Home General Discussion

Crysis 2 Demo

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EmAr polycounter lvl 18
They released it finally, even though there's some debate going on about some features I think it looks nice. Some complain about it being console bound but it says "multiplatform demo" anyway. So, I think we'll get better graphics on the PC release.

I wonder your impressions on it as I don't have a computer that can handle it(nVidia ION netbook here)

http://www.crytek.com/news/crysis-2-multiplayer-demo-goes-multiplatform-on-march-1

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    No DX10/11 in the demo, plus theres no point in loading it up yet even if you get it, the servers to register the user names have been down all day and mine just says my nickname contains invalid characters all the time... :(

From what people are saying, its pretty consolised, and you only get three graphics options, which will make performance tweaking a royal twat because the config files are protected. Ooops there...
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    I finally got to play it an hour or so ago after the 'cant make an account' issue. I have no idea which graphics settings are the best for my PC. Its a choice of HARDCORE, GAMER and something else. Which is best and which is worst for my spec I have no idea :<
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Is it ONLY a multiplayer demo? Not big on that kinda thing, so if there's no single player, I'm out.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Had to make another account just to get it to accept me... Bit daft.

Anyway, MP is pretty muhc like it was on the 360 beta, its COD lite. Weapons dont don enough damage, you run out of power too fast, only now you get the added bonus of what could quite possibly be the worst mouse input I've ever used on a PC. Nice one.

SP demo would have been far more suited.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    CREATING ACCOUNT
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    ...creating account
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    But from where are you supposed to download this? What is that creating account thing?

I'm downloading it from Steam, let's see how it is
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Made account, spent 1 hour trying to get into a game. Nice visuals but not mindblowing (I know about the lack of Dx10/11 and the like, game feels a little stiff and jerky in places (controlls in particular, as well as animation, guns and ragdolls :X) Did some tweaking but didn't do much, I still had some fun though. Used the mounted gun to take down a bunch of folk, the two maps didn't feel too different and overall it was alright, not going to be my MP game of choice but I'll probably get a few rounds in the full game once things have been patched fixed etc. Good luck with the launch crytek :)
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Woot! Installing!
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    I got stuck on the creating account too but restarting the app and logging in with what I was trying to register as worked...

Honestly I liked the old multi-player much more. It feels too much like Call of Duty now. Right down to the kill streak rewards and tiny maps. Nice visuals but yeah I don't think I'll be buying it for the multi-player. I really dislike it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Add me as a friend, my name is ZacD
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    You can use an existing Gamespy account here as well.

Also add me, I'm Farbkasten
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I noticed the graphic options, Hardcore, Gamer and Advanced. Wtf is the difference and is there a way to customize this?
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Game is really slick and I am enjoying the hell out of the demo. I played a ton of the original crysis multiplayer/crysis wars. While it was fun the huge open space wasn't ever really utilized for the gameplay like you might see in something like battlefield or starsiege tribes. I don't mind seeing a bit of streamlining here to keep the action more in your face, which I think they have pulled off rather well.

Also, sliding down a stairwell unloading a clip into an enemy is pure awesome-sauce.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    So, yeah. Been trying to register for the last half hour :/
    Using my old gamespy accounts = Hurp durp, wrong username. :(
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I had to set up a new account as well. Look out for Murdocksocks. I suck, hehe.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I get no ingame sound for some reason. not through speakers or my headset. Other than that it's alright. I wish you could tweak the config settings like in the other crysises. I'm daphzart, and i'm not that great.

edit.
    I thought I had a decent computer, but i've been running this at 800 x 600 on "gamer" settings because anything else gives me stuttering/lag
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scared for my graphics card.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    daphz wrote: »
    I get no ingame sound for some reason. not through speakers or my headset. Other than that it's alright. I wish you could tweak the config settings like in the other crysises. I'm daphzart, and i'm not that great.

edit.
    I thought I had a decent computer, but i've been running this at 800 x 600 on "gamer" settings because anything else gives me stuttering/lag

my 9800GT w/ 1 gig vram runs it really well, hm.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/13594-crysis-2-endast-dx9-dx11-kommer-senare

Guys what the shit, it's in swedish but the article says Crysis 2 will launch without DX 11 :| and just be DX 9 and maybe get a DX 11 patch of sorts out later.

wat.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin wrote: »
    http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/13594-crysis-2-endast-dx9-dx11-kommer-senare

Guys what the shit, it's in swedish but the article says Crysis 2 will launch without DX 11 :| and just be DX 9 and maybe get a DX 11 patch of sorts out later.

wat.

lol what.....really? It looks great so far...
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    The game looks great but all that bloom and other fancy effects are really distracting and I find it hard to pick out the enemies (although they have no trouble finding me)
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game looks great but all that bloom and other fancy effects are really distracting and I find it hard to pick out the enemies (although they have no trouble finding me)

Thats why i'm wondering why there are no options to control specific graphic settings. Balancing perhaps?
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    NO TOGGLE ZOOM?

