Home General Discussion

In need of some financial/workshop advice

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I just came back from the unemployment offices in CT and I qualified for a chance to receive a job training grant. All I have to do is go to a 1 hour orientation and then meet with a career advisor. There's a possibility that I could receive between $3000 and $5000 for job training.
So I'm asking my fellow polycounters what I should spend that money on. there are several online workshops that have caught my interest.
The Rydan Workshop
Future Poly online course
zbrushworkshops.com
there's also Trinity College, University of Connecticut, and the University of Hartford.
when I meet with my career advisor I'll probably have to make a case for any job training that I want.

So what do you guys think?

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Send it all to me. I'll teach you everything you need.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    Pedro will teach you to use the Florence Nightingale effect to get laid

or I could just fly to Nevada and by a hooker and still have $1000 left.

But seriously.....
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    You, sir, pay too much for your hookers.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav wrote: »
    You, sir, pay too much for your hookers.

it's about quality :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    kaze369 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just came back from the unemployment offices in CT and I qualified for a chance to receive a job training grant. All I have to do is go to a 1 hour orientation and then meet with a career advisor. There's a possibility that I could receive between $3000 and $5000 for job training.
    So I'm asking my fellow polycounters what I should spend that money on. there are several online workshops that have caught my interest.
    The Rydan Workshop
    Future Poly online course
    zbrushworkshops.com
    there's also Trinity College, University of Connecticut, and the University of Hartford.
    when I meet with my career advisor I'll probably have to make a case for any job training that I want.

So what do you guys think?

well since you are interested in CG why not take online courses in it as you have stated your interest in your post.

I'd strongly suggest you should go through the orientation before you makeup your mind about something you really want to do.

If that passes through, join any online tutorial websites such as DT or E3D etc or go to college for cg studies to develop a firm cg network. Based on the observation of many people claiming that cg studies at college were balls but they managed to make good links out of it, I assume that is why ppl go to college. <.<

EDIT: Sometimes after looking some demos of UOIT game dev degree I nearly feel crave to transfer my courses to it even if I have to lose a year or 2.

The rest of the times I feel that cg or game dev doesnt actually require official learning since it was found based on the experiments and all.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I'd vote for Future Poly. The instructors over there seem pretty great, and stoofoo's demo class that he held for free a while ago was pretty damn awesome. I'm attending Gnomon but for the best bang for buck I would go for FP. Gnomon has some cool master classes coming up which I think are fairly inexpensive and features some cool instructors, might want to take a look there too.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    kaze369 wrote: »

There has to be some sort of specific requirements tied to that. No way they would give you that to take an online course. Maybe I'm on crack but if it sounds too good...
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun wrote: »
    There has to be some sort of specific requirements tied to that. No way they would give you that to take an online course. Maybe I'm on crack but if it sounds too good...

Even if I can't take online courses I should be able to take classes at the local Universities and colleges.
  • TheRydanWorkshop
    Hey kaze369

I'd say first and foremost, do your research. Know what skills you looking for and which school provides your best shot in achieving your goals. Who are the instructors? Do they have industry experience? Do they have teaching experience? Is there a class breakdown of what you are going to learn and are the objectives clear for the course? Each school no matter if online or physical schools have their strengths and weaknesses. You won't hear any weaknesses from their advisors, but you're gonna have to read between the lines and compare to the competion.

Speaking as an representative from the Rydan Workshop, we are offering LIVE classes/lectures with a small class sizes (15 or less). You can watch the Instructor giving the lecture and demos while being able to ask him questions directly. You would get crits live in person with the instructor. By chance if he/she is not be able to get around to you, you would still be able to get critique via email or forum or by the next class latest. If you miss a class, it will be recorded and you can watch them later again or just watch them to refresh your mind about the lectures.

I am gonna make here a shameless plug and invite you and anybody interested on Sunday the 30th to our open house. Just send us a email at info@therydanworkshop.com to get closer details and a invitation link for the sunday meeting. There you will be able to ask instructors and admins questions and see for yourself our online environment.

Good luck on with your decision and let me know if there's any way I can help.