Home Technical Talk

3DS Max freeze while UVW editing

Hello everyone,

As you may have guessed, I'm new to this forum and modeling/3DS Max overall. I'm currently working at my third model in 3DS Max and have run into my first problem I'm clueless about, at the UV Mapping stage.

Basically, I have unwrapped all the polygons and am now trying to put them together to a handy UV Map in the "Edit UVW's" dialog of the "Unwrap UVW" Modifier on my model converted to an editable mesh. But whenever I directly click on a vertex inside that dialog or try to move a selection, the whole program freezes for about 4-10 seconds, where it's just "Not Responding". Selecting vertices with a rectangle and rotating or scaling them works fine.
I can't possibly get around with this kind of problem and am therefore seeking for help. poly126.gif

3DS Max Version: 2010 64-Bit
Graphics: Nvidia GTS 250, latest drivers
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2

I have already tried making a clean install of updated Graphic drivers, but that didn't help at all.

Has anyone else ever experienced a similar problem or does anyone know what could be causing it or how it could be resolved?

Thanks in advance for responses.

Edit: My model has 616 polys. What I also noticed might be special (Didn't have problems with my previous model) is that there are polygons that are traversing eachother, where I just modeled a part first and then moved it onto another one.

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    How many polies is the model your trying to unwrap? also whats your processor and memory?
  • PoisonHeadcrab
    aajohnny wrote: »
    How many polies is the model your trying to unwrap? also whats your processor and memory?

Oh yeah forgot to put that in, my model has 616 polys.

Processor is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz
    4 GB DDR2 Memory

I have also been using the same UV-Unwrapping technique on my last model with 333 polygons and have not experienced any problems at all.
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does it crash on other models, or just this one.

stl check for mesh errors.

My guess is theres a problem with your geo. I've had a modle that crashed the uvw editor before, an stl check revealed problems with the mesh. fixed problems, and no more crashes. mine was a 'double face' i believe...

Hope it helps :)
  • Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

I had this problem before but it was during the first release with UVW Unwrap... It was a weird issue related to having 3 monitors. Even with 2 this would happen.

Do you have more then 1 monitor? If so try setting it to “clone”.

I had a similar issue also with a more recent release. This time it was related to an external plugin that was giving all sorts of errors including a freeze on the UVW dialog.. Any 3rd party plugins installed?

It might also help to install all the service packs/hotfixes from Autodesk.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13642460&linkID=9241178

Another cause can also be “weird skin (theme) software” running on your Windows 7...Do you have anything like that installed?

Let me know how if any of that helps.

Btw what display mode did you select? Opengl, Directx? 9,10,11?
  • PoisonHeadcrab
    I have now tried installing the Service Pack 1 for 3DS Max as well as putting an STL check on my model (how the above posters suggested), that showed me 16 open edge-errors. So I began messing around trying to fix those in a copy of the 3ds file, when I converted the model to editable mesh again and put an UVW Unwrap Modifier on it. In the "Edit UVW's" dialog, that problem I described was gone, although the UV's were all messed up because of my attempts to fix the open edge-errors.

So back in the original file I just had the idea of converting the model to editable poly and then right back to editable mesh and that actually worked! :D
    With the Unwrap UVW Modifier back on I could easily move things around again, although I noticed that if I try to move them while zoomed in absurdly close, a similar problem appeared where it would just freeze for 1 sec or so.

Must be some kind of strange bug I guess... Anyways the problem seems solved now, thank you all for the help! ^^
  • Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad its solved. That is a weird issue.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I have now tried installing the Service Pack 1 for 3DS Max as well as putting an STL check on my model (how the above posters suggested), that showed me 16 open edge-errors. So I began messing around trying to fix those in a copy of the 3ds file, when I converted the model to editable mesh again and put an UVW Unwrap Modifier on it. In the "Edit UVW's" dialog, that problem I described was gone, although the UV's were all messed up because of my attempts to fix the open edge-errors.

So back in the original file I just had the idea of converting the model to editable poly and then right back to editable mesh and that actually worked! :D
    With the Unwrap UVW Modifier back on I could easily move things around again, although I noticed that if I try to move them while zoomed in absurdly close, a similar problem appeared where it would just freeze for 1 sec or so.

Must be some kind of strange bug I guess... Anyways the problem seems solved now, thank you all for the help! ^^

Careful when zooming in super close, as you mentioned. It happens all the time, starts chugging like mad.
  • tabacaru.mvlad
    thank you guys for helping me , had the same problem, freezes for 10 sec when working in uwv mapping. Convert to editable mesh then switch back to poly solves this annoying bug. Wasted some time till i figured it out with your help