Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Mortal Kombat, SHANG TSUNG, Gav

Gav
quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Gav quad damage
So...here's what I'm thinking.

Shang Tsung is on the brink of death, has lost control of his powers and is basically frozen as a mutant - his original form combined with elements of other characters: an overly muscular arm of Goro, Barakka's spikes extruding from his wrist, Kano's metal plating, etc. (just examples, not 100% on those) He is still a powerful entity but has completely lost his mind and is only a shadow of his former self -

brawl_01.jpg

In terms of costume, I'm thinking a more modern version of his "younger" form. Padded leather pants with fancy detail work, yellow sash, black vest....thing...with the addition of split toed shoes and armoured shinguards. His actual body and face - the part that isn't mutated - will resemble more of his elderly self seen in MK1. The mutated half will be more bulky, along the lines of the Tank from L4D, but is normal sections will be rather frail.

I'm thinking about incorporating the "green skull soul effect" he has...somehow...but it may be too much. It could be cool to have little pockets of 'soul energy' throughout his mutation....as if it's try to break away from him..or have it veined through his body. I'm not entirely sure.

Throughout the comp, I'll be updating the first page with my most recent image as well as updating info as it becomes more solid. I tend to work on the fly for my personal projects and will most likely really figure things out as i go along - but I'm going to try and have a sketch up soon to show what I have in mind.

Gav

Latest:
brawl_03b.jpg

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Oh you sucker :) grab him while you could, very nice choice man can't wait to see what you do. The idea already sounds great like his powers are failing on him.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    YES, Gav is in.. this competition is already starting nice. Loving the idea so far too.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    OoOoOo, I dig this idea a lot!
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    Alright! Shang Tsung still hunts my childhood as one of the most cheating bosses of a game. Can't wait to see him re-imagined!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    sinz- Haha, he was the first to come to mind. Well, technically Kano was...but I think I'm tried enough big guys with metal things.

Skamberin- Thanks man, I think this comp is going to turn out some sick work

Geezus- ;)

So...here's what I'm thinking.

Shang Tsung is on the brink of death, has lost control of his powers and is basically frozen as a mutant - his original form combined with elements of other characters: an overly muscular arm of Goro, Barakka's spikes extruding from his wrist, Kano's metal plating, etc. (just examples, not 100% on those) He is still a powerful entity but has completely lost his mind and is only a shadow of his former self -

brawl_01.jpg

In terms of costume, I'm thinking a more modern version of his "younger" form. Padded leather pants with fancy detail work, yellow sash, black vest....thing...with the addition of split toed shoes and armoured shinguards. His actual body and face - the part that isn't mutated - will resemble more of his elderly self seen in MK1. The mutated half will be more bulky, along the lines of the Tank from L4D, but is normal sections will be rather frail.

I'm thinking about incorporating the "green skull soul effect" he has...somehow...but it may be too much. It could be cool to have little pockets of 'soul energy' throughout his mutation....as if it's try to break away from him..or have it veined through his body. I'm not entirely sure.

Throughout the comp, I'll be updating the first page with my most recent image as well as updating info as it becomes more solid. I tend to work on the fly for my personal projects and will most likely really figure things out as i go along - but I'm going to try and have a sketch up soon to show what I have in mind.

Gav

evilblah - Cheers. man, i remember finding his fatality when he was playable (the hold B one where he turns into the sub boss) with a friend - good times. Still a cheap boss in MK1 though.

disanski - :)

SHC - Haha!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    CHAMP OF THE WORLD!
    I'm just going to hang out in this thread and fap til it falls off.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    HAhahahaha man epic! Looking forward to seeing what happens with this!!!!
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    for some reason this is what I'm seeing:
    sp_0808_11_m4.jpg?width=200
    seriously, awesome concept
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    poor old man :<
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha=) this can be awesome! the movie wrong turn came to my mind.. GL!
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome man! Good to see some MK up in here. And it sounds like your really taking him places and having fun with him! Can't wait to see where you take him. Sounds like you got a lot of cool and fun ideas going on. I like the skinny/scrawnie stuff. Probably will stick out amongst the other entries from that alone.

Now you (we) can just hope for the time!!! :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    rv_el: Cheers man, glad to see you along for the ride as well. Hopefully we both make it to the end haha

Stertman: Cheers man!

CJE: :)

WTM: That's about right, hah

Haz: Thanks dude. I really wanted to try something abstract with this character - it's about the polygons that aren't there. It's about sending a message, you know? Eventually old age and death will get to us in the end and the more we try to cheat it - the bigger monsters we become...............

slip: He's fiiinnneee

SHC: ;)

SupRore: Darn Tootin

Champ@Champ.COM: A champ like you must have underlings to fap it for you, no?

