Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Titan Moon Base

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatJS polycounter lvl 9
This is part of a large corporate scientific facility on the surface of Titan, a moon of Saturn. It has a very thick atmosphere, strong winds, liquid lakes, and a surface temperature of -170C, so it's not very hospitable. I'll be going for a used, slightly dirty look, but not ill-kept. Sending anybody into space is expensive, so I figure AmoralGenericTriMegaCorp™ won't be sending too many janitors.

This is my first Unreal engine scene, so I'm going to have many questions for you guys, I'm sure. Also, it's very work in progress; many of the meshes are block-outs, and some of the baked objects (like the pull-down ceiling things) have temporary bakes that will be replaced. There are no textures beyond some normal maps and AO bakes. Once I have the scene mostly textured, I'm going to build a few more functional props like computer consoles and whatnot.

tmbwip1.jpg
wip1bi.jpg

In the outdoor shot you can see the inverted half-cylinder I used for a procedural windblown dust effect; it's built so that it can scroll very quickly to the left, but with compounding masks and different pan rates so that it doesn't repeat.

Here are a few of the pieces I used:
tmbwip1pieces.jpg
Question: why is the normal map on the power box to the left so ugly? I have no problems with flat stuff like the pillar, or with stuff like the tote crate and the heating vent, so why does that particular thing have that hideous crap along the vertices? It's not a flipped green channel, I've checked for that. I've enabled the setting in lightmass that takes into account normal maps, which has eliminated some of my problems (like seams in pipes), but I'm not sure what the deal is here.

Replies

• turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Is the front of that box sharing the same smoothing groups as the side? It looks like just a smoothing error to me. Split the smoothing groups at 90 degree angles as well as the UVs.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    I have no information really to provide about UDK but just wanted to say it looks quite promising. Keep at it! :D
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Nope, it's not sharing smoothing groups with the sides. In this picture the separations between smoothing groups are cyan. I split the UVs along the smoothing groups as well. The light map UV is split along the exact same lines as the texture UV.
    wip1sg.jpg
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have a lot of smoothing errors in there. A rule of thumb, if the mesh shades strange in the viewport it will most likely shade wierd with the normalmap applied.

Keep in mind that the normalmap is based on the faces of your lowpoly mesh, if the mesh have wierd shading the normalmap will try to counter this (this is visible in the normal map in the form of gradients) and this will give you the result you have.

Try using hard edges or bevels on egdes that are very sharp in the low poly. If the lowpoly shades nicely the normal map will work as intended. I made a paintover, some of these edges can probably be smooth but just to give you an id
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the advice, turpedo and waldo. I'm used to the way marmoset handles normal maps, which is apparently a lot more forgiving! I did some fiddling with it and I've got it looking the way it's supposed to.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    As stated already this is in the early stages but I think it looks promising. Will be looking out for it.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    one comment with that kind of model is that it might be less polys to use intersecting boxes rather than making everything out of one contiguous mesh.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    Your blockout and lighting are already looking good, nice atmophere. If you want some info on UDK check out Chris Albeluhn's tutorials on his site.

Nice work :).
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Needs more imps.

But I like it a lot so far; really calls back to Doom3, which is quite a good thing. One thing, though - perhaps make it darker and rely more on artificial lighting for some mood. But that is just taste, I suppose!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Really nice! Looking forward to see where you take this!

One thing that needs major work is your smoothing groups. Everything looks so round and low poly! You can try to add support edges here and there to make the edges look chamfered. That will also help a lot when you texture this scene. Specular maps look pretty good when you have your mesh in one smoothing group and add support edges on 90º angles. That will always look better than setting different Smoothing Groups on 90º angles!
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the advice and comments guys, especially the link to Chris Albeluhn's site.

Joopsen: Doom 3 is definitely an influence for me. I'm don't think I want to make this as dark as that game though. I do want nice shadows though, so I'll be playing around with the lighting for sure.

Minotaur0: Thanks for the advice! Pretty much everything you see which has that low poly look is a stand-in object that hasn't had any work done on it yet. Those specular edges are super important, I agree.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    High poly Bigmachine! I'm not ready to say it's done, because I'm probably going to change some stuff around on the base, add a few smaller screws and fasteners, maybe add some more stuff to the back.
    wipbigmachinehipoly.jpg
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's some lovely hard surface modelling as always :) you never fail to please
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Great modeling on the big machine prop, you really put alot of detail into those panel sections
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    thanks Ihazard, ajr2764!

I've done more work on both air vent types, the big machines, some of the walls, and the large pipe terminators on the ceiling.
    I also have more questions!
    1) My trim meshes on the second floor have hideous edges which go to black. Why is this? The lightmap UVs aren't wrapping, and there's no overlap. I've messed around with the lightmap resolution and that hasn't helped either.
    2) Why is the light map so ugly on the walls opposite the big machines, on the first floor? They looked fine before I added normal maps, but now they have obvious stair step striations. The lightmap resolution hasn't changed at all.
    tmpwip2.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    looking good man keep it up!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    ohhhh! looking pretty!
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    It's been slow going due to a hectic schedule, but I finally got some more work done! I did the doors, ceiling, and I replaced those crappy pull-down ceiling panels with better ones. I'm going to start texturing stuff I think, and then I'm going to redo the lighting, especially near the doors.
    wip2qf.jpg
    Since they aren't lit very well in the above shots, here's the hipoly:
    wip2doorhipoly.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    so freaking awesome ... just wondering about ur workflow do u build the highpoly first and then lowpoly?
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    that si pretty cool base u've got!
    The mesh modules are definitely great looking.

