Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Greevar's WIPs

greevar
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
greevar polycounter lvl 6
I thought I'd update this to help point out the amount of improvement I gained through the guidance of the folks here with a before and after comparison:

Before:

woodbarrelrender2.png

After:

woodbarrelrender7.png

Original Post:

Ok, here is my latest work. Looking for c&c.

woodbarrelrender2.png

It has normal, spec and diffuse. I don't think the lighting does it justice, but I'm better at environment lighting than beauty shots.

Diffuse:
woodbarreldiff.png

Spec:
woodbarrelspec.png
Normal:
woodbarrelnorm.png

Finally, the UV map:

woodbarreluv.png

A wood pallet, diffuse only:

palletwoodrender.png

Replies

• Treacharous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have never seen a wood pallet in that good of condition, the only thing i could suggest is roughing it up a bit.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have never seen a wood pallet in that good of condition, the only thing i could suggest is roughing it up a bit.

Yeah, it's missing dents, splits, and other damage. I was thinking that myself.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Why make a 1024x1024 for such a small asset and then go along and copy-paste the same texture over it 4 times...? That makes no sense :s
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Kind of a waste to do a normal map for just surface texture. Consider doing high poly normals for it as well.

Also sections of the texture map are repeated, you could stack UV islands over these parts instead of repeating them and scale up your UVs to get more texel resolution.

Texture wise you could be more subtle with your brush work. You've applied "rust" and scratches rather liberally all over the metal. Think of instead where dirt and moisture would collect. Also consider how run off from the metal would effect the wood.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    Why make a 1024x1024 for such a small asset and then go along and copy-paste the same texture over it 4 times...? That makes no sense :s

Good point.

Esprite:

"Kind of a waste to do a normal map for just surface texture. Consider doing high poly normals for it as well."

You mean to say I should sculpt it in high poly to get surface texture and depth?

I like what you're thinking about using the scratches more economically. I'll try that.

"Also consider how run off from the metal would effect the wood."

Yeah, I was trying to think of how to make that work with floating geometry. I'm not entirely certain where the effect would appear or should I just ball park it and add it to the whole region?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Ok.

First things first.

The model isn't bad. It's definitely passable for a game.
    What you'll need to do is duplicate it, and then go ahead and model a completely high rez version of it.

Not a Zbrush sculpt.

Model each plank of wood, model each sheet of metal that holds it together. Model them individually and then bevel the edges. then bevel the bevels.

Then model in the tiny rivets/nails that would hold the metal in place.

Then meshsmooth the entire thing 2 or 3 times.

Use that High rez to generate your Normal Map, and Ambient Occlusion.
    Use your normal map to generate your curvature map.

Then proceed to give it the surface treatment you've already started with.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Ok.

First things first.

What you'll need to do is duplicate it, and then go ahead and model a completely high rez version of it.

Not a Zbrush sculpt.

Model each plank of wood, model each sheet of metal that holds it together. Model them individually and then bevel the edges. then bevel the bevels.

Curvature map? I'm working in Blender, so I'm not familiar with your terminology.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Arshlevon created a pretty good write-up about how to generate a curvature map from your normal map through xNormal:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52183
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Watch out on the texture with the amount of repeating details you use in the diffuse. If you are going to uniquely map a model its a complete waste of resolution to have copied over details.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Ok.

First things first.

Not a Zbrush sculpt.

This is great advice
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You could get that palette down to 2-3 planks of wood on your diffuse that then duplicated a bunch and rotated for variance. Mr. Choi's advice on this is sage. Follow it.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    @ JacqueChoi, when you say curvature map, do you mean cavity map? In that thread, arsh goes over cavity map generation, just trying to make sure I have everything clear.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Yup.

"Cavity map" is the primarily white map that has black lines that fill in the crevisses.

The "Edge Enhancement Map" (Not sure what the real name for this would be) is the primarily black map that has the white lines that highlight the corners and bevels.

Both of those textures are derived from that 'Curvature Map' (that grey map with both the cavity and edge information that's derrived from the normal map).
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, you're talking about a displacement map?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Also, rotate the braces on the barrel - the rust on the top two are identical - it is in the exact same spots on the metal.
    In fact, the metal overall looks too uniformly noisy. Like the "clouds" filter in photoshop, sort of.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    no not a displacement map. using a curvature map, cavity map, etc. is to enhance parts of your texturing to 1)give you a good starting place for texturing, and 2) to help make some parts really pop. this can be used in your diffuse, spec, gloss, toothpaste, etc.

