Home General Discussion

Volcanic activity in Yellowstone rising, along with other volcanoes

These rises of volcanic activity began to occur at the same time of the quake.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFi-4Ma5DYk[/ame]

Kinda freaky.

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I wouldn't doubt it. 8.9 is a significant quake. The power of that traveled along the entire ring of fire, from which the yellowstone caldera isn't far from. I think it's pretty easy to see the connection. I don't think yellowstone is going off anytime soon though (lets hope).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the announcement of Maya2012 at GDC not that long ago...

Yea with so many quakes happening around the ring of fire... I wonder why the west coast of the US hasn't gone off yet.

I also doubt Yellowstone is going to go off, if it does, holy crap is everyone on the planet screwed. I wonder what's going on in Iceland too, since it seems to be capable of great destruction also... It would pretty freaky if things picked up there also.

Don't worry its just the mole people digging their way out of the hallow earth using nukes, nothing to worry about.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    I live 30 miles from Yellowstone, stop it guys.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Iceland had some rumbles a few weeks back which is apparently going to kick off some volcano action soon. :<
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Yellowstone erupting would probably turn the world into "The Road".
    Glad I live in Norway, hope nothing terrible like that happens.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Srsly. Yellowstone scares the pants out of me.

This other stuff does too, though.
    Gah! So much weird stuff. Animal die-offs, huge earthquakes, civil unrest in the Middle-east and Afrika (I spell it that way)

It's all just so crazy. I don't know what to think on days like these.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Yellowstone hasnt kicked off in like 700,000 years or something stupid like that.

If it blew it would wipe the US out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People that go looking for doom and gloom forecasts will always find it.
    Y2K is going to ruin the WORLDZ!! STOCK UP ON BATTARIEZ AND TEA-PEE!
    EAT THE POODING ALIENS ARE COMING!

On the bright side if we do get some horrific volcanic activity it could throw a kink in global warming by throwing up massive amounts ash something akin to nuclear winter! See its not all bad! heh... yea we're all fucked hopefully you're lucky and you're sitting on the powder keg when it blows instead of horribly maimed or forced to eat family pets or neighbors...
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the bright side if we do get some horrific volcanic activity it could throw a kink in global warming by throwing up massive amounts ash something akin to nuclear winter! See its not all bad! heh... yea we're all fucked hopefully you're lucky and you're sitting on the powder keg when it blows instead of horribly maimed or forced to eat family pets or neighbors...

Or if you live in a country where severe frost and cold and lack of sun hasn't been an issue for millennia, where people settled during the last ice age, when we had even less :P

I mean worse things have happened earlier in the planets history, it didn't wipe out life then, it won't wipe out life now. Seriously.

Unless the entire world is flat and everyone does nothing but stand around and breathe in the smoke, people will survive.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Yellowstone erupting would probably turn the world into "The Road".
    Glad I live in Norway, hope nothing terrible like that happens.

You live in Norway and yet you think America is 'the world'? :P I expect that from an american but... or are you talking about the economic result of such a disaster?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The entire world would be affected by the ashcloud from the resulting eruption, so I imagine the entire world would look like The Road/Next-gen Game :P, at least for a while
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O.o

That's gonna be a hot day, huh?
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If yellowstone does blow and I know I'm going to die, I'm sitting with a cigar and beer on my porch and watching it rain black.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemlet17 wrote: »
    If yellowstone does blow and I know I'm going to die, I'm sitting with a cigar and beer on my porch and watching it rain black.
    Now that's an album cover.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Apparently, according to nasa, there is to be some serious solar activity in 2012. This latest tectonic shifting may be a sign of things to come, I really hope not:\
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP wrote: »
    Apparently, according to nasa, there is to be some serious solar activity in 2012. This latest tectonic shifting may be a sign of things to come, I really hope not:\

The neutrinos are mutating? roflmao..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    You live in Norway and yet you think America is 'the world'? :P I expect that from an american but... or are you talking about the economic result of such a disaster?
    You overstate American arrogance and under estimate the impact a super volcano would have on the world... If it was located in Europe I would still be worried about my survival in the US.

The hotspot in yellowstone extends nearly halfway to the center of the earth, or so they suspect... It would make the recent Icelandic volcano activity look like a pimple. If iceland kicks off like it has in the distant past when it carved the fjords it could rival yellowstone for destruction. At least sea levels would raise dramatically thanks to all the water being released so quickly.

If they go off together we have raising seas, blanketed skies and all manor of chaos.

The first half of this is, yea US you're screwed, so skip to 35:00

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7as7Ej_U6yU[/ame]

With all that said, It's probably a safe bet to bet on old age getting everyone here, before a super volcano does...
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It's probably a safe bet to bet on old age getting everyone here, before a super volcano does...

Vig, your such a pessimist :D
    bbob wrote: »
    The neutrinos are mutating? roflmao..
    Indeed, let me see if I have a spare tin foil hat because you will need it in 2012 :p
  • Ryan Smith
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    So if us Americans will have to become refugees, where's the best spot to go to after yellowstone blows?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    So if us Americans will have to become refugees, where's the best spot to go to after yellowstone blows?
    I heard Antarctica was great, anywhere but Norway, Norway is the worst place to be, ever.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyler wrote: »
    I read somewhere that if Yellowstone went off, the entire world would be covered in around 6-inches of ash.

Pretty much, it's like when Krakatoa went off, the world was dark for a looong time, crops were ruined and a long winter set in.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the contrary I believe such an event would just create a huge blamegame by the ignorant majority. Leading to more racism and hatred, while I'd like a second renaissance to change the world for the better, it probably wont happen.

Also what about my games, I can't play my games if the world ends :(
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    On the contrary I believe such an event would just create a huge blamegame by the ignorant majority.

