Home Technical Talk

Maya UV sets confusion

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone,

I have a question about Maya UV and UV sets (not sure if this is the proper terminology).

I have a scene that consists of separate buildings and each building is uved on it's own in the 0 to 1 texture space. Now I packed each building's uv separate to occupy all the 0 to 1 space and saved the UV layout image.

Now all the UVs of these buildings are on top of each other in the 0 to 1 space. Obviously when the time comes to texture, it will be a mess. Also I don't want to use the 0 to 1 space to layout all my buildings together.

I hope I am making my self clear but how do you go about setting this up? Are there any tutorials out there specific for this scenario? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I did go through PC forums but did not fine the answer I was looking for.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I'm not quite sure I understand the issue, are all your buildings combined into a single object, if they're not I don't see the issue about overlapping uv's.
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the reply malcolm,

no my buildings are all separate objects but because they are all arranged individually to fill the 0 to 1 space, when I apply a texture for one building, the rest of the buildings are getting parts of that texture.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Are you planning to apply the same texture to each building?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Wouldn't you just use separate materials for each building then?

If you are talking about sharing a specific texture between the different buildings, and saying the UV layout image of all of the diff buildings overlapped together is confusing, just select one of the buildings and use it's uvs as a guide for placement, or offset each overlapping set by one unit so it would still work the same as if they are all overlaid.

I don't fully understand the issue, but maybe some of those suggestions would be helpful.
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for all the confusion, I was just as lost trying to explain it myself. But m4d did supply the answer I was looking for. I separated the specific UV of each building by 1 unit over and now when I apply a texture to a specific building, its texture does not show up on all the other buildings.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.....:)