XNormal has a photoshop plugin that loads during install that works very well and very fast.

Here's a little rundown on how it all goes.

1) generate your normal map to match the engine you will be using it for. If you are working in layers, make sure that it is all flattened before proceeding to step 2.
    cavity_overlay0.jpg

2)
    cavity_overlay1.jpg

3) adjust any setting necessary and hit "update" to see preview results.
    cavity_overlay2.jpg

4) select everything, and copy the result into your clipboard
    cavity_overlay3.jpg

5) open up your diffuse, lay down some basic color to start
    cavity_overlay4.jpg

6)paste in your cavity map result and viola! adjust levels, start masking, colorizing, etc.
    don't just paste it in and call it a day.

cavity_overlay5.jpg

try different things out of the plugin from XNormal. there's a bunch of different settings and effects you can achieve that can aid you in your texturing process.

again, use this as a starting point. i swear to bobo if i see some damn hack job copypaste adultry with no effort involved, i'll smack your momma.

ignore the 2nd grader hand writing. i asked my toddler to write this for me because i was too lazy... that and i had too much coffee over the past 15 years.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That clears everything up. Great explanation! I also have the xNormal plugin, so that makes it even easier.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the high poly barrel I'm going to bake:

highbarrel.png

But I think I'll remap my UVs better before I do that.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Keep in mind the reality behind the model, or else it won't be believable. The metal braces should have bolts, or rivets, or whatever. The metal ring isn't a solid cast ring, it is a long piece that was bent and hammered into place, and riveted to form a ring. It should show that.

Whole%20Wine%20Barrel%20%282%29.gif

So, don't just rush through your high-poly because it bores you, or whatever. Do it, or don't.
    And not doing a high-poly is not really an option.

Also, maybe model some of the larger cracks in the wood, and such. Also, assuming this barrel is meant to hold liquid, it also needs a bunghole (don't laugh.) This is a hole in the wood that is corked after being filled up with liquid. It can be on the top, or the body of the barrel.
    Small things like this can make or break a model - be sure to get plenty of reference, even for something you think you know, such as a barrel or a crate.
    It will help in the end.

I mentioned it because I care, haha. But seriously, this isn't bad at all so far - it just needs to be taken further.

Edit: Had to change the image, but this one shows the same thing. The other one did the ol' switcheroo with a "THIS IS COPYRIGHTED, BITCH" image. Polozad laughed at me. I feel defeated. Anyway, yes, carry on.
  • polozad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polozad polycounter lvl 9
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    Keep in mind the reality behind the model, or else it won't be believable. The metal braces should have bolts, or rivets, or whatever. The metal ring isn't a solid cast ring, it is a long piece that was bent and hammered into place, and riveted to form a ring. It should show that.

Whole%20Wine%20Barrel%20%282%29.gif

So, don't just rush through your high-poly because it bores you, or whatever. Do it, or don't.
    And not doing a high-poly is not really an option.

Also, maybe model some of the larger cracks in the wood, and such. Also, assuming this barrel is meant to hold liquid, it also needs a bunghole (don't laugh.) This is a hole in the wood that is corked after being filled up with liquid. It can be on the top, or the body of the barrel.
    Small things like this can make or break a model - be sure to get plenty of reference, even for something you think you know, such as a barrel or a crate.
    It will help in the end.

I mentioned it because I care, haha. But seriously, this isn't bad at all so far - it just needs to be taken further.

Edit: Had to change the image, but this one shows the same thing. The other one did the ol' switcheroo with a "THIS IS COPYRIGHTED, BITCH" image. Polozad laughed at me. I feel defeated. Anyway, yes, carry on.

Actually, I've seen the type of barrel which a smith will actually place solid bands on the barrel while they're still hot. That's the style I was going for.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I seem to have run into a snafu. The floating rings are making my normal map look terrible when I bake it. I may have to do each of them separately and then paste them together after the fact.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar wrote: »
    I seem to have run into a snafu. The floating rings are making my normal map look terrible when I bake it. I may have to do each of them separately and then paste them together after the fact.

please post the problem you are experiencing. whatever is happening, copy and pasting and creating multiple passes for multiple individual pieces of geo is one of the most unproductive things you can do in the baking process.

what do you mean by terrible.... gotta post teh images of teh problem so people can help.

it's the equivalent of someone starting a topic in TechTalk with a title "I Have a Maya issue" and they say "i can't use the keyboard functions anymore, what's wrong?"
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting this:

barrelnormtemp.png
    I can also see that my high poly isn't translating well with my low poly. I may have to do another high poly instead.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    It could be a few problems...

