Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Warehouse

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
WIP Warehouse for UDK

have not worked on the textures, just blocked it out.

Thought about my last atempt to a modular building and heres what i got right now, some blocks thats very unfinished but wanna get some input on anything and nothing on it. just comment away! anything that dosent feel right

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Replies

• DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Could you throw up some ref for what you were going for?

Your textures seem to be too photosourced, like you just took the pictures and basically threw them on. I would suggest making high poly's for these assets and then an AO pass and that will give you a good base to work from to get your diffuse, then just use the photo's to get your colors in and use some various grunge things to rough up the pieces as an overlay.

Check out this tutorial, it's a really great one to show how you can create new textures from a number of photos to come out with something that works better for CG
    http://vimeo.com/8555922
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i have not worked on the textures. Just blocked it out. Highpoly, yeah i gues that would be allot nicer. dont know with a very un uniqe uv spaces that i have now.
    DDuckworth wrote: »
    Could you throw up some ref for what you were going for?

Your textures seem to be too photosourced, like you just took the pictures and basically threw them on. I would suggest making high poly's for these assets and then an AO pass and that will give you a good base to work from to get your diffuse, then just use the photo's to get your colors in and use some various grunge things to rough up the pieces as an overlay.

Check out this tutorial, it's a really great one to show how you can create new textures from a number of photos to come out with something that works better for CG
    http://vimeo.com/8555922
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was considering making HP modells of these blocks and was thinking what the most optimal way of doing it was. Here i decided to make a HP window and bake it onto a plane wich will be the final window. Or do i take it into Mudbox and sculpt the details out.

any ideas?

12.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    both ways work for me, what I would go on is really just per object, with a window what you have there is probably about all of the detail you would need for a HP object, some objects you could make a HP of and then add in extra details using photoshop for the normal map, that works best for things like logos that have depth and such. But if it got more complex, like needed scratches and things that you couldn't figure a way to add in photoshop, take it on into mudbox.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I wouldn't use Zbrush/Mudbox for simple models like these. I'd only really use it for adding damage to stuff, or for doing more organic objects.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth wrote: »
    both ways work for me, what I would go on is really just per object, with a window what you have there is probably about all of the detail you would need for a HP object, some objects you could make a HP of and then add in extra details using photoshop for the normal map, that works best for things like logos that have depth and such. But if it got more complex, like needed scratches and things that you couldn't figure a way to add in photoshop, take it on into mudbox.

Yeah i kind of thought that would be a nice combo. Im really afraid it would look too repetetive if add damage too some objects. Thanks for the imput, feel more sure which method to use now.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I think it's great that you choose to go with your own stuff!

I say try to get in to some texture painting! Try to skip the whole photosource step. Combine that with the highpoly bakes and it's a cake!

Any concepts for this btw?

And maybe keep in mind that everything doesn't need to be align on the meshes :)
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, id even hazard to say that photoslap isnt really games art, anyone can download a few photos someone else took and drop them onto a plane. You'll really wow people if you can make textures look that good by hand. Stephan Morell has some good tutorials, and some of his older stuff that he made for Obsidian Edge would really help you with this one,

Keep going!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scotthomer wrote: »
    Yeah, id even hazard to say that photoslap isnt really games art, anyone can download a few photos someone else took and drop them onto a plane. You'll really wow people if you can make textures look that good by hand. Stephan Morell has some good tutorials, and some of his older stuff that he made for Obsidian Edge would really help you with this one,

Keep going!

Does that apply here? But yeah, there is nothing worse then nasty shadows and highlights from photos..
    ..have not worked on the textures, just blocked it out...
  • billredd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billredd polycounter lvl 13
    No reason you can't use a photo sourced texture if your going for a realistic style.
    http://www.cgtextures.com/ a lot of people use them with great success, I understand you just put those on there and haven't worked on them yet.

But yeah, grab and slap not good! You MUST give photo sourced textures much Much love and attention before using them.

If you can do realistic style from scratch that will wow everybody for sure, but you better learn how to paint really fast, cuz the wow factor won't last and they'll be waiting on your next texture! Also not good... ;)

Other than that it all looks pretty good, just the wires on the one section with the single window that sits on top of the section with the big blue door. The wires are a bit messy on that and could affect your lighting etc.. keep em coming, don't stop now!
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    I think it's great that you choose to go with your own stuff!

I say try to get in to some texture painting! Try to skip the whole photosource step. Combine that with the highpoly bakes and it's a cake!

Any concepts for this btw?

And maybe keep in mind that everything doesn't need to be align on the meshes :)

Hmm Texturepainting, yeah id say that is a thing i suck at, maybe its worth a try.

No concept on it

Maybe not but it makes its easier snapping it toghter in UDK afterwards
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scotthomer wrote: »

Keep going!

I found like one tutorial! got some links?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, i meant with the geometry inside the chunks - like the window. Just saying (:

You could even model in some damage for example.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Well, i meant with the geometry inside the chunks - like the window. Just saying (:

You could even model in some damage for example.

Ahh ok, thats not finished
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Kinda feels like you were inspired by this tutorial am I right? Seems like you approached it the same way. Which was starting with your textures first and extruding the models from the textures.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda feels like you were inspired by this tutorial am I right? Seems like you approached it the same way. Which was starting with your textures first and extruding the models from the textures.

You know a better method? i really like to know, i tried before to build a modular building and it all ended up like crap
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Kinda sounds like you are getting defensive sir... calm down. I never said there was anything wrong with it. Just saying that it looks like you are following this guys tutorial pretty closely. As for a "better" method... no. But a method would be to model highpoly, then lowpoly, cast your normals, and then do you textures. I am currently doing a modular set myself and that is the method I am following. I understand you are blocking your textures. Just need to really push them when you get past your blocking stage that way they come off as something other than a photo.
  • madmenno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What i normally do is model out all the modules first, then unwrap and texture them. But as jeremiah pointed out baking AO and normals from a high poly is the pro way to go. But you can get some good effects with making normals from your textures too.

As far as your project goes, i think it looks nice. Just keep going like this but do enhance the texture. Then go crazy in UDK add some lighting and effects and it will look great.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda sounds like you are getting defensive sir... calm down. I never said there was anything wrong with it. Just saying that it looks like you are following this guys tutorial pretty closely. As for a "better" method... no. But a method would be to model highpoly, then lowpoly, cast your normals, and then do you textures. I am currently doing a modular set myself and that is the method I am following. I understand you are blocking your textures. Just need to really push them when you get past your blocking stage that way they come off as something other than a photo.

Yeah thought that would sound like that, did not at all mean to come of like defensive, thought you might have had som other way of doing it.

yeah thought hp would be a better start. But yeah that tutorial is in my mind. And made an erlier try at it and turnd out to similar to the tutorial.