Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Torture Room

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
It's been a little while since I've actually sat down and started an environment. Moving, new job, general mental exhaustion. Oh and time to play games finally. But now I'm back with a new project!

I'm working on two personal projects currently. However, this one has been faster for me to get started on and work on. I tend to work on this during most lunches here in the studio, and last week I did some work at home too.

Concept from DeviantArt member eWKN (I used a concept of his before on an unfinished project. This one is much smaller)
Torture_by_eWKn.jpg

I started working by doing a very basic blockout with the goal of getting the scale approximately right. I'm posting the basic blockout with a few notes. A) The dude wasn't in this blockout. It was a cube. B) that big slab in the middle of the room is a door place holder that is behind the camera. No biggies, they were just incorrectly placed when I took the screenshot.

base_blockout.jpg

Following this, I created base meshed for both scale and eventual modelling purposes. The shelf, the chair, the bookshelf on the left, etc. are going to serve as a base for my high and low poly models. If they are unsuitable, I'll make new objects roughly to that scale. In this screenshot, I placed the camera roughly to where the camera is placed in the concept. The screenshot after it is a guesstimate of where I'll be placing the camera in UDK.

WIP_Scale_torture2.jpg

WIP_Scale_torture.jpg

My goal with this is to make a portfolio piece, practice high poly and low poly modeling, use Max to create smaller props (to learn it), to use ZBrush when I can (continue to learn it), and create an atmosphere of dark, decrepit deeds that have gone on in here. I plan to add to the concept some sort of sink and jank drainage underneath the meat hooks for the blood where the fake laminate wood floor will be cut and removed to reveal a hastily and poorly constructed drain in the concrete. And if I'm feeling really courageous, perhaps I'll make a body part...BLOOD!!!! And yes, this will be rendered in UDK. I miss her...

I'll be updating periodically with assets, texture flats, stuff like that. Before I start any major modelling, I want to make sure the scale is right. So question to PC, how does the scale look to you?

Thanks for reading!

Replies