Home General Discussion

Activision Just Killed Guitar Hero And True Crime

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
http://kotaku.com/#!5756232/activision-just-killed-guitar-hero-and-true-crime

"These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences."

Should have said.

"These decisions are based on the desire to flood the market with more Call of Duty games and expand upon that franchise, because we could literally shit into a box, slap a COD logo on it and put it on shelves and you retards would be none the wiser. It makes us BILLIONS so we want to exploit that as much as possible and not give a flying fuck about making anything new or exciting."

Also announced today:

-Call of Duty: Solider Fitness (kinect fitness game)
-Call of Duty: Cooking for the troops (cooking game much like Cooking Mama but with MREs and Mess hall type food)

YAY Count me excited!

I know GH hasn't done much in recent years so taking a break from it is a great idea but also doing new IPs and actually promoting them or at least look like you give a fuck is a good thing. (EX. Singularity. Did Activision do ANYTHING to help promote it? Sure it wasn't a 90-95 rated game but it was decent enough to get the damn word out)

Replies

• Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats why when Harmonix left guitar hero I never played one since.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Activision is just an angering fucking company. I respect EA and I'm stoked on our current partnership with them. Look at all the new IPs EA has released in the past Two years and will for the next Two. You got tons. Look at Activisions. Only what, two? If you go to their site you see Tony Hawk, COD and Movie Games. For being the richest publisher they sure as hell hate taking a risk and trying something new. I pity any new company being bought out by them.
  • ErichWK
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly ErichWK!!!

Other publishers seem to be taking little risks here and there. EA a lot of them recently and it's refreshing. I love Call of Duty. I get it every year BUT there are also a ton of other ideas floating around out there that could do well if they had support.

It really is a shame.

We also have the Bungie/Activision deal to look forward to and what they come out with. I know they are just published deals but still I'm sure it won't be what we expect. Then again I could be VERY, VERY wrong!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »

Oh yes because more studios working on COD is a good idea.

Let us count now.

Infinity Ward
    Treyarch
    Raven Software
    Sledgehammer Games
    Beachhead

Plus all the other places that get contracted to help with these titles.

Also from the Gamasutra article

"The company says it also plans to reveal an "innovative new universe" at Toy Fair later this week which it claims will "bring the world of toys, video games and the Internet together in an unprecedented way."

Yeah I know what this is and unless you are like 5-10 fucking years old you wont give a fuck about this!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Oh yes because more studios working on COD is a good idea.

Let us count now.

Infinity Ward
    Treyarch
    Raven Software
    Sledgehammer Games
    Beachhead

Plus all the other places that get contracted to help with these titles.

Also from the Gamasutra article

"The company says it also plans to reveal an "innovative new universe" at Toy Fair later this week which it claims will "bring the world of toys, video games and the Internet together in an unprecedented way."

Yeah I know what this is and unless you are like 5-10 fucking years old you wont give a fuck about this!

Might as well change their name to Activeduty-Blizzard.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Activision seem to bleed everything dry recently.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    wait are those call of duty games a joke?

please tell me there a joke :(
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Yay, sounds like beachhead is their way to charge for COD online services.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    shitty, I had a great time working on true crime, it was in decent shape when i left the project too. some strange decisions these days with canning games that are pretty much done, Propaganda's pirates of the Caribbean game got the same treatment too.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If Activision didn't have Blizzard or Call of Duty, what would they have?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If Activision didn't have Blizzard or Call of Duty, what would they have?

Um.... Movie tie in games?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Activision has become an ouroboros. They are devouring their own tail. For a while, they were riding high on profits from franchises that they were exploiting annually. But they didn't realize that fatigue would eventually burn out their properties. The success of Guitar Hero III convinced them that there was no end to what they could wring from their big-name franchises. After several years of exploitation, they can finally see that there is a bottom to the well.

Activision needs to tread cautiously. They thought that Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk would last forever. And right now, they think Call of Duty will too. They were wrong about two of their biggest franchises, they are wrong about the third. Any franchise, no matter how popular, can be fatigued. Nintendo are the masters of long-term marketing and milking of company-owned IP. And even they don't try to release annual entries to each of their major properties.