Allllrrriiiggghhhtt....Been doing a little sketching and, honestly, this is probably as far as I'll take it. Time is a bit of a factor for me, so I'll just start hammering out a base mesh and hopefully show my idea a bit better in the THIRD DIMESNION. In the sketches, I don't think I really conveyed how frail, lanky and zombie like well, but the general idea's there - I'm thinking the mutated part will majorly be a Goro arm with a little (Total Recall) arm growing out of that...maybe Scorpio's with a flaccid spike hanging out...y the neck / right shoulder will be a mass of tumors that actually start to form other player's heads...like Nightwolf, Baraka, SubZero, etc.

I'd like to have little bubbles of "souls" but I'm not sure if that combines with the heads and what not will be too much going on. I'm thinking of having a mutated leg as well - maybe Cyrax? But it might be too much to read, we'll see.

brawl_02.jpg

Gav
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    Gav once again just like in the civil war your thumbnails and simple shading are so clean and great at giving the viewer enough details to know whats going on. I've still got a lot to learn sir! But really looking forward to where you take this character. You have a solid beginnings and I'll have to revisit my sketches to try to catch up! Sorry for rambling, ^_^ Looking forward to what you produce!

Let the games continue!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    sweet idea- fits right in with the lore. Should make great sculpting fodder.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    That's pretty damn sweet, Gav!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I like where you are taking this, great work!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Woah dude, I absolutely love the idea of having the other fighter's heads forming out of tumors. Fantastic concept! I'm really looking forward to seeing how this pans out for you and sorry to hear time is an issue, hopefully it doesn't become a non-finishing issue.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Gavin awesome! Cannot wait to see this fleshed out. I was hooked on the reading your concept. That's pretty awesome at this early stage. Great job so far on the backstory.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Azuryon: Cheers :)
    Dan!: Thanks man...yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to tackle this the best way.
    Maph: Thanks dude!
    wizo: cheers
    OC: Thanks! yeah, time is a bit of an issue - work's sort of busy right now, plus I'm moving to a new apartment next week...which is never fun.
    jeffro: Thanks man, hope to keep you interested :)

Alright my sweets...little bit of a rough sketch sculpt going on here. I figured it would be quicker to block out what I want on my sculpt and build a base to that (like I did in DW4) as I'm not 100% sure what is going to go where. so far, though, I have this:

brawl_03.jpg

Basically, lanky guy with a mutated shoulder / arm / back:

A: A forming torso of Kano trying to poke out into the world.
    B: Scoprion's face and arm
    C: One of Goro's muscly arms (I might make a second small one underneath at the back to really sell the...uh....Goroness of it)
    D: Raiden's face and hat.
    E: Baraka

All of the body parts would still be kind of gimpy, like not full formed versions but weird failures that resemble the real world part. I guess like the soul's Shangboy had consumed are trying to come back but aren't able to - showing that he's overpowered / on his last legs and losing control of his abilities.

So, a few things I'm thinking about experimenting with are material changes within the mutation. Like having Raiden's hat poking out with his face and having Kano's cyber eye and bandolier. I'm not sure if that would look weird or not - but could give me a good chance to change up the textures a bit...

I'm also thinking of looking into mesh insert (something I've never done) to help speed up the process for placing faces and skulls and what not...

For the waist down, I'm thinking of giving him the sash from his younger costume and maybe detaching where his "vest" would of been and having it hang from his belt in the back - right now having that would be too much on the torso, i think. In the game he has some yellow pants - I don't know - that might look goofy. I might keep it just to stay true to the character but Liefeld it up and add some belts and details to not have this huge patch of yellow. He also had black pants and yellow shin wraps...which could be an option. For the kneepads - which are obviously just blocked in - I might give him some metal shin guards like seen on SubZero / Scorpion...just to have a nonorganic material in there for interest...for the feet I'm still planning on split toe ninja booties.

Gav
  • Onuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm loving it.

Btw, didn't notice this dude in your references and he's got what you're going for going on: http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=2091

I think the extra materials will be good for it, but not completely. Like for Raiden's hat, have it transition from goopy-skin-whatnot into the woven material for the hat.

Looks awesome already though, keep it up!
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    hahahah oh god
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Looking awesome!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Cool stuff so far!

Definitely have Raiden's hat and Kano's cyber eye visible, those things are iconic and are a big part of their character. They'd be "just another" face sticking out otherwise imho. And yeah, makes for cool texture variation as well. :)
    Keep going man, this is going to rock!
  • g2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome dude,love that block out and pose :thumbup::poly142:
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Cool idea, coming along nicely! I like the awkward leg posing, I look forward to seeing more. :)
  • Digital Cantina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital Cantina polycounter lvl 11
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    mesh insert can be a real interesting technique - however the lack of using multiple subdivisions(to my knowledge) is a bit anoying as things can get a bit heavy real fast.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it, but I like the concept better than the model.

