Home Technical Talk

Copy Paste CS4 Windows 7 64bit

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
At work I'm quite used to the workflow of hitting printscreen to take screenshots for checkin emails or painting over them for various feedback and whatnot. I would do this typically dozens of times each day. Over the years its just become habit.

Recently, though I've noticed that I could only take a few printscreens before I would need to close photoshop and reopen it.

I thought I was nutz. Turns out a whole bunch more of the art team here were having the same problem. Upon further internets and googling - the problem is pretty widely known, though a resolution doesnt seem to be forthcoming. ( there are hacks out there but some seem to work for some people and others do not, am yet to find one that works! )

I'm not sure if this is a windows 7 cache issue, or if its an issue with cs4, as both parties (microshaft and adobe) are blaming each other for the issue. Though at this point I'm tending to agree with microshaft *shudder* as I can freely copy and paste into any other program.

Fresh installs do not solve the issue.

Photoshop CS4
Windows 7 (64 bit)

Using 32 bit or 64 bit versions of cs4 doesnt make any difference.

Open photoshop, hit printscreen, file -> new -> it should automatically come up with the printscreen size (your total monitor resolution) -> OK -> CNTRL V / Paste your print screen.

Rinse repeat this process, after a few printscreens (usually 3 or 4) it will stop pasting in new captures - and instead pastes the last known successful capture each time.

I'm throwing this out there to see if any of the tech guys or other artist have this issue and have any workarounds besides reverting from windows 7 or constantly closing and reopening photoshop!

Edit: http://www.google.com/search?q=photoshop%20clipboard%20bug <-- The issue has been around for a long time, aparently not everyone gets it and im not sure why, but its been persistant enough in previous version to cause enough problems!

Replies

• telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought i was the only one with this problem! I dont seem to be having this issue with cs5, so ive since forgotten it, but this was a pain! What seems to reset it for me what making a new text layer, typing a bit, copying that text, then making the new prntscrn. That wasnt the only way to reset it, it just seemed that if my clipboard become a different file type (text vs image) and then i took the image, it would reset the photoshop sillyness.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    You've probably tried this, but you haven't stated whether you have or not, so i will put it out there just in case.

Have you tried purging the clipboard every now and then.

Edit -> Purge -> Clipboard

Hope it works.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I use Greenshot for all printscreen needs (partly because of that Photoshop problem, and for other productivity improvements too). After 5 minutes using it you certainly wont want to go back to the regular way of copy/pasting!

http://getgreenshot.org/
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i had that on my old work machine. XP32, PS7. taking screenshots with the PRTSCR key would just stop working completely in the windows session, no way around it than to reboot. the better workaround was to use a 3rd party screen capture utility.
    but yeah, who knows what causes it - i was never able to find the solution either.
    just like in your case it happened rather suddenly. did you have any new software installed recently, any shared libraries, servicepacks or hotfixes? new utilities running in the background? must be something like that.

i'm so happy i don't have this **** to deal with on my current machine. fingers crossed! :)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Probably not related to your cache issue in PS, but PrtScr is also a nice freeware screenshot program.

Hope you sort the clipboard issue.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I use XNview. Print screen something, open XNview and press Ctrl+Shift+V to import clipboard.

This issue should definitely be fixed though.

I hate how Photoshop can't paste into Outlook correctly. That needs to get fixed as well.
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    Yes, this has been around for a long time although i've only experienced it a couple of times myself. A couple of days ago as it happens, someone at work had it and I suggested using ALT+prinscreen instead and it seemed to work. Maybe the size of the data going onto the clipboard changing gives photoshop a nudge or something.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Strange, never heard of this problem and I've been using Photoshop for years, currently cs5 x64 and windows vista x64.

Check first that print screen function is working by making a new capture and then pressing start, run and type "mspaint" edit, paste the capture in the program.

• If it is working then I can only assume that Photoshop history/cache requires cleaning.
    • If it doesn't work then there is a ram memory issue, probably software related.

Edit: For people saying use "program x" just why? Adding programs like that is just like adding bloatware, they are useless duplicates of superior, already built in behaviours.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    GCMP : yeah, the problem does happen, and it is extremely annoying especially when making a collage of screenshots. You're just lucky it didn't happen to you :)

I share your opinion on unnecessary extra software. But when there is an alternative solution available and it turns out to be 10x better than the buit-in original, it is well worth trying...
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks guys, I can say I tried all the little registry hacks, some of us even followed steps that an adobe rep said would solve the problem, but for some reason it didnt.

Its the stupidest thing ever, I'm not sure how long I've been using photoshop, at least 6 years or more and never had this issue until recently!

Looks like we will have to try out a 3rd party screencapture program of sorts.

hboybowen: I can just see it now, announcing that we all need to use mspaint as our clipboard, I'd be forced to walk the plank!

telmac: Thanks I'm going to try this one, though I'd hate to do that every single time it pops up!!

kaptainkernals: Yup thanks man, this was one of the first things we tried, but it didnt work.

pior: Thanks man, am going to give this a shot!!

thomasp: Its a good point, we thought as much too, so one of tech guys cleanly reformated a machine and the problem persisted with only the os and cs4 installed ( no hotfixes, or windows updates ) sonofa !!!

kodde: Thanks man will check this one out too!

Monster: Thats another good point, super annoying!! Will try out XNview thanks!

nullfed: Yeah we tried this one straight away too - no cigar! Thanks though!

GCMP: We can all paste into any other software just fine, Just not photoshop. Again, this is the first time ive ever see it happen in 6 - 7 years of photoshop use!.