AIM ASSIST?

ONLY TOGGLE CROUCH?

WTF!!!!!!!! These are gameplay elements that console and pc gaming are hugely different abt. The least they can do is give you options on whether or not you want them enabled.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm sure the final release will have more options, hopefully, maybe, please?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So apparently the final version ships without:
    Actual graphical settings (or maybe that's too advanced for a hardcore gamer such as myself)
    More control customization (Sprint+crouch is the ONLY thing for slide? really?)
    Sandbox 3 editor
    DX 10/DX 11 mode
    and proper multiplayer menu view (Seriously, Lobby is bad for PC for a reason :/)

So.. I guess a patch is coming? or something?

Honestly this is blurbs from around different sites and forums on the web, not seen an official statement refuting it yet so very hesitant about a pre-order or even a purchase now :S

Also this made me lol :P
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgizpmXDiXI[/ame]
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Nanosuit Medal of Honor?

The gun feedback seems worse, too :(
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well Skamb surely enough the ones who DLed the leaked build can sure verify if these options are actually shipping with the full game, right ?
    (not saying I am advocating this, obviously)
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not all based on the dl'd leak build. The lack of DX 11 is based on a news article on a swedish overclocking forum, the lack of SandBox 3 based on a dev tweet that has since been deleted (hah)
    The lack of actual graphical settings and keyboard layout settings is based on the demo (seriously, I'd understand if they'd want to keep the best visuals for the full game, but why remove the ability to fully customize your controllers :S) and what people said were available in the leak (why would a dev build not have graphical settings? I thought that was one of the first thing you'd implement :S)

It just rubs me the wrong way, of course I hope that the demo is as unfinished as the leak in some aspects and that the full game ships with all the bells and whistles but I'd rather not bet 60 euros on it until I'm sure :P

If these rumours (I know they're nothing but, except for what you find in the demo) are true then well, a patch down the road to remedy all of it would still make me buy it, just not pre-order :P
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it sounds a lot like some kind of unified build and certainly not a PC specific demo. It's not an excuse for sure (it actually is a pretty dumb move I think!)

As for the "lack of DX11", I just don't get it. What's wrong with pulling out great graphics with an older DX? is that ... bad ? Again their engine seems strongly unified - it can only be a great thing I think. I dont think any DX has a specific feature that makes any game instantly better looking. Hope I'm not sounding defensive here, I just sincerely don't understand that point.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, when you join a lobby, when does the damn game launch? I waited around like 7 minutes, then we finally got a countdown ONCE in a lobby. The countdown got to 1 then did nothing, just kept ticking. What the Fuck
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Try a different room, if there's no timer after 10 seconds.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah at this point, i'm not bothering with Crysis 2. The demo left a pretty bad taste in my mouth after playing it a few hours. Let me say this though, Environments and sounds are great. Graphics were never a problem with Crysis, but here's my beef.

#1) Start Screen - Press to Start....

#2) Graphic Settings - Gamer/Advanced/Hardcore... I mean... Really? I can't even adjust AA/AF/Bloom etc.

#3) Mouse options - Yay for hardcoded mouse smoothing! No way to turn it off.

#4) The multiplayer demo was great, but holy crap it should be called Call of Crysis 2. The nanosuit is literally dumbed down making powerslam and shields useless.

#5) The unfair advantage is back - with unlocks to faster reload, accuracy, etc as well as kill streak bonuses like calling in a giant lazer strike, it feels just like COD.

I think the gameplay has back tracked from Crysis, so long to the large open environments and vehicles, hello Spawn and Shoot maps!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Well it sounds a lot like some kind of unified build and certainly not a PC specific demo. It's not an excuse for sure (it actually is a pretty dumb move I think!)

As for the "lack of DX11", I just don't get it. What's wrong with pulling out great graphics with an older DX? is that ... bad ? Again their engine seems strongly unified - it can only be a great thing I think. I dont think any DX has a specific feature that makes any game instantly better looking. Hope I'm not sounding defensive here, I just sincerely don't understand that point.

No problem with using older DX, but newer DX versions can do more, such as DX 11 with its Tesselation, something I would really like to see in this game to be honest.

Crysis 1 was after all a graphical juggernaut with tons of great looking tech running in it, Crysis 2 just.. doesn't look like it's doing anything Crysis 1 already did.

