Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Joy Mech Fight, NEO, Valandar

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Valandar polycounter lvl 18
Yep, one of the weirdest of the first gen fighting games, and one of the last NES games made, Joy Mech Fight.

The idea is that each character is a robot - but their torsoes, heads, hands, and feet are all physically independant of each other, operating through remote control or magnets or something.

And this little guy is Neo: 73hqkcna186zmk2tcwb7dr8fsgk100-full.jpg

Yep, that's pretty much all I got to work with. Plenty of room to come up with new stuff, eh? :D

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Ha looks like fun, looks almost too easy no fair, the posing will be interesting on this one.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it IS a complete redesign... might include some form of energy tendrils connecting the parts, and also might turn the two "sparks" hovering over his head into something more like Bit from Tron...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think each floating part should have some old school rocket jets keeping it in the air.

edit: and also he could be gigantic. Tall building sized.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I chose that one because he was green. :D As for rocket jets, maybe a combo of jets and weird glowy anti-grav pads... well, grabbing some references for various bits and pieces to combine.

As for what looks like "elf ears", perhaps those will be antennae.

Meanwhile, I have been inspired! What we see above would be "Combat Mode". For cutscene and 'back at the ranch' type situations, all the parts would attach to the torso, possibly extending a pair of knees from the legs for him to be able to walk. And those 'hands' would actually unfold into useable fingers in this 'munchkin mode'.

EDIT:

And a handful of some of the refpics I'm going to draw on for the mechanical bits:

41vrcqi06ag86jzhpn3cnqoe4xpxzr-full.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I have already started on a WIP:

a4bmnvpdue7niz49jaukcc0lubts7m-full.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Und der Headbitz, mit a kvick rezizing uv der sprite! :D

8jppgzmo03kh6vvkhbuztyoked9kik-full.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Dang, movin fast.

I think you need to make the bottom half come up a bit in the center like a ninja mask, like in the sprite. Also, having the whole front "mask" curivign around back toward the "ears" would look cool too.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually preferred it without the ninja bit in the bottom center.

Meanwhile, started work on modelling the feet. Been a bit busy with paying work lately, so didn't get as much done as I would have liked:

11x5sqbsu5naj9tx3r1z3vrows31yh-full.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I do believe the high poly is finished.

e1zn35itjyi52p8h2wsfy5o0ewk4mz-full.jpg

The forearms disconnect from the arms below the elbow, and the remnants of the arms fold against the torso, and the feet disconnect from the legs below the knee, with the legs folding up against the torso. The head pops off, and the hands fold in to the forearms to make a sharp wedge, as the wings flatten out.

Yes, I know the original sprite had round "hands" with wings, but I like the wedge look a bit better, myself.

Now to start the low poly. Yay?