Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tribesman

JeremyRM
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JeremyRM polycounter lvl 8
Just finished this guy up so I thought I would share it. Let me know if you guys have any crits, main reason I'm posting it.

used Maya, Zbrush, 3dcoat and photoshop

www.jpg
adf.jpg
asd.jpg

headdress.jpg

belt.jpg

hand.jpg

front.jpg

2048_sheet.jpg

1024_sheet.jpg

wires.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.

Replies

• Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really only have 2 critiques on an otherwise really cool character.

The first one is that your gold bits really, really need some love in the texture department. It's far too yellow to be gold, and all the details you put in get washed out by the uniform spec. Adding in a little variation will go miles to making that look better.

The second critique is your "beauty" renders make me want to punch a small child. The black background is the worst offender, because it makes your character blend into the background with your dark shadows and skin tones. Make your background a 80% gray at the VERY darkest, otherwise we can't see the goddamned model and that makes us art children sad. Your lighting also needs some serious work. The top-down lighting really isn't helping your presentation at all, and your fill light isn't doing anything, really. I see light, and I see shadow, absolutely no in between, which is absolutely killing your presentation.

It's obvious you're skilled at modelling and texturing, and it's even more obvious that you put a ton of hours into this character, and the craftsmanship really shows, but I can only tell that looking at your zBrush grabs and your wireframe. Your presentation renders should have floored me.

I don't presume to know as much about 3D as you, and I don't wish to offend in any way, but I would heavily suggest watching Xoliul's Shader Setup Video and really watching what he does with the lighting. It is magical and it changed my life.

Awesome work, and I look forward to your future projects.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    insane. Love the details on the rope/cloth parts especially. I agree about the beauty shots though, no black backgrounds please!
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys I went ahead and changed the background color and messed around with the gold. Next time around I'll definitely use a viewport shader so I can get some reflections on that gold. Also could use it on his skin.

Der I checked out that video, I actually wanted to use that shader but the maya version kept crashing on me and it doesn't support shadows. Definitely good information in the video on lighting.

pose3newlight.jpg
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The render looks much better on gray for sure.
    What rendering engine are you using inside of Maya? is it just High Quality or Viewport 2.0?

Unfortunately, in my experience, Maya's viewport doesn't turn out great renders in general, and using Xoliul's shader in it can turn out good results even without shadows, but is tricky. You have to be in default renderer for it to work.

This is an example (on the right) of how it (Xoliul's)looks with some colored lights in Maya's viewport. ChaosHeadTestRender-1.png
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Der it's in 2.0 and I agree about quality it's a bitch pushing it to look good in the Maya's viewport. I'm actually just going to bring him over to max and set it up there. I'm not sure why it's giving me problems in Maya.
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I messed around with a few shaders and basically had to redo all the maps and after all that I'm still not happy. I jumped in max and found that my drivers don't support the directx shader and I'm not messing with that one since it took forever to get shit working on this card using quadro drivers. No shadows in maya ugh :(

I'm getting some weird issues with the Xoliul shader and I have a feeling it's linked to the directx issue? I don't really know but when I turn it on some of my polys stretch across the screen causing it to freeze and I have to reboot.
    Anyways here is what I managed using the KoddeShader which was actually a pretty nice one too. I just had issues getting the spec power to do what I wanted.

pose1light.jpg
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Great, keep pushing the textures. Your last pose is Best IMO. I think if you bring more warmth to the leather and Clarity to the stones in the gold pieces it will make it more visualy pleasing. The anatomy for the obliques is interesting, any refrence for that?

Your sculping of the cloth and leather is very nice, what type of tablet are you usuing?
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Otricks, pretty much finished up with the textures (still have a few things to finish up like the scales) and tried to take into account what you mentioned. I basically simplified a lot of it I felt like it was getting too busy, this way I hope the stones become more of a focal point. For references I used weight lifters and a lot of looking in the mirror haha. My tablet is just a wacom intuos3. Anyways dude thanks for the crits they were helpful.