Activision's strategy is good for short-term profits to wave in front of stockholders. But its a terrible approach to cultivating and maintaining a franchise.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I honestly can't stand COD. I tried to play COD 3 a bit when it came out but I couldn't stand all the NPCs shouting military bla bla bla at me, screw that.

I also remember when Tony Hawk was good. It's the PSX game that I played the most probably when I was teenager. I remember playing it every day for months. I gave a go at one of the more recent Tony Hawks (Proving Grounds) and it was so boring that I gave up after a few hours. Screw that sandbox shit and bring back the arcade'ish structure of the first titles!!

Or maybe not, Tony Hawk feels so obsolete now that we have Skate. Thank you EA, I used to hate you a bit in the past but you redeemed yourself in the last years.

Last but not least, don't get me started on this new goldeneye for the wii. They promised a goldeneye remake and delivered a COD game set in the goldeneye universe! Fuck that!

I leave this little rant with videos from when activion was good:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLQRr2FeMak[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No1HtDAmUo8[/ame]
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Don't think I could ever work for a studio in partnership with Activision. Not unless I had a 'when activision fires me for no reason' savings fund.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Urgh... I tip my hat for the fallen. :(
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know which studios were affected?

Bounch!! Quit spammin me!! :P info@pig-brain.com yo
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    BITCH I SENT YOU TWO MESSAGES. hahah

and it was a good portion of studios from what I understand. I would say it's safe to assume just about all of them outside of blizzard. :(
    sigh.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Might as well change their name to ActivePwnDaIndiezN'OthazCuzIcan-Blizzard.

Fix't.

This perticular studio seems to have such an odd pattern of evolv...err...absorbing other game studios/game developers' work in game industry that US government should admire it.

No one seems to give a damn including Blizzard and I wonder why.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sent two messages to what? FB chat? That's very pedestrian of you... e-mail, sucka! :)

Condolences to those affected by the layoffs. Please check out the Bioware job listings, and get over here to EA:

http://www.bioware.com/careers/austin
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Time to fire up the older consoles and play some good games from back in the day. Back when they still made good games....
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I know Thatdon and Superostrich were working on the guitar hero franchise at some point. really hope they are ok and everyone else affected. Hopefully they got new IPs lined up so nobody loses their jobs.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sad news, hopefully all affected will be back in a job asap.

I'm guessing this is the end of Freestyle Games (DJ Hero 1/2), they're based in my hometown, which was once thriving with studios... not for much longer it would seem.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Now that Guitar Hero is dead. Am I gonna have to learn a real instrument?
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    word on the street is that united front games is no more...

sad for vancouver artist.

any confirmation? my source is not 100% reliable
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi wrote: »
    Now that Guitar Hero is dead. Am I gonna have to learn a real instrument?

Yeah, but there's a game for that now too.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy wrote: »
    word on the street is that united front games is no more...

sad for vancouver artist.

any confirmation? my source is not 100% reliable

Please say this isn't true... ModNation Racers was one of my favourite games of 2010. Would be real sad if those guys got canned completely.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UFG should be alright, they have another project on the go and are not owned by activision, but who knows whats gonna happen with the true crime team. got a bunch of buds there, hope their jobs are safe.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully United Front gets a new title to work on. Mod Nation Racers did pretty good on MetaCritic, 82. Apparently Activision didn't think the True Crime game could compete and wouldn't generate revenue. Which is lame, the gameplay footage looked pretty cool.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L6aniAU2iE&feature=related[/ame]
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apparently Activision didn't think the True Crime game could compete

Does that basically mean 'it's not a Kinect/Move controlled family/kids game that will sell by the truckload'?

I LOVED the first 2 True Crime games and was actually really looking forward to the new one.

It's such a shame the fate of a game prior to release now rests on how many it will sell, rather than how good it is. I mean, sure, a business' main goal is to sell product for profit, but I guess we no longer live in a time when quality=sales.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From UFGs front page:

"Special Announcements:
    TRUE CRIME: We are sorry we did not get a chance to complete this project with Activision, but we understand why. We are both committed to doing quality games and nothing less. Maybe we will have a chance to work together in the future, but in the meantime we are setting our creative sights on a different horizon. You can keep up with the latest developments at UFG here on our site."

