Miya - Fantasy Character Project

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
Most recent pic:
miya1.jpg
miya2f.jpg
miya3.jpg

Got another character to design and create, and I've put it off a bit too much so it's time to cut to this one for a bit. Firstly I'll apologize for the shoddy drawings, but it's necessary for me to develop the character through concepts which I need your input on before going on to creating her.

Using a silhouette I have drawn up some sketches and thumbnails. I made 16 of them (with a bit of mix n matching), using real clothes and improvised. I've then expanded on 3 with contrasts.

concepts.jpg

thumbscontrast.jpg

So importantly, which of them do you prefer? 1, 2 or 3? (Doesn't have to be the 3 ones below if you prefer another) Then throw anything you have at me :) I could use the feedback.

Replies

• Grenade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The one in the upper right corner seems like an interesting fellow (on the thumbnail pic)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I actually like the silouettes you've drawn up a lot, gives me some inspiration to try out design ideas before jumping into 3D straight away... plus I'm not much of a painter, so planning it out like this would really help!

Have you got some kind of background for her like is she going to be more of a fighter or rogue-ish character?
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    I like the 2nd/middle one. I love flappy/loose clothing.
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked the one wearing shorts (the denim one) though :3
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oo comments

@Grenade - That's cool, so would that count as the middle one in the picture below?

@Torch - Thanks :) Just looks like it's a fairly normal way to start a character design from what I've looked at. My project is actually a main final year project which is about looking at the design and creation of characters, and the product of it is to create a better character from it. Yeah there's kind of information about the character which I could post up but basically she's a young woman stuck having to defeat bosses and obtain orbs, armed with her magical glove which can do magic and pack a punch. So between mage and fighter I guess?

@NightFlarer - Thanks!

@Hatsya - Cool, is that the 2nd picture across from the top set of thumbnails?
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting a pretty good idea of which one to advance forward, although I forgot to ask people why they picked what they did.. silly me. If anyone has a sec to pick from the images above and then say why they picked that particular one it'd be great :thumbup:. Just things like: What area of the one you picked made the decision for you? Do you prefer the original thumbnail to the contrast one? Any opinions you have. Thanks!
  • Grenade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess I imagined the one in the upper right corner without the shoulder guard, my bad :)
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey. Just been drawing up ideas and more stuff based on feedback from different places. Looked at the contrasts a bit more for the most popular one and looked at the different choices made.

Here are some thoughts:

ideasg.jpg

So any crits you have would be great and maybe a choice between the three thumbs:

thumbsnew.jpg

And/Or if you liked the first design which contrast?

thumcontrastnew.jpg

And any reasons as to why you picked them and any thoughts you may have would help me a lot :)
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be frank, I wish we can keep all of her clothes, but that might render your game a bit fan-service-ish ala The 3rd Birthday (Aya Brea had lotsa costumes!)
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've finalised my design and cracked on with the modelling stage. Just on subdiv 3 on the body so far in ZBrush but everything else is pretty much untouched.

miya2.jpg
    pic1d.jpg
    pic2bh.jpg
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And some more progress:
    progz.jpg
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update for tonight:

prog2ip.jpg
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno if you fixed it but in the image above the last one you posted she's really leaning forward, looks like she'd fall over lol
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I was thinking that, it makes it look even moreso because of the jacket being pushed further back because of the belt. Did a bit of fixing and moved the shoulders forward a bit. Did an overlay to see the difference better: (green+orange new, red+orange old)

fixd.jpg
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed the positioning a bit more:
    prog3t.jpg

And changed the face a bit to match her personality more:
    facechange.jpg

Accessory planning:
    symbolsl.jpg

Current progress:
    prog4.jpg

As usual any feedback appreciated :thumbup: thanks!
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress with the texturing now:

texturestart.jpg

texsi.jpg
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pow

poseda.jpg

Finishing her up now. Needs some reflection map on the metal parts of the feet. Really liking the xoliul shader atm.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turned out better than i expected, giving me a dreamcast fighting game vibe
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :) yeah it did turn towards a fighting game sorta character.
  • KJ*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KJ* polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, i like what you've got here. I do have a few problems with it though and im not sure if anybody agrees but....

The texture looks like it could do with some more work. what you've got so far looks pretty cool though but the shoes look a little boring at the moment and although your adding to that i think it could do with some more detail. Up to you though.

The gloved hand looks slightly odd and im not sure if i can see seams in it, i agree with achillesian though it looks like it would fit into a beat-em-up type game.

Other than that its awesome man.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks KJ. Yeah I think I'm going to try and polish her up soon for a portfolio. Not sure what else to add to the shoes, they did have some zbrush detail but that's been lost in the texture.

Yeah the glove seams are in the texture and not the unwrap.

I think she kinda fails at being an adventure type of character.. lol.
  • Stealthyfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, it's lookin pretty good, but I think her shirt under her jacket could use some love. It looks pretty rigid I really like the print on the jacket though :) good work
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wicked sir! I guess just add more detail to the textures and looks as if she's quite bright athough that could just be your lighting setup!

My main beef is that her hand isn't clenched properly lol... Curve the fingers in 1st and then the thumb.. looks like the fingers are just slightly curled at the moment.. Easy and quick tweak
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback. I've polished her a bit to be handed in. The hand has been fixed to look more clenched, the hair was fixed, and some work on the boots. I'm not sure on the yellow tint on there but yeah I'll roll with it. Pics:

miya1.jpg
    miya2f.jpg
    miya3.jpg

If anyone wants to answer these questions then it'd help me a bit :) but it's not serious:
    - Does this type of character appeal to you?
    - Can you see this character being the main character of an Action-Adventure game?
    - Would you want to play as this character?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback throughout the project :thumbup:
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, and perfect to be played in Dante's Inferno / Devil May Cry fashion. Yes, and if it'll be a truly game, can we change her clothing ala-The 3rd Birthday?

Clothing destruction may not be pulled off as of this time though.
  • ultramedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    Two thumbs up from me for playing a game with her as a lead character. I really enjoyed playing through Beyond Good and Evil, and for some reason she reminds me of Jade from that.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man, you're improving, congrats! Just some crits and stuff to look out for your next model. The model is technically good (poly flow, etc.) but the knees could use a couple of edge loops (see pic) to keep the shape of knees when the leg bends or it'll end up as a sharp angle.

crits.png

The face could also be improved on, the shape is in a sort of triangular prism like what I have drawn over, so it could be a little rounder or flatter.

The specular is a bit strong on the face as well, but it works pretty well on the arms and legs. Also the eyebrows are a bit thin, could be bit thicker.

Well those are only major things that I've noticed :)