Home Technical Talk

2048x3072 ?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
I need it!

The issue I have is that I am creating some modular level pieces. And this particular piece was going to go on a 2048x2048 map... but I need an additional 1024 space. I am pretty sure using a 2048x3072 is not possible, but I am asking what do I do?

I can't pack it all within the 2048 or else this modular piece will be lower in pixel density compared to the others... I also can't put it on a separate map either. This piece needs to be on one map for the simplicity for the customer.

A friend had suggested unwrapping the object like a 2048x3072 then squashing it back in to fit a 2048, then painting the map at a 2048x3072 and squashing it down to a 2048. The only down side to that is that my pixels are no longer square.

Idk... I just need some options/advice if anyone has any.

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it must be a single 2048 then you need to find better ways to UV this thing. 2048 is a lot of space, there should be ways to tile/mirror/repeat texture elements to get it all in there.

Would a 4096x1024 work better for you? it would allow for a lot more tiling in one direction.

Is this thing so large that some areas won't be seen by the camera up close? then you can texture them at a lower pixel density.

Posting a pic of the model you are working on and your current UV layout will probably help us help you better.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    would help a lot of you could show what kind of mesh you are working on!
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry... I assumed it was an issue that could be answered without seeing the mesh.
    Ben... The mesh has already been broken down to be tiled/repeated. Yes a 2048 is a lot of space but the texture requirements are supposed to be 1024 at the minimum. Therefor my other wall piece I made (this is a modular set) was already based off of a 1024. The wall piece I am talking about is about 2 of those skinny strips together.

Super Happy Cow - I am actually not sure that the resolution was impossible, but I was under the understanding that game textures had to fall under a power of 2. I am not sure if the size 2048x3072 falls under that category.

These are my base mesh... Haven't started lowpoly. The full room is on the left and the pieces I wanted to UV are on the right.

unwrapping.jpg
  • ZacD
  • Dr Stench
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it perhaps possible to use more than one texture?
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also can't put it on a separate map either. This piece needs to be on one map for the simplicity for the customer.
    ;)

ZacD - Yeah I ran into his tut yesterday and I can't really do that due to these pieces being unique to each other. I would get odd normal seams.

Super Happy Cow - Because game engines don't support anything else. If it is just for a render... then it doesn't really matter.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm... since I am not limited really on anything I think I am just going to add more pieces to the room to fill up a 2048 x 4096. Really need to get cranking on this and I don't really have time to let everyone else try to figure it out for me. Ideas are still welcome though.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Just looking at that I have no idea why you couldn't possibly put that on a 2048x2048.

There is literally hardly any geometry cuts here. Without seeing a concept it's hard to tell but seriously this looks so low poly that even a 2048x2048 for all of this might be excess.

Also is there a reason you have to put everything on one texture sheet?

Having 4x 512x512s would equal 1x 1024x1024 and would allow you to easily cut the meshes up a bit easier and in terms of using things in other areas (if this was to be used for a game) having everything on one sheet isn't always the best idea. Sometimes smaller textures for each type of modular asset is a better solution when building assets so you aren't loading a huge texture just for a small part of it actually being used in a level or area.

I can't speak for all studios and workflows / habits but that would be a better solution (IMO) than always focusing on making larger textures that are memory heavy..

Consider this.

Bram used a 1024x1024 for the base building and a 1024x1024 for all the additional surface detail parts in this modular building set.

u01.jpg
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse,
    The reason I am saying that I want to put it on a 2048 is because the wall on the right has to be a minimum 1024 texture as that is what the client wants. The piece you were looking at was a "piece" of the modular level. So to keep everything at a similar pixel density I don't want to force this one piece all down into a 2048.
    This piece is going to be a "unique room" as stated by the client... I am trying to keep it fairly unique compared to the rest of the modular walls, floor panels, corner pieces, ect... I am creating something like this >>> link

As for putting it all on one texture... These pieces are going to be sold, so I don't know how to tell the user to make sure to put map A on parts blah blah blah, and map B on parts blah blah blah. I would just like them to be able to drop one texture on the piece and it all just work. Is there a better way to go about it that I am overlooking?

Untitled-1-7.jpg