Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Soul Calibur, Voldo, Mongrelman

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
Think I'll give this a bash and try to do something intersting with an already interesting character.

Replies

• Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a couple of ideas at the moment; having him somewhat demonic, so the weapons for example would actually be his deformed hands or futurstic/cyborgy type thing which would give a chance to rework stuff like his goggles.

Which ever route, I'm aiming to work more into his bondage. Did a quick paintjob for an eye, cataracts then thought maybe have it held open so he always has a freaky dead stare and works with the bondage theme.

eye1s.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some reference

Voldo

voldoh.jpg

And some for the hell/demonic/corrupted idea

hellref.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An idea I'm exploring with Voldo meets Hellraiser.

voldohell1.jpg
  • Maio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maio polycounter lvl 11
    i reckon nailing your beauty pose is gonna be a challenge! how crazy are you gonna take it?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent a bit of time in Alchemy last night coming up with some thumbs for the cyborg/robot idea.

alchemythumbs4.jpg

Thinking something clean and elegant like the Metal Gear Solid 4 style and Deus Ex 3 stuff.

cyborgrefereces.jpg
  • Onuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I must say, I'm a bit disappointed that you aren't choosing to go the Hellraiser route. Also, judging by your reference, the sci-fi version won't have nearly enough exposed skin for Voldo. I'd really much rather see the Hellraiser version. Cenobite Voldo just screams awesome.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been umming and ahing trying to decide which direction to go. I really want to do some hard surface work as I've haven't in ages, but I think I'll keep that for a project after this. I think the mechanical route would detract from Voldo's 'freakish' character. So I'm going the cenobitish route.

Instead of just having a guy who is messed up, I was thinking of adding more character to him, thinking I might go with my own Scottish heritage and work that in. The hanging skin could mimic a kilt and I can try to work in other things. Perhaps he was a soldier who was caught and tortured then escaped and went nuts....or something. I'll do a paintover.

Whilst deciding, I did a base mesh and have started roughing in the main forms. I want him to have dead, staring eyes and his mouth sewn shut.

38510255.jpghttp://img705.imageshack.us/img705/417/38510255.jpg
  • Ithoual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice face :] I really like it !
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    Love the face. This entry makes me happy inside.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shifted some things a bit and did a quick paintover. He's got some sort of barb wire type thing around his legs and his weapons are nailed onto his arms. Also has some nails in the bones of his thorax and some sort of ornament hanging from a chain on his waist.

I think he's leaning a bit to far toward Kratos like this. Perhaps I should push towards a more demonic route.

35443096.jpg
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I think the demonic route would remove the aspect of him being odd, everyone knows that demons like body modification, perhaps take it the other way, in a religious flagelant kind of way, suffering for god and all that,such as his pain actually means something to him?

Of course this could all be nonsense, I hope you can hone in on what you want though man, the voldo re-work is looking good
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I like the religious aspect. I want to play both on him being in bondage and being a guardian so that could work both. I'll look into that. Cheers :)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying him as a former Knights Templar as that goes well with the religious/guardian idea. I've tried a small beard on him, put on a chainmail hood and started using bits of gear he'd have had to cobble together other weapons. I also did a wee picture to show him 'neutral' and 'defensive' where he brings his shield back together.

Still got further to explore with him but I like the direction.

10334440i.jpg
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm liking it. Isnt Voldo blind though? I think he needs something covering his eyes thats characterisically Voldo also some bondage bindings something that constricts his chest perhaps. I see Voldo using the bondage as a kind of safety, comfort thing. Thats why many people do bondage, it also works on animals pressure on the torso calms them, or so I heard.
  • ishii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great head basemesh! Really like the brow area
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.

Got a bit more time to work on him this lunch. Yeah he'll be blind, I'm going for a sort of dead eye, super cataract kind of route.

Did a wee paintover to rough out some ideas. I don't like the 'claws' as they are. Trying to think of what he could use to make them, just slapped some basic short sword blades as a placeholder.

58834170.jpg
  • Vidar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vidar polycounter lvl 17
    Scottish voldo, eh?

You freaky mongrel :D
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    You should have the noose round his package, to lift and accentuate.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    He's starting to look like one of the 9 kings from lord of the rings when ur in "frodo's ring vision"
    thats a good thing! i love it!
  • Shinrahunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sold on this one, I was never a Voldo fan though but always imagined him to be a tortured individual. I liked the initial idea of cataracts and his eyes held open with fish hooks.
    The sewn up mouth works for me and I would imagine his weapons to be embeded into his skin so that he is inflicted with pain when using them.