Home Technical Talk

Maya: Rendering Vertex painted meshes

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
Hey y'all.

So I'm working on a piece where I'm using layered textures to vertex paint onto a mesh. Problem is, the vertex painting is not showing up when I render it out. I don't have a ton of experience with maya's renderer or materials for that matter. So wondering if this is even the right way to go about it (as opposed to making a mask in the material instead.)

Any advice, help, lolnoob comments are welcomed :D

Replies

• BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The more I play around with it, the more I think it's the material I currently have set up that's causing it.

sZO0H.jpg

I have 3 layered textures set up to a blinn (1 for color, 1 for spec, and 1 for normal). Each one of those layered textures has 2 texture files each that I linked together in 2 UV sets. Please let me know if this is the right way to go to about it or if what I can do to fix it.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    are you rendering with maya software or with mentalray ? i remember myvertex colors not showing up with mental ray by default i had to add some node to myshader to make it show up idont recall the name though it hasbeen years !
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby wrote: »
    are you rendering with maya software or with mentalray ? i remember myvertex colors not showing up with mental ray by default i had to add some node to myshader to make it show up idont recall the name though it hasbeen years !

I'm going to have to render it either in maya software or hardware, since this is meant for game dev. The real issue I'm having now is whenever I switch over to higher resoultion the vertex color completely covers up the rest of the material when I start painting on it.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    what do you mean by switching to a higher resolution ? explain in detail please !

btw your signature links to http://www.polycount.com/forum/Hellomynameisryan.org which doesnt exist for me !
  • JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JValencia polycounter lvl 10
    Treebark? Moss?
    You could do the Naughty dog art test in unreal too! =]

I would go that route instead, especially if you want to show it in real time. Plus, VP is more flexible in unreal.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby wrote: »
    what do you mean by switching to a higher resolution ? explain in detail please !

btw your signature links to http://www.polycount.com/forum/Hellomynameisryan.org which doesnt exist for me !

Thanks for the heads up on the signature link! :D

What I meant was when I change the renderer in the viewport from default quality rendering to high quality rendering
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treebark? Moss?
    You could do the Naughty dog art test in unreal too! =]

I would go that route instead, especially if you want to show it in real time. Plus, VP is more flexible in unreal.

Too bad I have to take renders of it inside of Maya. If I could do it in Unreal, I would have gotten it done days ago in no time :P
  • JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JValencia polycounter lvl 10
    Well from what they told me, you could render out the final images in Unreal for the turntable and the beauty shots; you needed to turn in a maya file though to them will all the textures.

Good luck on it either way.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well from what they told me, you could render out the final images in Unreal for the turntable and the beauty shots; you needed to turn in a maya file though to them will all the textures.

Good luck on it either way.

That's different from what I've been told. I even asked if I could use Unreal and they said absolutely not.