Home Technical Talk

Convert UVW to mesh?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
I would like do a morph animation from a flat version of my mesh to the regular 3d version in 3dsmax. The flat version i would like to get from my uvw, so i need to convert the uvw to a mesh somehow. The morphing also needs to take the uvws isles into account then. Very important for morphing is the vertex order, so the vertex order needs to be the same in the flat version and the 3d version.
Any ideas?

Replies

• SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Doesn´t slideknit or textools what you need?
    Slideknit even does the morphing part for you.
  • Mark Dygert
    Yea slideknit does it but I'm not sure it works with newer versions of 3dsmax. It's been abandoned by its author... and I remember it being kind of buggy. There might be other scripts that have popped up, because the idea is fantastic for a lot of things.

TexTools is a little more tricky to use for what you want, I think you need to break your mesh along UV seams for it to retain the same number of verts when it warps back and forth from UV to 3D. If it re-orders the verts making a morph unuseable, you can use Morphix to reorder verts of the target mesh to match the original, allowing you to create a non-fubar morph target.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    Last time i used it was with 2010 and it worked like it should, if the unwrap was ok,not only in the UV part but UW and VW to.Otherwise you get freaky results if the UW and VW parts are not flat.

Some automatic unwrap solutions tend to fuck up the UW and VW part pretty bad, which
    isn´t a problem for standard texture things, but for this kind of work it can be a pain in the ass if you don´t know why it´s not working like it should.

Edit:
    uvw.png

The first one is a unwrap of a normal box, the one you would guess you would get if you transform it into a mesh.

The other 2 are UW and VW. As you can see i moved some parts of it up.
    You won´t see it in UV, but converted to a mesh this part will also be moved up, which is what we don´t want.

It´s like UV = Top/Bottom View , VW = Back/Front View, UW = LEft/Right View.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Tried playing with this a while back... Not sure if it will do what you want it to do though.
    http://www.mankua.com/uvwframe.php
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Both Slideknit and UVWframe look very promising, gonna try those.

@ SpeCter
    Never really understood what the W is good for. :) But select all and then setting W to zero should always do the trick.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are dealing with Volume Textures you will get what the W is for ;).
    You are right, setting it to zero should always do the trick.

But if you don´t know that, this can really be annoying, trust me.
    I guess 95% of us never even bothered to go into UW or VW.