So it just looks like the deal with ATVI is done... Maybe some layoffs but not closed down.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's such a shame the fate of a game prior to release now rests on how many it will sell, rather than how good it is. I mean, sure, a business' main goal is to sell product for profit, but I guess we no longer live in a time when quality=sales.

The industry hasn't been that way for a while now. As it grew, it transitioned into a business model where the flop of a single game could kill an entire studio. Its the consequence of having mega-publishers and development budgets with 8 figures. (and even higher marketing budgets)

After a string of successes earlier in the decade, Activision's limited vision is finally forcing them to feel the pinch. Now several of their owned studios are being shut down. They will probably be on the prowl for popular new franchises, so that they can purchase them and then exploit the hell out of them.

Thankfully, the indie and downloadable space is doing pretty well. In those areas companies are able to produce reasonably budgeted games for reasonable prices.

228852564_ebkPQ-L-2.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This isn't really the thread to talk about it I guess but the way I see it is that indie studios can only get bigger and better.

Surely there will come a time when the dev teams on these mindless crap projects actually think 'Ok, enough of making this shit, I'm gonna go find me a job where I actually make some good stuff'. I understand that right now, a job is a job and even if you're making 'My Little Pets House 4' you kinda suck it up and be thankful you actually have a job. But surely this can only go on for so long.

Maybe we'll see a revolution, where the big publishers lose all their staff to indie studios, who've left in the hope of making some decent games. New franchises will be born, lots of money will be made, and, oh shit, we're back at the beginning again!

I guess it's just a big, money fuelled cycle which can only repeat itself.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This isn't really the thread to talk about it I guess but the way I see it is that indie studios can only get bigger and better.

I'm not sure that's the direction things are going to take. After all, the small size of indie studios are one of their biggest advantages when compared to the mega-publishers. I think that change is far more likely in the mega-publisher model, and that it is already happening. Ten years ago, Apple didn't involve themselves with games at all, and Valve was just a game developer with one major title under their belt. Now both Apple and Valve are major publishers in their own right. And both of them have done an impressive job at providing sales platforms for indie development.

Platforms that are friendlier to small-scale development are rapidly gaining in popularity. I think we are going to see platform holders starting to go directly to small teams and start-ups. As more small-scale indies prove that they can earn a living on their own, the mega publishers will begin hemorrhaging employees.

Everyone prefers the idea of being their own boss, and working on their own projects. You still need huge studios for large-scale, polished games. But with all the tools available, and the platforms that are open to small indie studios, such mega projects are no longer where all, or even most of the money is. There are quite a few people who would be willing to trade a little security for more freedom.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18

Surely there will come a time when the dev teams on these mindless crap projects actually think 'Ok, enough of making this shit, I'm gonna go find me a job where I actually make some good stuff'. I understand that right now, a job is a job and even if you're making 'My Little Pets House 4' you kinda suck it up and be thankful you actually have a job. But surely this can only go on for so long.

Maybe we'll see a revolution, where the big publishers lose all their staff to indie studios, who've left in the hope of making some decent games. New franchises will be born, lots of money will be made, and, oh shit, we're back at the beginning again!

I guess it's just a big, money fuelled cycle which can only repeat itself.

Not in this economy. Chances are until things start picking up people will stick to whatever job they can get..
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    seriously, people should team up to and make a game company with a more entrepreneurial mindset and not merely with the passion and desire to make gaems. like, make a company and then makes some casual games and then sell the shit company in 1,3 or 5 years or something. i guess, try and be a part of the core team and not some lackey getting paid to make pretty or fancy shit while someone else above you with a modicum of business sense plots your demise...

So much flack was given for facebook devs back in the day, and while they churn out crappy "me too" games, they do bankroll and keep those dollars when things dry up again. of course i am only using facebook as an example, but you all get the idea. I guess I've been around my roommate too much and his business sense has rubbed off me considerably, and i am super impressed at how an aggressive campaign with a somewhat sane business model and no real idea for a game other than 'hay guys lets make a bunch of money really fast with a me too game" turned out. Funny thing is how a lot of smaller and larger developers and publishers are taking to these much smaller games since the price point for development of another AAA flop is destined to not make its money back.

