Home Technical Talk

Low poly/normal bake questions

ajr2764
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys. I'm in the process of doing a low poly for high rez mesh and I'm starting to second guess some of my choices so far on some of the parts specifically with wires/cylindrical parts. Below is a HP wire and outlined in red is what I've removed for the LP version so far.

WireQ.jpg

I figure that this console if in a game and a player could get a close view of the screen the below pic would be the typical angle. I think I've been viewing and thinking of how things look at angles that wouldnt matter or even be viewed in a game. Do you'll think it would be smart to just remove the extruded polys and have more of a straight tube shape for the LP?

PView.jpg

The second thing I wanted to know is some general rules to segments of a round shape. I have alot of wires on this console some slightly larger then others. As of right now for the LP I have kept them all 8 sided which is what I started with for the HP. Based on the angle I feel like I could be saving by dropping them down to 5 sided. That dial on the left is 12 sided but since its so visible I think now 16 or even more would be more suitable.

Thanks for any info you'll can share about the subject.