My only concern were lighting colors. The blue-orange interior lighting looks beautiful but there is no lamps to explain this kind of colors. There is also a slight mismatch between exterior colors and light hitting the floor from windows. The sky is kinda yellow while the light on the flor is quite white.
    In any case the ambient/bounced light inside would be yellowish/pale orange only.
    But since your current interior lighting is so cool u could just add blue and orange lamps to justify it ;)

Keep it up, great work so far :)
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Jungsik: I blocked the whole thing out with temporary meshes first, but after that it's high poly then low poly. I usually keep a copy of the high when it's really early in development as a base mesh for the low though. With curvier objects this wouldn't necessarily be the best option, but I've picked a very blocky look for this base so it works pretty well. I also make sure that the majority of my cylinders have the number of sides I want them to have in the low poly model so I can just remove edgeloops from bends in the high poly pipes and use them in the low poly.

Matroskin: Man I keep forgetting to make lights for some reason. The orange and blue lighting was originally just to give the otherwise monochrome base some character, and I'm now kind of torn because I want to keep it but it could look terrible once I texture this thing. Also, good point with the window lighting. I set it before I had a skydome built and forgot about it.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for that fast reply ! was just wondering you workflow - you just seem to work really efficiently ^^ - also im very fond of your iron cast building :D
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    This looks cool dude. I think since the lighting really defines the mood already, and rather effectively. I would do some mirror's edge sort of texture work; some really focused areas of interest, but leave the rest sort of something similar to as it is.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Got the color blocked out on the Bigmachine™. There's no grime or spec maps yet; I just ran the diffuse through the specular channel.
    wip2bigmachine2.jpg
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    this is sexy, great job so far
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    inhospitable? it's one of the best candidates in this system to support life :S
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    well when I said inhospitable I meant relatively compared to earth for people. c.f. venus or io or something it's definitely nice.

edit: lol my normals were inverted in the last picture how did I not notice?! fixed
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry, you're a total geek, always posting about realisticness and all that boring stuff hahaha !
  • Jonsnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very impressive!
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work here!
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys!

I'm pretty much done with a first pass of this prop. I'm not sure it's dirty enough, but it's an indoor prop so it really shouldn't get that bad, I don't think. Once I've figured out the optimal level of grime for the whole level I'm going to come back to this. I'm also not sure if I want to keep the iridescence in the feed pipe.
    wip2bigmachine3.jpg
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should try to work more on your specular map to suggest wear, as well as add some paint chipping on edges. You can also try to suggest dust accumulation on your equipment (with finger marks and stuff to suggest aging). Desaturating some parts of your red panels could also work to imply age. I think you should abandon that shiny look on that pipe, it's gonna be distracting.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Judging by their placement in the full scene, I dint think they would get too worn or scratched, but I think they could use some oxidized paint, grease runs and dust/dirt. Looking really nice so far
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    PatJS wrote: »
    well when I said inhospitable I meant relatively compared to earth for people. c.f. venus or io or something it's definitely nice.

:D
    Urbanmelon wrote: »
    Harry, you're a total geek, always posting about realisticness and all that boring stuff hahaha !

i'm sorry that it upsets you enough to post about it. Im sure if something's made out of metal you make a picture of it made of metal. Same idea but a bit more thorough.
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Ahhh orange and blue!:poly142:

A bit of an overused color scheme there. But otherwise keep it coming!
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Grimed it up some more!
    wip2bigmachine4.jpg

Urbanmelon: it definitely needed more work on the grime and specular. I'm not going to put fingerprint sized details on it though, because it's like 20 feet tall and it's using two 512 maps, so there isn't enough pixel density for that type of thing.
    ENODMI:Thanks for the advice!
    Harry: I'm actually a pretty big space geek too, tbqh
    locater16: The orange and blue lighting was temporary since my scene has no color yet. Since I've started texturing architectural details, as well as the big machine, it's completely fallen apart.
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really shaping up. Love it, keep plugging away.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    i'm sorry that it upsets you enough to post about it. Im sure if something's made out of metal you make a picture of it made of metal. Same idea but a bit more thorough.

Harry, I didn't mean to upset you, I was just kidding ! :poly122: You comment reminded me of a friend I have who thinks about every single detail. One time I was drawing a mecha, and he was telling me that without toes, my robot's agility would be limited in a combat situation. I just thought it was funny, so I apologize if any harm was done.

Anyways, great job Pat, your machine looks great. What's gonna be your lighting/color scheme ? I imagine it's gonna be on the warm side ?
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Urbanmelon wrote: »
    Harry, I didn't mean to upset you, I was just kidding ! :poly122: You comment reminded me of a friend I have who thinks about every single detail. One time I was drawing a mecha, and he was telling me that without toes, my robot's agility would be limited in a combat situation.

