Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Damian Lazarski - Environment Monkey

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
I will cut the bullshit and get right to the point.

I made a website

http://www.damianlazarski.com

It's still quite basic and I'm planning on adding much more content. Some of my older assets need some additional polish (you see what I did here? :poly142:) before they can be uploaded. My resume page also needs a bit more love, but I'm way too tired to do that today. However, I have a lot more free time now that the exams are over, so I will keep chruning out art like a mad baboon. I've been slacking off for way too long.

But regardless of it being very WIP, I would still love to hear some honest and harsh critique. Grind me to death guys, I would never get to this point if it wasn't for this place :thumbup:

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This is a nice site, and your work is pretty awesome. Like you said, just keep adding more content. I'd like to take your UDK scenes and turn them into adventure games.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Dude to be honest, you website is pretty much good to go. Your work is great, it's all presented well, and you have breakdowns of your HP and LP stuff and some textures. Just fix up what you said you need to and I think your set!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving your work. Very well presented too :)
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
    Your stuff is awesome. Where I come from, you could definitely land a job. Maybe you'll work at CD Projekt one day. The Witcher 2 is looking effing awesome.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Great stuff , love your Riverside and your Pillar props. You're Polish and 1 year into a university course in Newcastle? Any other college or games industry experience?
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Really nice job! I think your site looks great, and you work is really sharp too.

Purely from a graphic design standpoint, the only thing that I would tweak is the kerning on your last name in the header; those first 3 letters are especially bunched up.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    very nicely done! love ur style
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome stuff tea! did you change the lighting on the cellar? Also why the marks on the resume lol. Portfolio is the one that matters :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I swear i just saw those rocks in Magicka!

Killer stuff, legit as heck!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Great work! Riverside looks absolutely stunning. Nice work mate!
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
    I seriously just want to take a stroll down that Riverside path to that cellar in some adventure RPG, and I don't even play RPGs. Very awesome work.
  • Jonsnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • attattattack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    attattattack polycounter lvl 8
    Man, I love your subtle use of color, really cool site too nice layout!
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    I'd change Home to something like Works. Also, I don't imagine using DropBox to serve your site is a good idea.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Fuckin finally tea. Good stuff, ace all around. ;)
  • pand0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace work, clean and sober website design: I like!
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to echo the general sentiment that your portfolio is very impressive - and even more so for a student! Stunning work for both organic and man-made environments. I have no doubt that you will find employment at will. :)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    It works, and it's awesome.
    Let's make a baby.... (just don't tell Ferg)
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Sexy stuff, would love to see some flythroughs on the levels!
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    That medieval cellar is sweet! nice site overall.

Just noticed from your resume page that you're still a student - even more awesomer
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great site and work! Straight forward and simple with awesome art.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work on that riverside! Love that foliage.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    you have some fantastic work man, incredibly inspiring :) Bookmarked FOREVER!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, I didn't expect so many replies in only several hours. I don't even know where to start.

cholden: Thanks a lot! I'm a huge fan of adventure games, so I'm really happy to hear that's reflected in my works.

Rurouni Strife: Thanks mate. I still think I should do more detailed breakdowns tho ;)

bbob:
    Cheers man. I'm glad you like it!

Orchidface:
    Aye, Witcher II looks pretty sweet and I absolutely loved the first one (I played the original version with polish voice acting which is hilarious xD). I'm not sure however, if I will be settling down my country anytime soon. I would like to live in at least few different countries before I die. I love to visit my friends and family, but I had my share of Poland for now ;)

Kevin Johnstone: Thanks a lot Kevin! I've been inspired by your work from the moment I started posting here, so receiving some praise from you feels great. As an answer to your questions; I left my country when I was 18 and then worked in a restaurant for several months, before I realized what I really wanted to do. Sadly, I have no professional experience in the industry. But I am really hoping to change that as soon as I can.

Sebeuroc: A reall valid point. My name is as hard to pronounce as it is. No reason to make it even harder ;) The banner should be fixed now.

