Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Sketchbook] dannedadon

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone! Im still studying (currently on an internship working with props) And I thought Id start a sketchbook here to post everything and its kinda cool to see your progress over time.

Always appreciate feedback =)

So here it is. some stuff ive been doing recently
ranger01.jpg
ranger02.jpg

securityGuardPresentation.jpg

miranda_by_danial_rashidi.jpg

salarian.jpg

Replies

• dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A 40 min speedsculpt
    alienSculptPresentation.jpg
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man, you've got some good stuff going here, the ranger is pretty cool - the stuff on her face isn't reading for me, i can't tell what it is supposed to be, it just sorta looks like an out of place blob.

Also since you have two presentation shots of her only slightly different in pose due to the other weapons, I think you could cut that down by adding just one shot of her posed with the other weapon and the turnaround shots with the bow. Then you could also present the sword and bow next to each other as a shot by themselves. Her stomach looks like it could use a little more definition as it looks flat in a fake kind of way. Great job on the fabrics and i love the placement of her arrow clutch as well as the cape design and overall look of the character, this is my fav piece of yours so far.

The security guard is a nice piece, I feel you are letting him down by having his platform be a flat plane, just a wee bit of dimension could help, or just removing it altogether in favor of one of those curved backgrounds for him to stand on. The (what I think is a) gun holster wouldn't really work if he had a gun, because the strap covers the open slot for the gun, this would typically just be attached behind the holster onto the belt. If it's not a gun holster than forgive me haha but if that's the case then I also can't tell what it is. Again though, good stuff.

The miranda sculpt is pretty awesome all around, stylized and nothing really stands out as being wrong to me, thumbs up!

Your other stuff is okay, I think the demon is my least favorite piece, the proportion of his horns to his head make it look like he wouldn't even be able to support his head, and the overall flatness of his face causes similarities with your two alien sculpts that is starting to make you look slightly limited in abilities, I think you can push this guy more and have a great piece in the end.

Can't wait to see more :D
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey duckworth. First of all, thanks for really taking the time and giving me some good feedback. Writing a long reply like that takes a lot of though. Appreciate it.

The thing on her face is supposed to be some sort of tribal tattoo, a little dragon age:ish blood red markings. Tried some different variations but didnt find one better than this. But I definitely see what youre saying and youre right, without an explanation it seems like some random stuff on her face.

Id like to add a real pedestal on both the security guard and the ranger. Some sort of sci-fi stand with a few wires and tubes for him and maybe a small patch of grass with a bush or two for her. But again youre right, the plane might not be working out to well for the security guard.

hehe, it is a holster. I honestly dont remember why i modeled it like that. I think I followed some concept that I liked, but i must have missed the obvious opening/latch that would allow you to take out the gun :P

The rest are mostly practice and speed stuff, faces overall are my weakest part so Im going to try to focus more on them from now on. But ill try to do some with a little more different features.

Things to fix:
    -- Ranger --
    - Facial markings
    - Tone down saturation of her skin
    - Define the stomach
    - Combine the two shots of her with the sword and with the bow

-- Security Guard --
    - Do a real pedestal
    - Remove the holster strap.

Thanks again man, really appreciate the time you put into writing that.
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey!
    Im sorta starting a new character on the side. Thought id take a week off from any project and just do sculpts when I come home. But I started looking at a few concepts and I wanted to start this. So this is going to be my next char, a little older cop with a nice bulletproof vest and a trench coat. Hes going to change a lot, get older and thinner.

Of course this is a wip, theres lots of things that need or be fixed
    gordon01.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wrong subforum?
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooooooooooh, didnt know there was a sketchbook section. thanks man. is there any way i can move this there or does an admin have to step in and do it?