Home Technical Talk

Highpoly for cars.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
Hy there.

As some may know if you have been to my topic, my current project is making this vehicle from paul richards concept:
quake4_vehicle11.jpg

And i am working on the highpoly, then i started wondering, should i do a highpoly for everything or do a midpoly/lowpoly for the base and such(if you get what i mean, if not then ask ;))

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High for everything, why would you do anything else? If you do "midpoly" sections they are going to be noticeably lower quality than the rest, no?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake: I forgott to mention that i am thinking on baking this to a normal map, so i was wondering if there might be some parts where highpoly is not beneficial.
    I dont know if this changes your answer tough, cause i can see it hold true on both cases.

Sorry for not mentioning that.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, my answer was assuming you would do that, when you create a highpoly and bake it down to a low, you're replacing the low's normals with the high. I mean that is the base concept, so if you leave parts out of the process, you're relying on simple vertex normals of the lowpoly mesh there, which is alway going to look worse.

If there are areas that are more simple, the high will be simple too! Doing simple shapes if only to get the nice bevels and proper smoothing is always worth it.

In addition to all of that, I don't really see any areas on that model that would command less detailed methods. Go all out!
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Yea do a high poly for everything. You just need to be smart about what you actually spend time sculpting on. For example, if you know you are going to mirror/dupe the tires, only spend time sculpting one tire. I don't waste time sculpting both sides of something that I know ahead of time I am going to mirror. Simple stuff like cylinders on some props that won't have any wear I don't waste time sculpting or baking down when I'm in production.

That said, I don't see anything in that concept that I wouldn't sculpt. There aren't any simple throwaway pieces that wouldn't benefit from a sculpt.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpt? I would do this all with standard sub-d.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, im not going into any sculpting just regular sub-d's if i would need any imperfactions i would do it in photoshop or model in some.

I get what your saying EQ, thanks for the insight.
    I must say i have learned alot reading your comments about normal mapping :)