Mio: Thanks a lot mate!

haiddasalami
    : Thanks. Yes, I did change the lighting a bit. I am still not entirely happy with it but I might tweak it later on. I find lightmass to be rather tricky when working with such small and cramped environment and I feel like I still need to learn more about it in order to get the results I want. Btw, I removed the marks; I copied my education section from the cv I did for school and forgot to get rid of them ;P

crazyfingers: I wish! Magicka is an awesome game. Thanks mate.

kaburan: Thanks a lot Will!

TychoVII: Cheers mate!

Jonsnow: Thanks

attattattack: Cheers. I'm happy to hear that you like it.

Heartless:
    Good point, I will try to rename it to something like art just to make things clear enough. About dropbox; I wouldn't worry about it too much. The whole website is only 4mb and I don't expect thousands of views. Thanks!

Wahlgren:
    Haha, took me ages, but here it is :poly142:

pand0r:
    Thanks a lot!

popngear: Cheers. Getting a job would be pretty nice. Cheap canned food gets boring after a while ;)

Firebert: We could always have a threesome, ha! Thanks mate :D

Mr Bear:
    Yeah, some flythroughs would be nice. The cellar might be a bit too cramped for that, but I would certainly love to do something like this for the riverside. That however, will have to wait until UDK gets some new terrain tools. Performance is a bit bad at the moment since all foliage had to be placed by hand.

nullfed: Cheers. I got to addmit, my student responsibilities got a bit in my way last year, but tell santa I'm gonna be a good boy this year and do more art.

jeffro: Thanks a lot Jeff

dtschultz: Cheers. Keep in mind that some of the foliage looks a bit iffy upclose, but that's something I'm planning to fix ;)

JasonLavoie: I had yours bookmarked for a while. Now we can call it even :poly142: Thanks Jason.

Sorry for the huuge wall of text, but I really wanted to thank each of you personally. I wouldn't make it this far without your help guys :poly136:
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice work, well presented , the way you do it shows that you planned your scene and did it quite efficiently. I like it a lot :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Your two environments are really top notch. Really like them both quite a lot.

For your cellar envio though I feel it still needs a little bit more of a splash of color. I know you added the green there but it seems to blend with all the other cool colors too much. Even the lights are a pretty cool warm color. Its a wine cellar so maybe a barrel or two that is open with some exposed grapes or something. idk I'm just thinking outloud. I see you have some spilled wine which is bringing a little red in there but I honestly didnt notice it on my first two viewings. Really like how the scene was made with just a few nicely created pieces and the mood it is giving off.

For your river scene I love how you broke up the river bank so well with the rocks and plants. Not something I see enough. Also your plants are scattered well around your environment with nice clumps here and there instead of just an even distribution all over the place.

I think it would have been better to actually have modeled out the trees yourself instead of using speed tree. I know using speed tree isnt just click click click and bam you get an amazing tree but for a portfolio piece I find it a little lame when people use it over modeling themselves. I personally prefer it to only be used in a production environment if you use speed tree there. But again this is just for me personally. Scene looks great overall and thats all that really matters.

For your texture/high poly shots on your environments. I would have liked to see maybe a rock texture mixed in there on your river scene and some textured sheets on your cellar scene instead of just a bunch of sculpts.

Anyway great looking work. Cant wait too see what you turn out next!
  • Jonsnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wish u more possitive replies and new wall of personaly thanks XD

and really wish u good job as Environment Artist brother, i'm from Slovakia ;]
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Really nice works!
    The presentation is clean and pretty.
    Only things I would like to see is the wireframe of your works. Maybe the triangle count too. :)
    Beside that, I love them! :D
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby: Thanks a lot mate!

Autocon: Thanks Anthony. I completely agree on the cellar, I have played around with levels in photoshop trying to fix the issues you've mentioned. I think that it looks much better now (colourwise), but I'm still planning on redoing my lighting setup later on just for the hell of it :poly142: I will certainly add some more props later on.

I have added some texture sheets in the cellar section as you suggested and a breakdown of props used in the riverside. I will try to post more textures later on; I will have to make some smaller rocks first to fill the empty UV space.

