Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Angry kitchen robot

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
I'm in this 3D Character Design class and am completely out of my comfort zone doing characters. I much more the environmental type. Knowing this, I decided to do a robot because they aren't organic and more of what I'm used to doing. The scope of this class is to make a simple 3D character and make it walk.

I was out at dinner yesterday, and it dawned on me to create this robot dude who was so sick of being treated like crap while serving food that he just up and quits and goes ape shit on everyone in the line, Christian Bale freak out style. I wanted him to be dual wielding kitchen utensils. A spatula in one hand and a ladle in the other. I was originally thinking a ladle and a pot lid to use as a shield, but seeing as he's going to be on a rampage, I doubt he'll have use for it. Plus, he's a robot. He IS a shield.

2011-02-20_2156.png

Just to clarify, those are necks... I had a friend look at it he thought those lines were legs, which pretty much confirmed I suck at sketching. Only one way to get better though, right? Plus he gave me the idea for #2, which is my favorite one so far.

I really liked where I was going with 5, 6 and 7. The "hair" on 6 and 7 are the necks of a tea kettle. He/she get's pissed and steam comes out. As for how practical that is, I'm not sure. I know there should be a healthy balance of imagination and it being practical. It doesn't prepare hot water inside of itself, so I felt it was a design flaw. I'm not going to put random shit in if it doesn't make sense, although I could probably think of an excuse.

Also, to be clear, the eyes are a LCD screen similar to Eva from Wall-E in every thumbnail.

I'm unsure if I want to make that horizontal line through the body in #2 his mouth or an apron (and have his lower half very shallow and rounded behind it), especially since he doesn't need a mouth and that speaker where a nose would be would suffice.

I liked the power cable type neck design I had going on.

Everyone I've talked to says they like #3 the best, but I honestly have no idea what I'd be doing for a body. And for the scope of the class, I think I'm okay making something I know I can rig and animate pretty well and return to my other designs later.

Thoughts? Feedback? I know, my sketching sucks...:poly122:

After I take the feedback into consideration, I'll work on more poses and coloring then move onto development. I'll update this thread over a six week period.

Replies

• ninjatofu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should go for more of an overall silhouette before you go in and decide what his head. Is he large/small/thick/thin/light/heavy? His silhouette should tell us something about his character before we even get a close look at him.

For 1 and 3, at first I also thought that his neck lines were legs. But it's because we have no reference. He looks a bit cartoony, so maybe he's got stick legs. If you've got a full character sorta fleshed out and then go in and then figure out details, the details end up making a lot more sense. Tackle it like you would an environment. You wouldn't start modelling an asset in a scene without first blocking it out right?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    The difference between a chef and a dishwasher is that a chef has a moustache.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Could base the body on a piece of kitchen equipment. And why not have the bot make hot water internally? He could be a saucier, or a soup chef who could use such capacity. and it would add that steamed angry character.
    And as far as making sense: you're building an intelligent food service robot. Belief is already way suspended. Just getthe character you want first, worry about the mechanics later. No one questions where the steam comes from when Elmer Fudd gets angry at Bugs.

And speaking of wall-e, do you see enough hydraulic power on that bot to make the cubes he does? Did you ever question that ability? No and no, cause that's just what he does, it gives him purpose as a character. It gives him character. :)
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll hit the drawing board again and hopefully come out with something a lot more clear, concise and lively. Good thoughts Vailias, I'll see what I can come up with. I'll update here when finished.
    The difference between a chef and a dishwasher is that a chef has a moustache.

That was awesome :D