Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Female Officer

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Hey,

I decided to try and model something down to earth for a portfolio piece and I think its time for a bit of feedback. At the minute I feel that visually its quite basic but im still trying to decide whether its worth throwing a ton of detail at the texture just for the sake of it or keep the focus on the proportions.

mvql8h.jpg

2zedu0g.jpg

Replies

• Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    she's looking real nice. might be nice to see the bottom of some belt loops and maybe superficial pockets on the back of the slacks.
  • bigphun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very Impressive, the gun seems a bit small to me. I might lift the eyelid droop, it makes her look angry!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good. I like the face.

I think it could only help to put some more into the texture considering how realistic the rest of it looks. Is the shading on the bottom edge of the shirt a normal map problem?

Her pants looks a little too baggy for a police officer. I think she needs a police badge or something too. :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looks nice, her face reminds me of some actress, can't put my finger on it though.
  • af3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    af3d polycounter lvl 10
    Throwing a badge clipped to a belt would be a nice touch. Also I'm not digging the shoes, she should be wearing some shoes that are practical to run in.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her forms are spot on. Texture still needs work and i assume its WIP. Agree on the shoes as well,they need to look and feel better. Brilliant piece of work. It feels like she can fit into a game like Uncharted-and can romance with Drake :)
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for all the feedback. I've made some changes to the model over the last few days and I think ive hit a brick wall (it doesnt help that I have the Uncharted art book sitting by, mocking me with its awesomeness).

Ive tried adding a badge as well as some extra texture detail and quickly rigged it up into a pose (its a bit messy but its there just to get it out of that tpose).

EDIT: I don't feel the pose is helping at the moment so heres the base pose again:

znr443.jpg
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something tells me you had Silent Hill in your mind when you were making this character
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It looks like you're going for a mouth like this:
    reykjavik-girl-crop.jpg
    But the sides of the mouth should be more closed, and you definitely need more shading on the canines.

It also looks like the face is a bit too flat, since you have barely any creases between the cheeks and mouth. The area between the nose and mouth seems too tall, maybe pull the nose bottom a bit lower, elongate the nose some. The lefthand side profile is a bit bothersome, since there's no recess of the eyesocket.

Here's a bit of a paintover (MSpaint, forgive me)
    faceMSPO.png

hm, just though of this - a bit of dropshadow from the hair on her forehead might work a small wonder, too.
  • af3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    af3d polycounter lvl 10
    I have to say I don't agree with moving the nose down. The overall proportions of the face as they are give it a lot of character, its easy to make a beautiful female face, its harder to make an interesting yet believable face without PERFECT proportions. However I do agree that some more attention to the creases would be beneficial, but not entirely necessary. I did notice that in the side view the jaw should be pushed forward, she has a ridiculous overbite that would be fine only it doesn't come across this way in the front view.
    Glad you added the badge- but it needs to be scaled up a little bit.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    To give my two cents from the latest WIP:

I don't really agree with Snader and af3d.

I do believe her nose needs to move down slightly, other than that I think she is quite beautiful with lots of personality. I think her shoes needs to change though, they could have more personality or you could see more of a heel or something more practical. Good work so far !