Jonsnow: Thanks a lot! I used to know a girl from Slovakia. It's funny how similar our languages are.

megalmn2000: Good point about the wires. Unfortunately, I don't know if there is a way to create shaded wireframe shots in UDK, but from now on I will try to add some whenever I render something in max.
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Damian, zycze ci jak najlepiej w osiagnieciu tego co chcesz, masz talent to za pewne, postaraj sie wrzucic jakas pracke z SCI-FI, powinno to wzmocnic twoje portfolio o wiele bardziej, i tez to pokaze ze potrafisz robic tez wiele roznych rzeczy. Strona jest fajna, jak myslalem w jaki sposob bym robil swoja strone to w taki sam sposob mialem swoja wizje, troche wyprzedziles mnie haha, w kazdym razie strona jest dobra, jest minimalistyczna i do punktu. Owocnej pracy.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work man :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Absolutely Inspiring, I always love your posts. Wish you the best of luck man!!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Fantastic work!

Bookmarked!

:)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Pix: Dzieki :) Masz racje na temat sci-fi; nie jestem zbyt wielkim fanem, ale postaram sie cos wydlubac w przyszlosci.

Rens: Thanks Rens!

Alberto Rdrgz: Cheers mate, thanks a lot!

JacqueChoi: Thanks mate :thumbup: I'm flattered.

I still feel like I need to push for a little bit more props; I've got that urban building I need to finish since I wan't to add a bit more variation to my folio.
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Just realized I never posted on this thread. Your use of modularity and lighting on the Medieval Cellar scene is truly inspiring. I honestly can't wait to see what you do next. Consider yourself followed...
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Your website appears to be down, a shame beccause I want to see all the epic work you've created!
  • Brohan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried to find things that I could critique, but really you've got a strong foliio, well presented and with a good range of material.

Things that stand out are:
    Your use of (well thought out) modular parts
    Well crafted textures and shaders (the blend Mat adds a good sense of uniqueness too)
    A good use of reference and making your scenes feel 'real'
    Strong lighting
    Strong modelling
    Clear and well explained through your comments

Great effort! Get that site out there and land a job :)
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great man.

However, everytime I go to the site it pops up that there was a server error because the server sent no data.
    Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

Using chrome.

If I refresh it loads though. Would be a shame for someone to miss out on it for something like that.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    same error here in firefox
  • euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    one my favorite portfolio sites to go to- I always liked your Medieval cellar piece- so nicely done- :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    it has been almost 8 months since this thread was created guys. ;)
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    The link at the top of the thread doesn't work

http://www.damianlazarski.com/
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, I totally missed all these replies so just wanted to say thanks for all the comments!

I finally gotten around to updating my folio. Added some of the work that I made over the past year, cleaned up the layout and got myself a proper host instead of using Dropbox (which was causing all these issues that others have reported).

http://damianlazarski.com/

Let me know if you spot any issues guys!
    Thanks
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Great work man! Watching you grow as an artist has been really amazing, you have some really lovely work for only being at this for such a short time.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah that's a kick ass portfolio. Lots of really well executed clean work.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Issues? hard to find any since both presentation and content kick ass. but, challenge accepted :)

-I'd add screens to to the oazis scene. not everyone has time to watch videos.

-stylized rocks. they don't look convincing imo, texture feels very metallic. also, i think hand painted texture would be more suitable for their stylized forms.

http://damianlazarski.com/images/med_cellar/breakdown_1.jpg
    walls look overexposed

-"materials" section could use info about texture resolution.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Inspiring stuff man, wish i could do environments this polished.
    It's also really cool how with the cellar you built this coherent environment that feels quite polished, with what looks like just a small amount of assets.
  • BluPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice job! great work, easy to view, no complaints. keep it up!
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Lookin sweet man! As always.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero: Thanks man! I certainly wouldn't be here if it weren't for this community.

Fomori: Thanks!

Blaisoid: That's exactly the type of crits I was looking for. Good points all around, I will try to make corrections as soon as possible. As for the rocks; yeah, it's an older piece and you are totally right. I will rework the diffuse once I get some time.

Xoliul: Thanks! I'm a huge fan of your hard surface work so I really appreciate it.

BluPanda: Cheers!

Seaseme: Thanks Tanner!