Home Technical Talk

Blend Shape Animation UV Problem

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
I think I just screwed myself over. I've never done blend shapes up until this project, and I UV Mapped and Textured AFTER I did the animation... which results in the image attached. The UV"s are blending into the shape...

Is there a way to disconnect the UV's blending into the other shape? I saw this on the digital tutors forum, but am not sure it's going to work in my case:
export your weight skin maps so you dont loose all your bind work, then delete all the history from the mesh, then rebind it, and last, re import all your weight maps.

In my case, I can't delete the history because I have several bends and other crap involved. If that would work, could I just open up the Hypergraph and delete what I need to?

Is there a way to transfer my UV Map job onto the blend shape? Only my main mesh is mapped...

Talk about causing myself a headache :(

EDIT: I see that I can use Mesh -> Transfter Mesh Attributes to try and transfer the UV mapping, but so far it hasn't worked. Something about cycles. It stopped complaining about cycles when I found the Orig and unchecked "intermediate object," but it didn't do anything for me. Yar.

Replies

• mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Got it working. Holy smokes, I can't believe what I did just worked. Definitely in foreign territory when it comes to all this new fangled blend shape transfering mesh attributes stuff.

Anyway, for people who stumble upon this:

In your modelNameShapeOrig node, uncheck "Intermediate Object" on all your blend shapes (not the base mesh). Do this for all your blends.

Then select your base mesh, then the shape you want to blend to and do Polygon Panel -> Mesh -> Transfer Mesh Attributes. Again, if you have more than blend, do that for all of them. I only cared about the UV's coming over, and that was the default. Since I had the exact same mesh, I was able to choose "Component." See Maya doc's for more about what each option does. Double check the UV Map for each one so that you know it transfered okay. Also, if you're having problems, make sure the shape you want to blend to has UV's already mapped to it. Then, after that, you have to Animation panel -> Edit Deformers -> Blend Shape -> Remove blendshape all your blends. Select them all again and reblend.

I think I may have done a little something out of order, or thrown in a useless step or two, but that's what I did. I'm getting "Warning: Cycle on 'blendshape3.outputGeometry[0]' may not be evaluate as expected", but it blends well under one blend bar. For some reason it only goes up to .4 before stopping, but I can rekey this and finish his project.