Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rob Stephens Environment Artist Portfolio Pimp

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Logan5 polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, just thought I'd throw my portfolio up here and see if I can get some thoughts / suggestions / crits / whatever you got.

And yes I know its a carbonmade portfolio but hey I'm too busy doing art to script a web page and I actually think its a good site:)

www.robstephens.carbonmade.com

Replies

• Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    I like the layout, nice and clean.......ahem unlike your wireframes hoho.....

They really need soting out tho, most notably the sci-fi ones.....
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    i would change the sort order of your social games stuff - i think the lower stuff is stronger then the firs ones - but they aren't bad!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    u need to learn sub-d modeling and baking. Also, learn mudbox and.or zbrush.

these are essential tools that will make you hirable.
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    You're not getting any depth on your normal map on the pillar in the train station. All of your edges are sharp, so even though you have tiles popping out and in, it isn't showing in the final result. Also, tiles like those wouldn't be popping out and in; they'd be lying flat against the surface. The dirt on that pillar looks like you applied scatter to a noise brush, and it doesn't look like the concrete you'd find underneath.

I think there are too many small dents on that ticketing machine. The texture also isn't as grimy as the pillar, and I can't see any wear and tear on it.

Your sci-fi assets are very blocky. The wireframe of the first sci-fi piece has some weird stuff going on so the wireframe isn't that readable. The walkway seems too white. I don't know what style you were going for, but I think you could change the color to something darker and give it more wear tear and grime. The spec also needs work to make it pop.

The crane in the dock doesn't show any wear and tear, and it only shows light rusting.

The orange/blue lighting setup you have for one of the rocks in misc. doesn't look good. Bounced light from the sky would be much lighter than direct sunlight. I would have the sunlight wash over the piece more and just have the sky light come from the bottom and have a much lower intensity.

I really like your stylized assets, though.
  • Logan5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logan5 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for all the comments guys, some great tips there.

@Drav - Yeah the wireframes are pretty screwed now you mention it, I'm sure there was a way in Marmoset to turn off hidden lines. I'll have to check it out, probably best to take those down for the time being.
    @SimonT - Thanks man, I guess I could take a look at the way its ordered but to be honest Im not overly keen on the Social Game stuff but it is more styized so good to have up there.
    @roostermap - I'm pretty new to Zbrush, I definately need to utilise that more.
    @Tavor - Wow, thanks for all the comments man. I'll definately look into fixing some of that stuff up, I guess my texturing skills need work and I do have a tendancy to not put enough time into my specs in particular. Glad you like the stylized stuff

Anyways onwards and upwards I'm just blocking out a new interior which I'll start posting soon.