Home Technical Talk

zbrush and mudbox stability and autobackup

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
hey folks!

This goes out to people working with the current versions of zbrush and mudobx..

Can you tell me something about how stable they are with very poly intense objects or models with many subtools or many layers or all together?

Also IF the program crashes, are there some kind of autobackup features and how good do they work?

cheers!

Replies

• BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I don't really now about mudbox (I don't really use it) but zbrush is very stable here. But I think this hardware dependant, I've a powerful comp.

Autobackup exists in zbrush, but it's not recommended on vista/7 so I don't use it, but since v4.0 I don't recall crashing so far.
  • NordicNinja
    I haven't used Mudbox in years so I can't comment on it.

ZBrush 4 is stable for the most part although I've run into some problems with memory intensive stuff like masking/baking AO on a polyheavy model. Pixologic says that its "impossible" for v4 to corrupt files due to their file saving wizardry but they are a bunch of dirty liars. ;) I've noticed file corruption issues are a lot more common with when saving using zSpheres and the topology tools or using the new animation/explode features.

edit: I should prolly specify that I've noticed corruption in the Zproject files and not in the Ztool files.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    But I think this hardware dependant, I've a powerful comp.

I'm thinking this too. I'm running on a laptop that's getting a bit old now, and I find it is generally stable until I get past 1.5million points. Anything beyond that for me and its Russian Roulette whether or not I'll run out of memory and crash.

I haven't run into any file corruption issues with v4 yet, but I still save at least 2-3 versions of a tool anyway (and often).
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    thanks!! these are some great info.. think v4 of zbrush is what I'll check out.. getting a new comp so this should be not the prob :)
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    mudbox here..

with clean meshes and mud confrom uvs its really stable... if not you are in hell... (mud 2012 checks your file during import)
    mud creates .bak files beside the .mud file as backup... just rename the file to .mud...
    64bit version is much stabler than 32...