There were talks and tech demoes about more advanced physics and realtime GI but none of that seems prevalent in the demo, heck, most of the obvious physic props are static :/

Crytek has (to me) been a company that are as much about making good games as it is about pushing the graphical envelope of videogames in general, I guess I'm just disappointed that I expected them to at least use the newest DX and it's tesselation for more detailed model geometry, alongside other bells and whistles. But I guess the mantle is going over to DICE for that.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But if you consider tessellation and the fact that it's not a "magic" feature since it means authoring an extra (height) map for every asset, not necessarily fitting inside the memory or shader ops budget of their scalable engine ... then it just makes sense to not have it, right ? Even crease-based tessellation can be a nightmare to work with when applying it to a reasonable game-density mesh.

I mean if you just "turn on" tessellation on everything without specifically making assets tailored for the tech you just end up with spaghetti limbs and disney-like fire hydrants. It looks great in bumpy tech demos, but I don't think it has such a big places in actual games.

And assets like FPS guns occupying 25% of the screen simply look better with more density right from the start, so no need to subdivide any further really.

Again I am not saying that tessellation sucks - just saying that if this is the big point supporting the DX11 argument, then in the case of Crysis2 it simply is irrelevant!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I love how destructible and messy the levels feel, its a nice change from COD or Halo.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course, I should have specified I would like DX 11 used with actual height maps and such, on objects such as walls and characters. Someone who used DX the way it was demoed, and not like it is in Call of Pripyat.

My argument for DX 11 is pure eyecandy, of course. It's a lot of extra work but, who knows, it may make more people buy it, for the workout it may give a computer alone, I mean it's a big reason why Crysis sold much in the first place right?

I would also like to see something like in the DX 11 tech demo, where they morph between different heightmaps to simulate realtime deformation and regular damage.
  • GDGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just played a couple hours of the demo and for some strange reason every time after leaving a server I am reset to rank 1 even though I should be somewhere near rank 5 already.

Also there are constant disconnect from servers. I know its just not me since me and my friend disconnect at the exact same time. But this is expected from 'Betas', no big deal.

Bugs and connection issues aside it pretty much feels like 'Crysis of Duty' haha.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Just played the demo for a bit. Ran like butter on my system at full rez on "hardcore" and "advanced" which is I'm guessing the middle and top tier graphics. Looked pretty good. I dislike multi though, so I'll wait for the SP.
  • yeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did anybody try to play with a Xbox360 controller on the PC demo?

I actually got a higher K/D ratio going controller vs keyboard/mouse on PC at 1.69, than straight controller battle on the 360 at 1.37. Both are level 8 or 9 right now.

Finally got a chance to experiment this having been wondering about it for a long time, and I don't know, it somehow feels there's less resistance and less intensity in the PC matches.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    What? No DX10/DX11 support straight out of the box?

And no editor?!

Damn :(
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I thoroughly disliked this demo.

The gameplay systems are gimmicky, I feel like if i win or lose a firefight it was because the other guy was a dick or because i was "cheesing". Stealth and armor abilities just add a complicated layer to the game that remove so much from the rest of the game.

Teams are too similar, simple color differences make the game confusing, not enough distinctino between the factions.

Overall just completely underwhelmed, it's simply COD with some unnecessary gameplay additions.

Running and jumping draws from your suit energy? Yeah lets make the game even less fun to play.

Engine is solid, graphics are great, gameplay sucks my nuts.
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i wasn't impressed, another bad console FPS port. sadface.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I haven't been playing any FPS multiplayer games in ages. I liked it. There were some lag issues as well as connection to server problems(I got disconnected a few times) but all in all I liked it. Also, just 12 players? I hope the full version has larger maps which supports more players.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    DX10/11 make sense for Crysis 2. It's a shame if it's not in at launch.

The dynamic global illumination solution they use involves rendering to a volume texture. With DX 9 you have to render to each slice whereas DX10/11 allows for rendering straight to the volume texture without having to change the render target to each slice.

One DX11 feature I am interested in trying out at some point is the read/write texture ability which I could see improving the memory imprint and performance of their dynamic GI solution. There are other improvements that I can't think of at the moment as I havn't delved too deeply into DX11 coding as of yet.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Crysis is the one franchise where it's acceptable for fans to irrationally whine about lack of dx whatever, or indeed lack of anything.

Downloading demo now, taking forever though :(
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    To be fair, you could activate the "dx10" features of the first crysis in dx9, which were only locked out to sell vista.

And the fun part here is, it's the graphics-cards in the consoles that has some more features over dx9.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Waiting to play the demo, I have been trying to create an account all day and still not working, although at a friend of mine it worked perfectly :P
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    yea.. i agree.. .it's kinda lame that you get 3 options for graphic settings. No control at all. I hope this is fixed with the complete version, the whole point of having something on pc is how much more customizable things are. This is like they are trying to make a console out of the PC. they should know better.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I'm sure you'll have more control over the graphic settings. They had these options in Warhead. You had three main settings for people who don't want to mess with all the options, but you could go in and tweak things individually. I'm sure they'll bring that back, since they already had all that setup before.