I'm used to people saying stuff like that man, so i gave a canned answer to a canned comment :D
    It really will help in creating original ideas if you focus on details though.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Started work on texturing.
    wip3texturing.jpg
    I think I'm going to redo the bottom of the bent window pieces; They are kind of lazy and not very interesting.

I'm having serious lightmap issues with several meshes, which I didn't have until I started using lightmass. Here's a screenshot with only lighting information. Why is it so blocky and terrible? There are no problems on any BSP surfaces (in this shot, that's the grate floor and the sections between bent windows in the back).
    wip3wtf.jpg
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man, I love this, so nice, so crispy.

As for the shadow issues, have you set a separate UVW channel with a non overlapping unwrap for UDK to bake shadows onto? and have you set the resolution of said UV high enough? You can do all this in the mesh settings properties window thingamajigger. Been a while since I was in UDK but I THINK that's how you do it, good luck further on. This place looks as cozy as a cabin :)
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    I definitely have nonoverlapping lightmap UVs on all static meshes, so that's not the problem.
    here's another shot of it being cozy.

wip3more.jpg
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing stuff dude and not sure what it could be if isn't the resolution assigned to the lightmap uvs :S maybe light bounce settings in lightmass? No idea how I'd even start fiddling with those settings though.

In any case, saving this thread and some of the pics so far to the inspiration folder, keep up the great work :)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Great job on the textures! But the lighting needs more work. Try adding more light sources; preferably blue lights. It'll widen your color pallet.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you sure your lightmap resolution is high enough ? That's what your blocky shadows made me think about first.

Check in the Static Mesh Editor :
    Go in the Content Browser, and double click on your static mesh.
    Lightmap_01.jpg

Also check in the StaticMeshActor Properties to see if the override is activated and bypasses any settings you made (it should be off by default) :

In your scene, double-click on your mesh, or select it and press F4.
    Lightmap_02.jpg

I think a 128x128 lightmap should be high enough, but if that doesn't work, try bumping it waaayyy up (like 1024) to see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't work, take your mesh, put it in another place in your scene (like in the middle of the room, facing the sun), run Lightmass, and see if it makes a difference.
    If it does, that means your mesh is just in a place where Lightmass' default settings just don't cut it and you're gonna have to tweak them...

If none of that works, try generating automatic UV's from UDK (in the Static Mesh Editor). It's not recommended, and I doubt that's your problem, but
    crazy.jpg
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    The blockyness is the DXT compression on the lightmaps. Upping the resolution on everything should fix it.

You've got some nice modeling there. I like that you've got some colour on the machines. I'd splash a bit more around as there's too many grey environments in games already ;)
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    roosterMap: You are right, I definitely need to do more work on the lighting. I'm not going to do much more work on it until all of the untextured objects have at least rudimentary texturing though, since it will make such a huge difference in how the scene looks.

Urbanmelon, sprunghunt: Thanks so much for your help guys. The problem was definitely lightmap resolution. I ended up cranking it up to 128 from 64. I guess I was just surprised at how blocky and bad it looked, but after seeing epic's maps I guess that's just how the unreal lights stuff. It's definitely less noticable with textured objects.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo, it was that, great that it was easily solvable :) Crank dat shit up to 256 and give us another cozy render asap :D
    Loving this thread and sharing it, would love to get a rundown on how you baked that red machine by the way, if you have time :)
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    I got some more work done texturing stuff. I textured the pillars and various trim, the pull-down ceiling things, the large pipe terminators, and a few other odds and ends. I also completely redid the walls on the first floor, because they were ugly. You can still see the top portion of these on other areas of the upper walls, but I plan on removing them entirely. Now that I have more of this textured, I am going to make light fixtures since they will have a pretty strong effect on the look of the level. Then I'm going to texture the rest, and fix the lighting so it's not so boring.
    wip4texturing.jpg

I managed to solve the weird problem with some of my trim going to black on one side by fixing some wrapping lightmap UVs, but it doesn't seem to have worked on all of them, and I'm not sure why. Specifically, I'm talking about the dark trim pieces above my new wall.

Here's a look at the level sans lighting to give you an idea of what's going on with the diffuse colors. anything which is 50% gray is untextured. Also the pipes are just colored, they're not textured either.
    wip4diffuseunlit.jpg

Skamberin: I don't think I did anything special to bake it. Here's a view of the intact fully mirrored mesh, the exploded baking mesh (with mirrored bits cut out) and the uvs over the diffuse. It's split into two objects, each of which has a 512x512 texture. It's pretty simple so I just threw it into topogun, set the cage distance and hit bake.

wip4bakeexplain.jpg

Note that it looks kind of crap in the map because I haven't messed with the specular values to suit UDK, and because i haven't fixed the lightmap UVs yet so there's a little bleeding here and there.
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Great looking stuff! I kinda hate you... I suck at sci fi and you make it look so easy :)
    Only thing i can comment on is I see no way of getting down to that lower platform.
    Maybe add a ladder or something? Keep up the great work!