Home Technical Talk

Thinking about new software.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone really wanting to learn some more software to broaden my 3D horizon as an artist. Right now my main tools of the trade or 3DS max and zbrush(and all the texturing software necessary).

I want to learn something new and I'm in the middle of Maya and SoftImage as well as Mudbox possibly. Trying to get a grasp of what is used more in everyones opinion and what is worth my time. I would love to say all of them, but one at a time lol.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Hi aaronmwolford,

from what I've learn from a senior artist, it's better to master 1 software at a time.
    Example, you try to master Max and Maya, but the time you'll learn Maya (which is more use on film industry), you can put that time on making awesome epic works. This is more for people who just graduate from school. Also, don't forget that software are just tools, try to spend more time learning the "art" itself.

From my experience, I've learn Softimage in college.
    Animation tools are great, but the modeling and texturing tools need more improvements. I don't know any gaming company using Softimage for in-game contents. For Maya, I know some of them. :)
  • Heartless
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    Stick with Max and zBrush. You won't be learning any new skills with Maya, Softimage, or Mudbox.
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Maya for sure.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's plenty of big studios that use softimage, valve, Lionhead Studios, Konami (MGS4)
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    I'm pretty sure Ubisoft used 3ds Max on Assasin's Creed:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=10316291&linkID=10225710

Anyway,

I don't think it's really needed to learn new tools unless you want to apply for a job and the company uses Maya, SoftImage etc. Then it might be a good idea to learn the tool they use.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Forget Softimage, Mayas useful to know if you're aiming for companies that use it, but I'd learn UDK before any of that if you don't know it and already feel comfortable with Max/ZBrush/Photoshop.
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I liked Max and then I got a job at a medical company that used Maya, and now I love that even more. However, at least in my opinion, Max is faster modeler. I like the way you change between selection modes in Max too.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    SanderDL wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Ubisoft used 3ds Max on Assasin's Creed:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=10316291&linkID=10225710

For some reason I could of sworn I saw a making of video with clips in xsi, I could be wrong though...

but yeah really doesnt matter.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    From my experience, I've learn Softimage in college.
    Animation tools are great, but the modeling and texturing tools need more improvements. I don't know any gaming company using Softimage for in-game contents
    I thought the modeling and texturing tools were great (especially post 7.5, once they began to include the new unwrap plugin).
    There are quite a bit of games that use it, heavy hitters too. It's just not that common for North American developers. Capcom has put it to great use (the Resident Evil series, new Street Fighters, the Lost Planet Games, the Devil May Cry's, etc), Konami (main tool for Metal Gear Solid 3/4), Square seems to be using it now (The Last Remnant, Final Fantasy 13 and 14), the guys behind Bayonetta and Vanquish, all the Fables, the Ninja Gaidens, and more (as far back as Mario64 and Zelda). But if you're on this side of the world, Max/Maya seem to have more ground. Ubisoft used Max for the game portion of AC, but Ubisfot Digital Arts (the guys responsible for Ubi's cinematics) have been known to use Softimage in the past (including for the first AC). I think Blur still uses it as well.
    / Softimage plug

But yeah, you might be better off learning other programs, be it an engine or something smaller like 3dcoat. Unless you're aiming for a more technical position, chances are you'd only have to relearn the shortcuts and menu locations in order to switch from modeling in one program to another.
  • chronic
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    Softimage XSI is great because its not bogged down by decades old legacy code - its the most forward thinking major package.

Mudbox is also great because it is much more focused and to the point than the mess of incomplete features that Zbrush is - plus its got great 3D painting tools.

but in the end it doesn't matter - if you make amazing models a company will retrain you to their systems anyway.

BTW I use Maya and Zbrush at work and at home.
  • Farfarer
    ZacD wrote: »
    There's plenty of big studios that use softimage, valve, Lionhead Studios, Konami (MGS4)
    Pretty sure Valve dropped XSI after HL2.

From what I know (well, from speaking to an employee 'bout 3 years back) they use Maya and modo these days.
  • Cyrael
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10

Square Enix as well.
  • maze
    For some reason I could of sworn I saw a making of video with clips in xsi, I could be wrong though...

but yeah really doesnt matter.

Maybe because ubi bought Hybride which is a former softimage vfx house. So they might be doing some cinematics, I am not sure. I am learning softimage so far it rocks!

I will like to work at hybride, they do awesome work!
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks a lot guys, Yea I'm seeing a lot of your opinions. I would much rather just perfect the tools I know, rather than bogging my time down with software.

BTW I opened both maya and softimage and from first glance, I like softimages interface a lot more, but that's besides the point.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Understanding the principals of how things work and honing your artistic skills is far more important than what package you currently favour.

Id stick with what you know and make some awesome models. Thats going to mean much more than saying Maya on your resume.
  • Cortes
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    Stick with softimage if you want a nice, clean package that can animate well, but you better be happy with mental ray.

I still feel that being proficient with multiple packages/renderers is a great workplace skill to have though, even though they're all just tools for the same purpose.
  • lloyd
    Softimage is a pretty cool guy
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Yep, the Max to Softimage route seems to be the way to go.
  • Mark Dygert
    Maya seems like a pretty logical step to take. It would be handy to know how it operates.
    since it seems like you're more likely to run into a place that uses it at some point than the other software on your list.

I don't know too many places that use mudbox instead of zbrush and softimage at least in the US rarely gets used for game development, I hear in japan its used a bit more often...
  • DeathFlail
    Talon wrote: »
    Pretty sure Valve dropped XSI after HL2.
    I wouldn't be surprised if valve dropped softimage.. it was extremely buggy when I tried it before Autodesk bought it. It's gone through some major changes since then, though. But still, I don't know anyone that has used it other than valve.
    perna wrote: »
    software skills != art skills
    Overall, Perna is right imo. I've spent a lot of time working with other software, looking for ways to improve my pipeline. There might be some pretty cool features out there for other apps, but no silver bullet when it comes to game development. In my opinion, focus on your artwork and learn new 3d packages as needed. I'm a hypocrite though, because even though I do believe that, I can't help but tinker with other apps when they come out with new features.

If you're still interested in learning something else, though.. I'd go with Maya, just because it's used by a lot of studios.
    In my opinion, in comparison to max:
    - Modelling: worse
    - uv mapping: slightly worse
    - rigging: waaaay better
    - animation: better