Home Technical Talk

BFS 2400 - Maya Viewport Shader

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone, my good friend Ivan Arellano created a new realtime shader for all of you Maya users out there - check it out, it's free!

tumblr_lhs0xqpmSv1qfae6go1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1299809856&Signature=MSUYulvRJHDj5K4ASMScZXexF6s%3DBFS2400.jpg

Download his new shader here

His website - http://blog.ivanarellano.com/

Crit's are welcome,
Enjoy everyone!

Replies

• chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work! It's great to see other people learning this stuff as there are so few resources available. Looking forward to Maya 2012, hopefully we will get alot more support for advanced CGFX stuff.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    chronic wrote: »
    Nice work! It's great to see other people learning this stuff as there are so few resources available. Looking forward to Maya 2012, hopefully we will get alot more support for advanced CGFX stuff.

Amen to that. Post processing and better shadow support and I'll be the happiest Maya user around.

Nice to see more shaders indeed.
  • IvanA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for posting Derrick!

Hi, I'm the author of this shader. If you have any comments feel free to drop a line here. Also, I just posted a feature list at my website if you're inclined to peek. I'm still adding more features every other day. Last night I added DXT5_NM compression compatibility because I felt that a 12mb texture was bit too large. :\

BTW thanks for starting the uberShader Chronic! It was a huge inspiration to start with. Thanks kodde. Two great shader writers! :D

Oh and hi Polycount. I'm fresh blood, not sure how the rituals are here.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    That shader's looking pretty sexy, i'm gonna try it out now. :D
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    nice stuff. More shaders to refer to :)
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Way cool, thanks so much! Ill play around with it tonight and see if I can give any constructive feedback. Also, welcome to polycount:)
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Enodmi I can't wait to see what you come up with! If you have anything you'd like to contribute to his "showcase" i know he'd really appreciate it, the only model we have to play with I can't put up anywhere so he's stuck with sphere images for now haha
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything working great, but I cant get it to display mirrored geometry correctly. It'll display one side correctly, but the inverse side isn't recalculating the inverse of the green channel. Freezing transformations, reversing the normals and general pounding on my keyboard isn't working either. Not sure whats going on, I could be missing something really obvious here.

Maya Viewport on left, BFS on right, right side is mirrored.
    bfsmirror.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh nice model, I'm not seeing any differences in the green channel between the two, but of course it helps to be able to circle around the object for them to show better, the only differences i can see here are the backface culling is happening on the maya side and not on the shader, and there is a checkbox for that in case you are wanting it. I've let Ivan know and i'm sure he'll get right on it - thanks for taking the time to post this!
  • IvanA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Download BFS 2500

This update fixes the mirrored geometry binormal issue. The update adds DXT5_NM compression compatibility and also a fast new default technique.

Apparently, deriving the binormal via cross product is not robust enough for 3D editing (It's safer to use the model's given binormal). The new technique renders without Parallax Occlusion compatibility but gains a ton of speed. You can re-enable POM with the 2nd technique included.

I also added SFS 1000. It's less featured than BFS but still packs a punch. It's 'small enough' to squeeze through the ATI/Maya profile limit.

SFS 1000 Main Features: 3 lights, linear color space, phong, diff/spec/norm/light/gloss/offset maps, reflection cube, diffuse warp mapping, light decay.

Enjoy!
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, works perfect now! That rendering problem inside Maya has been bugging me for a long time. Issues with the way Maya renders tangent based normals has been driving me a bit nuts. You probably saw the thread, but some other fellow Polycounters help me understand the underlying issue and why this happens in Maya, check it out here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82052 . You obviously already know this stuff...kinda funny how we are all dealing with the same problem:)

here are some screen grabs from tonight. Ill pack this model up and link it to you if you want to experiment with it. Im super burned out from today, but ill jump on tomorrow sometime and give you some actual feedback on the shader.
    bfsgrabs.jpg