The jews were responsible for yellowstone going off because of their jewiness.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hope yogi bear and boo boo are ok
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Well everyone knew these things happen, just let it happen and then rebuild again, ON THE EXACT SAME PLACE, WITHOUT MUCH MODIFICATION TO PREVENT IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN.

I pray for east Asia.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, as sick as it might sound. I think this world needs an event like this. Those who survive will have a world which would mostly be re-generating itself again. The horrible buildings from the 70's onwards would be gone, and people would hopefully come together to start over. I'd very much like to think some of the major world issues (racism, religion, etc.) would work themselves out too, if something so huge happened.

Oh yes, violence, ignorance and bigotry have only gotten worse. If we just could go back to more peaceful neolithic societies with the quaint human sacrifices and no rule of law.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    Holy shit, 14 year old shitting his pants right now. While old age might catch some of you before this does, my generation or my kids generation might not be so lucky. To me it looks like this fucker could hit long island.

And I'm with bbob, chaos like this would put everyone into survival mode, and basically people would fuck each other up
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, as sick as it might sound. I think this world needs an event like this. Those who survive will have a world which would mostly be re-generating itself again. The horrible buildings from the 70's onwards would be gone, and people would hopefully come together to start over. I'd very much like to think some of the major world issues (racism, religion, etc.) would work themselves out too, if something so huge happened.
    Those would be monuments to horrible architecture, frozen in time...

But I understand your core point, in the face of massive adversity people tend to pull together. I would add to that, people often get pretty paranoid about "strangers" after the initial trauma is over. Basically there is a window after something happens where people pull together and then those bonds solidify and new people are a threat, especially as resources get scarce.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    The horrible buildings from the 70's onwards would be gone

Hmm yes thats a huge priority right now... I often think on my way to work 'wow, that building is FUGLY, wish a tsunami would come in and wipe it away... never mind the people'. :P

I get what you mean. I hate what we have done to this planet. Those images of all those cars washed up and smashed in Japan today had me thinking, that last time there was a quake that strong in Japan, the worst sight would have been mudslides, destroyed villages and temples. Now...

...but nevertheless, the loss of innocent human life is a serious tragedy.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    @Tyler - Like Carlin once said... nature just allows us to survive cause it needed someone to make plastic.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Scary crap, guys! Hoping I can at least get married and work in the industry for a few years before this all goes south. :(
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So then what happens? Is Satan going to drop by for a holiday?
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    flaagan wrote: »
    @Tyler - Like Carlin once said... nature just allows us to survive cause it needed someone to make plastic.

PLAAASTIC!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw[/ame]
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Virtuosic wrote: »

Blast it, now I have to go watch that stupid film again.

I hated how the step father just dies and everyone's just like, yay hugs!.

More on topic however, event's like this make me very nervous living in San Fran.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Oh noes! The world is ending.....
    God damn this guy is a fear monger. OMG MAJOR WORLD EVENT GAIS..GRAB UR TINFOIL HATS.

All of these eruptions are on the ring of fire. Big earthquakes and volcanic eruptions are commonplace pairings. This was in the top 7 biggest earthquakes in recorded history. That much activity ripping down the already active ring of fire of the pacific plate - it's no wonder there are eruptions. I'm surprised there aren't more big earthquakes along the faults.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That's a given. It's gotta be a little concerning for other folks situated around the edge of the Pacific tectonic plate though. A big quake in New Zealand then a bigger one in Japan a couple of weeks later? Gotta be a lot of places in the world that're a bit worried at this point. The entire west coast of Canada, North and South America for instance.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobody credible said the world is ending, but it wouldn't be smart to ignore the patterns in regards to what is going on.

Just spreading the news. Volcanic eruptions are pretty rare and for them to happen like that is pretty concerning.

The Japan volcanic eruption happened hours before the earthquake as well.... which is also concerning.

I'm concerned because I live in WA.
  • Disaster
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like some people took my statement out of context a little. What I meant was. One of these days mother nature will wreak havoc on humanity. Personally while I would feel sorry and saddened by the death of innocent people (perhaps including myself!). Its like natures defensive blow. Take out the virus thats killing it off, it'll thrive and the human race could continue on and re-start after the innitial devastation.

All humanity is, at the end of the day, is an animal. We like to think of ourselves as better than ants, dogs, fish, etc. But really we're as vunerable as any of those creatures when it comes down to the sheer force nature can put on us.

This planet is slowly (not really slowly) but surely declining into a lack of resources, space and ozone layer. Thats all because of us. We are like a virus. Theres no denying it. If there were less of us, those few would have a better future. Minus the innitial devastation (of course).

Naturally, like everyone else. I don't want to die before my natural death should come. We all live to survive. I don't wish for a lot of people to die, but it's proven to happen in history (plague for example, the wiping out of the dinosaurs, etc.)

You make it sound like the planet is an agent with intent.. :P

Its just a tiny rock in space, sometimes shit happens and a lot of things die, not of any reason or because it "has to be". It just does. Don't look for meaning, just duck and cover.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah ... everyone shut up and stop fear mongering now. If it happens, it happens. We are insignificant. Let's just enjoy today.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Cmon people... the earth is 4.6 billion years old... Like Carlin said in that video: We will end before the earth does...
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    With Leonard Nimoy saying the mayan calendar is ending a year early and this video posted on facebook earlier, I may start crafting an obsidian lava-boat.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG87v9-ROfw[/ame]
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    couldnt they have picked any other time besides christmas, fuckin creepy
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    wasn't the world supposed to end 11 years ago?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have a massive bunker stuffed with Charmin...
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justin - Well yeah but that was only because of an internet calander stopping at the year 2000. This however seems a tad more logical because of the natural cause.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh you mean because some mayans didnt bother to finish a calender?