• JaxisaRobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweeeet. Looking forward to it dude!
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    FIREBERT! you are picking my Favorite GG champ, you are my hero! really looking forward to this one. Where are you taking her? with time as a factor all those hidden weapons and injuries could take a pretty interesting turn :D
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    I like her, has one of the coolest and balanced GG designs
    she also got awesome voiceover
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Keeping my eyes on this one, I sense much coolness in it's future
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    JaxisaRobot: thanks man :)

jouste: YUS! that makes me really want to finish this man :D i've been thinking about where to take her for the past couple days before even beginning to add to, subtract, etc. i've thought about a punk style baiken, pirate style, etc. nothing beats the samurai man, and that's the hardest part. the essence of her character is so well founded and traditional that a redesign is uber tough! (for me anyway :P) so any suggestions you may have, i am all ears dude! as far as the hidden weapons, poly count, time, and general balance of which weapon to show was a tossup. the mace is obvious. i really thought about making a damn crazy machinegun in a dragon's mouth, but thought it would be a bit much. gonna try to keep it fairly realistic but still stylized. not going for an uber stylized look.

slipgate: that is exactly why i picked her, and will make this even more difficult (the other reason why i picked her). the design is so solid and grounded in tradition with a great sense of badass and sexiness. trying to keep all that a part of the character is going to be a great challenge for me, so i will need all the help i can get here :)
    WTF HAPPENED TO YOUR AVATAR!?!?!?!?!?!?

Jeremy-S: thanks for the encouragement dude! i really do hope i can push this to a nice cool factor.

Just a first pass at one idea i've had. Very difficult to make a sexy samurai more badass and more sexy!!!!!!!!!!! not a fan of the shin guards, but going for a futuristic-ish samurai look.
    any suggestions, advice, pointers, etc. would be more than helpful aside from my shite drawing abilities.
    may be a bit busy up top, but also some elements that clash too hard?
    belt and leg guards don't feel as futuristic as i would like at this point.

baiken_concepts1.jpg
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Cool, Cool, nice direction, interested to see how you will rework the materials of her clothes. Great Work!
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    I think it'd be worth looking at some old martial arts action flicks to get some more ideas to push this further. It's looking cool so far, but getting a bit more of an 'authenticity' feel might help exaggerate it to the right level and make it more interesting.

Watching this one, keep it up!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis: thanks man.

Base: i agree man. looked at a lot more ref tonite and started reworking some things. getting somewhat closer i think, but still not there yet.

gonna worry about backside and weapons once i solidify the basic look. the back i have in mind now is fairly simple, but i want to do a bunch of work on the hidden weapons so they are interchangeable and can be animated.

baiken_concepts2.jpg
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    playing w/color.

baiken_concepts3.jpg
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Looks cool! But Baiken is blind at her left eye and I'd make her hair a tad longer. :)
    Keep going!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks maph!
    refresh, fixed :P

and the start of a body sculpt to make my blockout on.
    baiken_prog1.jpg
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still got some tweaking to do to this, but going to go ahead and work on the blockout for everything else and worry about the rest of the body later. just wanted to get proportions at a place i am somewhat happy with.

baiken_prog2.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    woo there's your sexiness thread :3

awsome choice, i sooo wanted to do guilty gear at first :P
    gonna hang out till you post mo updates ^^
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    looking nice so far man :P
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nizza and striker: thanks guys :D

been busy per usual, but almost done with the blockout... still a fair amount left before the next step though.

baiken_blockout1.jpg
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    dat ass... needs some work lol :P

good stuff so far man, shes pretty buff. her bum does seem abit flat tho.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, ass is total crap atm :P

i am having a difficult time on balancing the buffness while trying to give the armor a nice sense of thickness.
    don't want her to feel buff though, so i will keep playing with it.
    thanks Mask :)

got other things to do right now, so another update may be a while. any other initial feedback is always more than welcome (lay it on my KP).
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    nice blockout, good balance between all elements

i think her shoulders were too wide in the sculpt but with the armorpieces it looks good
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    The block out looks good so far. I was kind of skeptical with the initial sculpt because it seemed too brawny and not sexy enough, but with the armor on it looks good. I'm not sure about the green in the color scheme, but the design of the armor itself is pretty cool. The sculpt's arms also look a little long, but it looks like the block out fixed it.

An odd thing about her costume is how much longer her right sleeve is than the left. The longer sleeve might look better if it was obviously something attached to the coat or if the coat's design looked like it was meant for asymmetry.

The hair looks good too, but I would add more volume to it. Some more to the bangs, and a lot more to the pony tail.