Home Technical Talk

[Maya] - Get twists when i use the "flow path object"

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
Hi guys !

I have a weird problem with the "flow path object" within maya.

So basically, I create a curve :

FlowPathCurve.jpg

After that, i use the "flow path object" (on a cylinder for the example) and get all these twists ...

FlowPathCylinder.jpg

I tried "rebuild curve", "smooth curve" etc but nothing seems to solve this problem ... Do you have any idea of what I did wrong?

By the way, I have no problem at all if I use; let say a plane, and extrude it along that same curve.

Replies

• rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.digitaltutors.com/forum/showthread.php?4567-Flow-path-twist-problem

( Gist : Go to the MotionPath Attributes, Change World-Up Type to Vector : 1.0 0.0 0.0 )
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Still get weird twists sometimes by just changing the Vector, but often enough you can just find the right one for a given situation.
    Changing the World-Up Type can help depending on the setup as well, stills feels inevitable that you'll get a twist sometimes on complex paths, more so than with 3dsMax's path deform modifier.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Oh thanks rebb, it fixes some problem, but it's still not perfect.
    Besides, the Wire tool is just what I was looking for (Bal told me you talked about this tool yesterday).

Thanks
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I found this same issue when I tried the flowpath tool. As far as I remember there is a limitation of that tool that it only works on horizontal curves, nothing can be vertical. Try your same test on a curve drawn in the top view. I gave up on that crappy tool because of that limitation and went with the wire tool but it wasn't that great either because it stretches the geo it's attached to.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    While on the subject, is there some kind of twist data stored for a curve? Would rebuilding the curve be a solution for this?
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Not tried this yet myself, but how about making your own ghetto flowpath by using a wire deformer on a lattice (aka FFD) which in turn is applied to your geo?
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    @ malcolm : Yeah it stretches the geo but I don't consider it as a problem, you can't have no deformations if your object is following a curve.

@ kodde : I tried the rebuild curve but it doesn't clean it up :( If there is a twist data stored it could be cool but I don't know if it exists somewhere.

@ CheeseOnToast : Oh yeah that could be an idea! With this you can just untwist the bad areas by rotating lattice's points.