Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SGU Console(Stargate Universe)

ajr2764
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys. I've been working on this console from Stargate Universe on and off for the last month or so. I plan on it being a portfolio piece and I wanted to model this because of the interesting design and a need to push my modeling further. Im finished with the hi-poly model and will be starting the low poly soon. Any C&C are greatly appreciated.

Ref%20Board.jpg?w=3eb1b2ceRef%20Board.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Replies

• ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the low poly model and unwrap and will be attempting to start baking maps out in the next few days. I wanted to get some feedback on the what I have so far before I move on. My main thing is my uv's and if there is too little padding for baking. Thanks.

LowPoly.jpg

LowPoly.jpg?w=bf666b67

UV_WIP.jpg?w=86a653e3
    LowPoly.jpg?w=bf666b67
    UV_WIP.jpg?w=86a653e3
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    When I was watching the last episode, I became tempted to model something it.
    Good job so far! Keep it up!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey there. SGU is/was my favorite show on TV. I like what you've done, although I think nearly 8,000 tris for such a prop is a bit heavy. Also, yes...I think you may want to space your UV's out a little bit more, depending on the texture resolution you plan on using.

You also seem to have some stuff overlapping, or some extra geo thats really not needed. You've got a button panel separate from the console itself, but you're dedicating full texture space to both. Why? You'll never see whats behind the panel. You're wasting texture space and geo. I think in general you've got a lot of stuff thats represented with geometry that you should leave to the normal map/texturing.
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. The show was good indeed, they brought it back to show the last 10 episodes but sadly I've lost alot of interest in the show. Some cool set designs especially the bridge of the ship.

@ScoobyDoofus

I'm thinking of texturing at 2k and downsizing to 1k for the final, so I'll go back & adjust the padding. You brought up a good point about the overlapping parts, I didn't look at it like that before. The reason why I modeling all those panels separate was because of topology issues I'd have. It seemed simpler to intersect them into the console top and the amount of tri's would go up to cut those in. I see what your saying with the wasted texture space. What do you suggest I do in this case?

Alot of the tris is because of the numerous wires. I really should have dropped the number of sides on the wires. I left them 8 sided which I had a feeling was too much. Currently all the wires make up about 4100 tri's.
  • Elith2
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Some of your pictures seem to be missing, BUT, from what I can see this is looking sweet dude, its funny looking at this while I'm working on something similar and just being like oh hey yeah I made that exactly like that too.

But yeah get it finished. My only crit, would be the detailing that runs along the inner rim of everything, seems a little soft compared to everything else. But that's minor and it may have came out quite shiny and nice in the bake.
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    Been busy but I'm trying to be focused this year get projects finished and put together a portfolio finally. I finally baked all maps and here is the AO and normal view, I'm going to start texturing. Let me know what you'll think.

AO_01.jpg
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    Diffuse base colors

DiffusePass01.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like a nice solid start, I would experiment a little bit with the basic colors :) keep going!
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Ill see about playing with the colors more I was trying to stay close to the original but another color scheme would be interesting.
  • DestinyVic
    Sorry to revive an old thread. Did you ever manage to finish this console at all? I ask as im looking to 3d print one to fit a tablet into for my desk and was wondering if you would sell me a copy at all? 
    Kind regards
    Vic