There`s something very angular and compact about the sketch that looks like he`s about to explode ass-kickery on me, maybe its the lack of pose or detail but he just feels too lanky and non-threatening right now, like an emaciated charger from l4d.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This is definitely shaping up to be one of the most badass entries.

Parts of it remind me of that kickass concept that Mr.Kite started a few years ago.

horrorshow.jpg

It'd be cool to have things feel a little like it's under the skin... like shapes of hands that aren't necessarily protruding, and maybe some more integration of anatomy.

Are you planning on making his face resemble Shang Tsung with the goatee, and the makeup?

:D
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Damn son!! If you pull this off with all those bodies and faces etc the world will bow down and pay homage!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    true lol, it is ambitious but with some love, he'll pull it off! Go Gav!
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    Maaaan so much work for you Gav. But wow it's looking great so far.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    SLOW DOWN! no seriously. awesome man. So Raiden, Scorpion and Barrakka? Looks like we like the same characters!
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hello my pets,

I've been working some weird hours as of late and preparing for a move (like I mentioned earlier) so my free time has been a bit lacking - but - i managed to sketch up another idea I've been having. It may be hard to make out in the image as I got a little lazy...but here's what I'm thinking. in order to centralize the detail of the forming body parts and souls and to manage my workload a bit better - What if these souls were crawling under his skin and started to burst out of his skin - creating these big bubble - egg sack sort of growths? In these growths would be more exposed skulls, mutant heads and body parts with MK fighters standing out from the crowd and the rest being "others." leading up to the sacks could be skulls and whatnot starting to bubble to the surface - The sacks could be coloured a bit differently to help give some colour and point of interest...so, basically he'd be bursting with soul devouring goodness -

brawl_03b.jpg

rv_el: Haha, thanks man - i actually feel like I'm going slow. Wrestling with some ideas of what i want to do vs. what i actually can do given the time vs. what is too much...you know...Definitely though, they're the characters I seem to be drawn to - hehe

Azuryon: Thanks!

Choi: Hah, i still love that concept..and kite, he's a handsome man with a cool wit. I'm thinking this new idea I have is more in line with what you said...having this gradual burst kind of thing could allow me to have some bubbling heads and arms but not fully breaking free. As for his face, I'm thinking more old guy from MK1 - no facepaint

wizo: ;)

Hazbot: Haha, I will be surprised myself. maybe give myself a nice pat on the shoulder or something...no bowing though, not how i roll.

Scudz: Thanks man :) I want him to actually come off as a bit sad - not necessarily helpless or anything - hopefully my updates will sell you on him!

Dan!: This is what I'm afraid of, I think I'll just bite the bullet and do it the old fashioned way.

Onuris: cheers, thanks for the extra ref :)

slip: 8==O

onelung: Thanks!

Maph: Thanks dude! Definitely agree with you.

g2000: Thanks!

Endr: ;)

J: Hey hey man! Thanks :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Quick additive post, really REALLY rough test trying something out:

brawl_03c.jpg

Wondering if it would look better with a really huge arm and bigger back / shoulder area for the soul pockets.
  • Tyrone70
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the bigger arm, especially since his hand is on the floor now.
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    I know this is a rough wip, but I would probably shorten the smaller arm so there's more of a difference. Like almost normal proportions. That way the other arm looks even larger by comparison.

Not much else to say though because it looks so awesome! Can't wait to see it even more fleshed out.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    The large arm idea is cool, its pushing out that silhouette and giving a nice focal point for the eye. Perhaps it would be worth considering a counter-weight for his other arm (or take some of Jax's cybernetic parts) to make his frail body look like it can handle the weight without him falling over.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gl on your move Gav and entry it is looking real nice man! Don't let Haz/Slip con you into not finishing show them suckers what yrs of making zombies will do to you.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    This is looking really promising :). I'm eagerly awaiting your more detailed sculpts when you have the proportions nailed down.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Shit dude! That's what I'm talkin about.

Can you imagine if that guy was your dad??
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Wow, this is pretty sick! Great work, Gav.
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    I love this idea! It would be awesome if you gave him the Fu Manchu 'stache like old Shang Tsung!
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    This is looking pretty awesome, can't wait to see more! *sits with anticipation*
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, remember in Mortal Kombat when the round is over and the announcer goes "FINISH HIM!"...

just sayin...