I am just tired of seeing this dumb shit with the no planning involved other than to 'make the best goddamn game ever' in the most short-term sense of the phrase possible, along with the "let's sign on with a publisher and get taken care of for life" idea. But i guess that is the crux to all of this, right? That no one really thinks about anything long term, and more importantly [considering the economic environment], nobody actually plans for anything as merely a short term goal with a quick gain. we all walk into something assuming its going to be permanent in an economy that is anything but stable and hope that the powers that be that are in charge have a clue and a plan. it's incredible really. plus the benefits are almost unilateral once your soul is signed away to a larger entity. i think at this point most people with significance layoff history will realize that owners of companies really benefit from acquisitions while everyone else will flounder. at some point people will have to come to some sort of sense about what it relevant and important with themselves and their livelihood. Does any of this make any sense?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cochtl, I'm pretty sure I misread your entire comment, but it came across as if your suggestion is exactly the way the industry already is heading.

Saying games should be made for profit, and not for 'games' sake, and also saying that too many companies are trying to make the best game ever, is, in my opinion the real problem.

Not enough big devs (at the hands of the publishers of course) are taking 'risks' and trying to make the best game ever, they're sticking with safe, mass-appeal stuff like franchises, social network games etc which they know aren't great games but will turn massive profits.

I think it's the complete opposite that needs to happen. Artists and programmers (and all the other guys on the dev side of things) need to make a stand. Thing is, there's plenty of them who stand up and say 'Oh man 'Publisher X' is just sucking the franchise dry, screwing the studios, hunting huge profits', yet they then get up the next morning and get back to work on 'Call of Duty 14'. When these guys actually say 'you know what Activision, no we won't make your shit game, because we're gamers, who were raised on decent games, and it's high time we started making some of those good games again'... leave the studio, start/join indie teams and start making a change, then maybe things would improve.

Those people exist, they complain about the state of the industry, but are part of the engine that powers it. As I mentioned before, in this economic climate, a job is a job, which may explain part of the reason people don't make a stand. But the truth is, publishers can be as evil as they like, but they'll still always need development teams to actually make those games, and while those teams still suck it up and make these shit games, they will continue to be produced.

Of course, as I said, I could've misread you entirely and my view is purely from a 'not employed in the industry civilian' point of view.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    It's happening NOW, not when the iron was hot, like say, 2 years ago, hence the 'me too' aspect of all this. there's trendsetting and then there is following the beaten path. that is why i mentioned that teams should have a more entrepreneurial spirit and not walk in with merely passion. having foresight, a gut instinct and knowing when to quit are key to coming out ahead. But most people are not savvy enough to do such things [myself included]. That's not to say that we can't better plan for what lies ahead than just accepting things as they are, its just that doing something of that magnitude is a lot of work and somewhat daunting considering how new this market is and how often technology changes.

also, im not talking from a game dev perspective, more from a, 'im getting older and this shit is also getting old' perspective. i always hear the same 'work smarter not harder BS in the workplace, but that should also apply to our actual career itself and not just with the work associated with game development. i guess it's easier to bow out than it is to plan ahead and think more critically of our futures? i dunno, i guess i wanna have my cake and eat it too.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    cochtl wrote: »
    i wanna have my cake and eat it too.
    I never understood that. If I have cake, it's mine, and the hell if I am not going to eat it. Cake is delicious.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Lamont wrote: »
    I never understood that. If I have cake, it's mine, and the hell if I am not going to eat it. Cake is delicious.

Why wouldnt you want to eat cake if you have it.

Do you think its a lie?
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cake goes against my Paleo diet. You can have my piece...
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I think it's the complete opposite that needs to happen. Artists and programmers (and all the other guys on the dev side of things) need to make a stand. Thing is, there's plenty of them who stand up and say 'Oh man 'Publisher X' is just sucking the franchise dry, screwing the studios, hunting huge profits', yet they then get up the next morning and get back to work on 'Call of Duty 14'. When these guys actually say 'you know what Activision, no we won't make your shit game, because we're gamers, who were raised on decent games, and it's high time we started making some of those good games again'... leave the studio, start/join indie teams and start making a change, then maybe things would improve.

