Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Makkon Hooded Concept Character

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
MattQ86 polycounter lvl 14
Hey everybody

I've wanted to make a sculpt out of this concept piece by Makkon since I first saw it. So after I got his permission I worked on this for a while bouncing between multiple programs when I have the free time. Feel free to rip this one to shit since I do not want to fail not only myself but also Makkon. He seems like a nice person.

Makkonsculpt_v1.png

Replies

• popngear
    I'm not much a character artist, but I would compare your model with some reference, tehre's a lot of it that seems a bit off proportionally. I would also do some cloth studies - the way your cloth hangs is very unnatural and a little bit gravity defying. The tears on the hood also follow the concept far too closely. The tatters and tears on the hood are pretty unnatural and squarish as well. Cool idea, just grab some more reference and plug away :)
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    As stated above, pay more attention to anatomy. The legs need to be longer, for example.
    Think of how the hood hangs down on top of the head and face and try to make good shapes out of that.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkonsculpt_v3.png

Made the legs longer, started some basic sculpting on the wraps. Crits? Paintovers? Death threats?
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    you should add a bit more mass to the legs, atm, it looks like she is anemic or something due to the skinnyness of the legs. in the concept, the legs are quite a bit larger and round, giving her the curves that look good.

and the flat stomach looks wrong, humans have curve, so add a bit of bulge and arc to the abdomen, and it should look so much better.
    you should look especially at classical paintings,
    like this one by Delacroix: Here

too many female references have very flat stomachs, not that its a bad thing, but your concept is much fuller than that.

also, the breasts look like they need to be a bit lower, and a bit larger.

I wont even crit on the feet, I'm assuming you havent touched them yet :)

Edit:
    and here is a proportion comparison with an average stock model: Here
  • ıomeen
    I wonder why all the base meshes look the same lately
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some time this weekend after spending two days finding drivers that don't cause my computer to bluescreen once an hour. If you don't get anything else out of this thread walk away with this: Don't use the ATI auto-updater on Steam.

makkonsculpt_V4.png

@Shrew:
    Thanks for the feedback.

The legs and abdomen are pretty different from the references you posted in the concept and maybe more importantly the reference images Makkon gave me. Still at some point smoothing out the buildup on the stomach flattened it too much so I pushed the abdomen a bit more as you suggested. I started on the feet but it's probably my biggest shortcoming with anatomy. I'll post closer pics when I've done some more work on them.

@lomeen
    Not a crit buddy.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    To me it feels like her breasts aren't "resting" on her chest, doesn't look as natural, I could understand if the bandage thing would hold them up but it doesn't look like it would be able to.

It'd be good if you show us some side-shots as well :) Good work so far buddy.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    newturnaround.png

Ok, lowered the breasts a bit. Here's a simple turn around.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the last post now that I've better formed the feet and hands. If there's no other crits I guess I'll start on the low poly.