Home Technical Talk

New to 3D modeling.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
acarr polycounter lvl 6
Well, I just got a 3 year student license for 3DS Max. This is the first time I've used 3DS Max, and I was planning on looking up some tutorials to get started.

So, my question is this: Is there any way for a tutorial to demonstrate something the "wrong way"? I don't want to be following a tutorial and have to re-learn everything when I find out that they did something most artists would call "incorrect". Or is there only one general way to do most modeling?

Thanks.

Replies

• martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martynball polycounter lvl 10
    Ive been modlling for afew years now, not watched too many tutorials. Just afew, so from my experience getting good at modelling is basically practice and experience.

It just suddenly snaps and then you understand how to do it properly and how to place you polygons.

Use forums as much as you can and ASK for crit, you want it, trust me.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/3ds-Max-Modeling-Games-Environment/dp/0240810619/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296607443&sr=1-1[/ame]

Worth it, some very good references, and really breaks it down step by step in teaching you how to model, unwrap, texture.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    work work work, lol. I've done so many tutorials I could puke, but I learned so much its ridiculous. Agree with superhappycow, I don't think you can learn something completely wrong. Just by doing tutorials you are learning how to use the software.

3Dtotal.com
    cg.tutsplus.com

These are both sites that I used to learn a thing or two.

Long story short, just do it and the skill will come.
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    cgtuts is a great place to start , and if you can get it, the eat3d introduction to 3ds. it has great hotkey tips and great information on all aspects of 3ds workflow.

jus start small and managable to avoid ragequit moments.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Cgtut plus is a great place, pick up their techniques, but some of the tutorials aren't for games, I am unsure if your looking into game art. Feel free to contact me with questions. Pm or skype: aajohnny2.
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    Even if you learn a few things the "wrong way", you've still learned valuable knowledge.

Learn the basics of Max. The menus, the hot keys, etc. It's a HUGE piece of software so it's gonna be overwhelming. But you're not going to get anywhere if you aren't comfortable in your environment.

YouTube has so many tutorials, it's not even funny.
    Watch. Learn. Try. Fail. Rinse and repeat.

If you want more in-depth tutorials, you may want to check out Lynda.com
    They cost, but they are usually worth it.

Then post your progress and Polycount will be more than happy to tell you where you've messed up.
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the encouraging words guys, and thanks for links. I'll be sure to post once I make something substantial.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "3 year student license of 3dsmax"

F1 is your friend so is, Main Menu > Help. Seriously! You almost don't need anything else...

With other random tutorials people will assume things that you won't know or will pass over things so quickly you're left with a hole in a workflow. But the documentation that comes with max never really does that. It's also incredibly helpful for when you do skip across a term or a button that someone tosses out there and you want to see exactly what it does, why and how to use it in an example.

I know in just about every other app out there these are totally unhelpful and not worth even looking into but in max these are probably the apps core strengths to those learning. Every few days I crack open the help doc and search for something, even more often for the maxscript help doc.
  • exhatrent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im just interested, how are you going to celebrate New Year? Where and how are you going to celebrate it? About me - Im going to celebrate it in the restaurant with my husband, just from 31 of December, and after that well go to the booked hotel lux room.. What about you?
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you are going to sleep, wear headphones (but don't fall asleep with them still on - just lay down somewhat early and be ready to take them off when your eyes start to itch with sleep), and watch video tutorials. You only have to look at the screen when someone you don't get is being said.

In other words, watch and listen to the tutorials for the sole purpose of hearing it explained, being talked about, opinions may be mixed in, etc.

YES it is very very common to find mistakes or inadequate explanations of why we do certain things certain ways even when they are correct in video tutorials, one little piece of bunk info won't break an hour long "lecture" tho :P

Already watched a UV unwrap tut? Already good at it? Cool, watch 20 more UV unwrap tuts. Just because sharing in the experience of others will broaden your experience.

I watch more tutorials than I watch any kind of TV or movies. I don't necessarily watch them to "learn" things as much as I watch them because I love to know how other people do things. 9/10 times there is at least one small thing in a tut that gets my brain turning on something new.

If you will do the tutorials (like, work through them with the maker), dual monitors are perfect for that.

The best video tutorials show you how to use things, not teach you specific things.

meaning, the best ones will show you the ins-and-outs of how to use some functions, not necessarily how to make a specific object. You don't wanna really watch them for the purpose of doing what they do in the video, you wanna watch them for the purpose of SEEING the application being used, and then transferring what you saw to your next sessions that may use the stuff you just saw used.

Often times you can find a tutorial on something you already know how to make "making a rock" for example sounds like a boring tutorial to most of the people on this forum, but in it, you may find some cool new features and techniques that you never would think to apply to a rock, and that you'd also instantly be like "hey, this will also help in times of _____"(fill in blank with random use of some tool or hidden function that is being creatively used on that rock you already know how to make and could be added to your arsenal for other objects etc :P)
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6
    -Insert Helpful Post Here-
    Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to watch as many tutorials as possible...even if it is just making a rock.