Thats an interesting viewpoint, but a also pretty naive one. Its a fantastic idea yes, but the truth is, when you work for a company that is funded by a publisher, they get a good say in what goes on with the game because they are paying for the entire development.

Everyone likes to think a bunch of employees standing up and refusing to work would make a difference, but the truth is corporate would find it a mild annoyance and simply fire them all and replace them with people willing to bend over backwards to work on said franchise/get into the industry. part of the problem is beacause this industry is such a global one, there is no real sense of unification within the workforce.

also, everyone seems to love this idea of going indie, but having worked at a smaller studio, I can say its not that simple. from my experience finding funding is EXTRMELEY hard and the sense of the studio surviving month to month is stressful. then the pay cheques get delayed and bullshit excuses come out. I was literally left waiting 2 months to be paid, and only found out I was not being paid after I checked my bank account a couple days after payday and asked.

atleast working for a large company with a big publisher behind it if they are going to fuck you they are usually going to be paying you a decent severance package, and its almost guarenteed you will be paid out, simply because the corporation behind it is way to huge to want to bother with any type of lawsuit over a trivial amount of an artists' salary.

this is kinda getting off topic I guess, but having worked on True Crime, yea I am choked it got canned, but I would still rather work in a large studio on a big AAA title any day.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I hope all who's jobs were lost land new ones quickly. I'm curious as to whether the Guitar Hero concept had really naturally run it's course, or if it was too much a victim of Activision going "HOLY SHIT this concept is selling like hotcakes, let's crank out as many of these games and plastic guitars as possible as quickly as we can!"
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Activision to acquire Take-Two?

Just a rumor as of now, but makes sense (in the addle-minded business world of game publishing, that is) - drop your previously milked IPs and pick up a few more. I'd like to think that Take Two has enough market presence to end up more like Blizzard, but the thought of Activision dismantling a studio of that stature because the new Bioshock didn't sell as much as Black Ops turns my stomach a bit.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Looks like they are trying to reboot Spyro? Sorta?
    Sounds like an expensive concept for consumers.
    http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Spyro-Returns-in-Game-and-Toy-Hybrid-Skylanders/8404
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Looks like they are trying to reboot Spyro? Sorta?
    Sounds like an expensive concept for consumers.
    http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Spyro-Returns-in-Game-and-Toy-Hybrid-Skylanders/8404

Ahh yes this WONDERFUL idea... Fucking really. I have known about this one for so long since I was part of a prototype that involved the same shit but with a MUCH cooler theme.

But nothing like having to buy toys to unlock content that is indeed already on the disk.

GENIOUS!!!

Now I wait for them to do a Pokemon game with these portals that can read the toys.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's damn shame, True Crime Hong Kong looked like it would have been fun.

Best of luck to anyone out of work because of this.
    Artifice wrote: »
    ...but the thought of Activision dismantling a studio of that stature because the new Bioshock didn't sell as much as Black Ops turns my stomach a bit.

Man I'm going to have nightmares now :(
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh yes this WONDERFUL idea... Fucking really. I have known about this one for so long since I was part of a prototype that involved the same shit but with a MUCH cooler theme.

But nothing like having to buy toys to unlock content that is indeed already on the disk.

GENIOUS!!!

Now I wait for them to do a Pokemon game with these portals that can read the toys.

I agree...they say it's a breakthrough in interactivity (coughtonyhawkridecough) but it really sounds like a money making scheme. They are probably going to charge $59.99 for the game and supposedly there are what, 50+ characters? And in order to use a character..you're going to have to buy a separate toy? Wheres the interactivity? Okay, it saves data into it...so what.. what else does it do? It's not like the Dreamcast memory card that let you do shit with it after you saved. And what the hell did they do to Spyro??
    activision-announces-skylanders-spyros-adventure.jpg