Home General Discussion

get bored !!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
hi guys

i have this problem around .. when i work on project
i always get bored and thinking about starting a new project and the same problem :poly122: wath should i do ? :poly142:

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    1) just power through the wall - if you're a production artist you have to do this

2) Creative Procrastination: sure, when you get bored work on something else, when you get bored with that revisit some of the other stuff you got bored with.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    ahahahahahahahaha, dreamer wtf.

anyways, sometimes you just have to force yourself to finish stuff, or else you'll end up with gigs of half-assed unfinished stuff. If necessary, take a break for a lil while, then just power through it like Jesse said.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justin_meisse : thanks man , helpful advice :)
    @Dreamer : lol
    @daphz : thanks dud , i think taking a break is a good idea :)

thanks guys
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    find fast ways/workflows to finish stuff
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Also ambition is the destroyer of souls! Start small, dont try to do too much or dream too big. If you are struggling to do full projects it could be you want and are trying to do to much. Do some mini envio's/props as they will help you get faster/increase your skill level. Then start to expand and do more. Since the project is small it will be easier to finish.

And who dosnt love to finish ;)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Have you tried doing something else that you do enjoy doing?
    If this is a constant problem and no project in the world is interesting to you then it sounds like you're just forcing yourself to become a game artist instead of actually wanting to become one.
    And if that's the case then what's the point?

There are plenty of unenjoyable jobs out there that are less stressful and far less competitive.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys for nice advice ... at now i'm going to try doing more props modeling and texturing , because i have to get my skills up and after that making a small envir and get partice and practice :)
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    I never get bored with something i'm working on, i just hit a point where i'm not skilled enough to finish it. That's when i realize that i need to practice more or start using the right reference.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always try to break down what I'm currently doing into a little task list and commit it to paper. If I want to keep a reasonable pace on whatever I'm working on I try to get as much scribbled off the list as possible.

It may sound cheesy, but committing your intended actions to paper really helps keep you focused and you get things done much quicker. Whenever you start working at the start of each day, just evaluate where you are with the work and add whatever is needed. Whenever you finish something, look at the list and don't hesitate to get started on something else right away. Only stop for lunchbreaks, physical activity and stretching, or sleep.

Probably the most important bit is to pick your projects carefully. If you start something, it had better be worth finishing. Even if it's terrible towards the end, the mistakes you learn from completing it to the best of your abilities will help your thought process later on, and avoiding the mistakes you made earlier.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Great ideas are a dime a dozen, but the ability to successfully execute them is priceless.

Being able to finish what you start is a skill that can be improved through practice, just like any other. This is why it's such great advice to start with very small projects and work your way up... it will help you keep your projects at a scale that you are ready for and keep you excited about them throughout the process. Your ability to finish things will keep pace with the quality of your work.

Unfortunately I learned most of that the hard way rather than by absorbing the wisdom of those who had already been down the path before me. :P
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    ayoub44 wrote: »
    hi guys

i have this problem around .. when i work on project
    i always get bored and thinking about starting a new project and the same problem :poly122: wath should i do ? :poly142:

Whenever you feel bored take time off and do something else, then come back to that project and work on it some more.

thats what I do. :S
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys , i think the problem is don't have a planning or Organization for my work .. so i'm gonna make a table with exel and organize my work :) .. and taking a break and playing games ^^

thanks again
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    set yourself a task you want to do even less than finish your project. Then, you'll finish it just to avoid the other thing :P
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I'd fuck my doppleganger.