Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jmiles Hotrod WIP

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
hey dudes.. started something new this weekend.. modeling a Ford Model T hotrod.. just getting started really.. the wheel was a little bitch.. does anybody have some better suggestions of reference on how the wheel is attached to the car itself?.. I've been trying to dig around on google and any hotrod website I could find... so now I have to ask around.. any help and critique on this is appreciated.. peace

Miles

the ref

env98sql.jpg

and my model

hotrodprogress01.jpg

Replies

• jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    here's an update to my car.. gonna remesh and texture it up this weekend.. crits and advise always appreciated.

mileswadsworthhotrodcon.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    for the highpoly version you don't really need to show the wires of it before it's being smoothed, just show the high poly wires and the high poly smoothed, doing it like this makes it looks like that is your low poly, the upholstery seems like it's a little more shallow than in the ref, looking great though - keep it up!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    not sure sometimes its nice to see a well made cage mesh
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Agreed, id rather see the cage.....more useful to help other people rather than 'look how many times i pressed subdivide'
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav wrote: »
    Agreed, id rather see the cage.....more useful to help other people rather than 'look how many times i pressed subdivide'

well that makes sense if your goal is to help others, but as a portfolio piece i'd say it was unnecessary - but then again I don't yet have a fulltime job so who am i to say lol.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    thanks guys.. yeah I was required to show this as apart of my class homework assignment: cage, facet view, NURBs view
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    looking goood!
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NURBs view? were you converting these to NURBS or did you just mean subd?
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    er... excuse me.. NURMS sub-d.. here is an update to what I've got.. normals are baked and are layered w/ AO maps in 3Point Shader Light

mileswadsworthbakednorm.jpg

mileswadsworthwires.jpg

hotrodmaps.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Great model and bake! Now, why even map the wheels separately, they're pretty much identical.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    bad ass model and great normals
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Thanks guys.. yeah Felipe, I thought about that later after everything had been done.. -_-.... I think I can cut that map in half had have it work fine
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles wrote: »
    Thanks guys.. yeah Felipe, I thought about that later after everything had been done.. -_-.... I think I can cut that map in half had have it work fine

Yeah, simple as that, thank god you didn't put the wheels in the same map as the rest of the car. :v
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    haha yeah.. that would have been a bad move ;)
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Holy hell, that's awesome. Really inspirational, reminds me I need to do a proper subd/normal mapped car one of these days.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    I'm calling this done..

mileswadsworthcolor03.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Brilliant, really clean and awesome work. The only issue is the normal map looks a bit odd underneath the vinyl top thingie around the cab and it seems to be lacking AO. I'm modeling a Morris Cowley Bullnose after seeing this thread :D
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could give it an extra couple of hours of love and tweak a few things before wraping it up IMHO, mainly the specular map. Metal parts look like grey plastic and the car paint could be a little more pearlescent and flakey. From the images I assume you're using a black and white specular level map? If so consider using a colored specular map to define these materials better and maybe even a gloss map. If you're using Xoliul's shader, which I again assume you are, you can do a couple of tricks to get some nifty metallic paint. From Laurens' site itself:

GlossMapAnim.gif
    A Glossiness map is supported to control the sharpness of specular highlights. This map should be in grayscale format.
    Using Glossiness Level (which doubles as global gloss control if no map is used) and Gloss Offset, you have precise control over how the black to white range of the glossmap is used by the shader.
    In the example, a noisy glossmap combined with a Level of 75 and Offset of 52, is used to fake metallic paint flakes.

This plus a orange/yellowish color on the specular and I think you're set. If you're really tired of it at least make a reflexion map so the fresnel doesn't hit everything so uniformly. :D
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Cool.. thanks Felipe, I'll give that a try.. I have to move on to my next project, but I will certainly keep it in mind.. I actually did play with a paint flake material in my spek map.. i think it's a little subtle from this distance.. and the reason my material seems under-lit with a blue color is because I have a little bit of Fresnel showing..

I'm actually using 3point light shader at the moment, and yea I was trying to get the real-time reflection to work.. have a cube map for it and everything, and I would REALLY like to get that to work... any suggestions?.. I'll probably have to see if they have documentation about it in their website.. but if you know anything, let me know... cheers
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, never really used the 3ps enough, only messed around with the lite version when it was released, but it should be simple. If everything fails try the Xoliul shader, there are tons of reflection settings.