It looks like you're overlapping your UVs. All overlapping UVs should be translated -1 (or something).

BTW, in the low rez, you have a choice to do 1 of 2 things...

Create an Air-tight low poly mesh (which is more desireable, but more work).

Or separate the metal bands from the wooden planks in the high and low rez, and bake them separately (combine them in photoshop).

Oh, remember to keep everything on ONE smoothing group when you bake normal maps. The low rez should have no hard edges in the model.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

sorry, you don't know what you're talking about. Coopers (the profession) made barrels for centuries without rivets, screws, or bolts. just clever placement of solid metal rings which WERE made out of one piece.

sure, MODERN barrels have rivets (only in some rings). but overall the process is largely unchanged as the old methods still work very well.

so telling someone that they HAVE to put x or y onto their artwork for the sake of "realism" really holds no water when that realism is based on incorrect information.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in addition to JC's comments, I would recommend working with a cage to make sure everything translates to the map. Also modify the cage to get rid of the wavy lines... see here.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap?highlight=%28\bCategoryTexturing\b%29#Solving_Wavy_Lines
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    sorry, you don't know what you're talking about. Coopers (the profession) made barrels for centuries without rivets, screws, or bolts. just clever placement of solid metal rings which WERE made out of one piece.

sure, MODERN barrels have rivets (only in some rings). but overall the process is largely unchanged as the old methods still work very well.

so telling someone that they HAVE to put x or y onto their artwork for the sake of "realism" really holds no water when that realism is based on incorrect information.

Ok, my mistake - I had never seen a barrel without rivets; and to me, the rivets add more character and interest to the model. But since I am wrong, you can feel free to ignore me.
    So please continue.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    sorry, didn't mean to be an ass. well, i guess i did at the time. but it's just cos i'm pissed that my pc barely runs IE at the moment, so i'm like... desperate to work on something =[

anywho, i get your point and that's cool. but i dislike people citing realism without factual basis.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you baking your normal maps with?
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you baking your normal maps with?

Blender 2.56 Beta

I've been tweaking the it in Blender as much as I can and this is the best I can get:
    barrelnormalstemplate01.png

It doesn't look all the bad in render, but I think I'll need to tweak it in Photoshop.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    sorry, didn't mean to be an ass.

No need to apologize - I should have been more thorough in my research before criticizing him. An eye for an eye, so to speak!
    It's the internet - we need not take it so seriously.

Also, note to Greevar - can we see the UVs? I would be interested in seeing how this is laid out, in a clearer way than just seeing the texture. Thanks!
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No need to apologize - I should have been more thorough in my research before criticizing him. An eye for an eye, so to speak!
    It's the internet - we need not take it so seriously.

Also, note to Greevar - can we see the UVs? I would be interested in seeing how this is laid out, in a clearer way than just seeing the texture. Thanks!

woodbarreluv.png

I did an all new UV map after I made the barrel and bands into an integrated mesh.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a render of the barrel with the normals applied:

barrelrendernormals.png
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Something seems off with the normal map - it doesn't read so well. The normal map itself, colour-wise, looks odd to me, as well. Is it object-space or tangent-space? The high-poly looks markedly better - which it shouldn't. I'm afraid I can't offer much more assistance than just saying so - I have no experience with blender. I would, though, add a bit of a rim to it. In the high-poly, the planks come noticeably up above the top of the barrel. In the low-poly it doesn't. I'm sure that caused some baking issues.
    Wish I could help more.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Joopson that the low poly with the normal maps looks off. The central area of the barrel doesn't read as planks of wood in a round shape. This is just a suggestion, but perhaps the low poly shouldn't have those rings around. Use those polys to round out the shape and let the normal map take care of the rings.
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    I'd get rid of the metal band geometry. Looking at the original high-poly, those metal bands don't add much to the silhouette, so you could just bake those metal bands onto the low-poly.

Looking at your normal maps and this, I'm guessing it could be a smoothing issue. You seem to have smoothing enabled for the metal bands but not for the body of the barrel.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found a way to make the normal map render more smoothly. I took the rings out of the barrel completely. I took the low poly barrel and subdivided it along with the UV map. Then I baked the high poly barrel to the mid poly and cleaned it up.

Here's the result on the low poly mesh:

barrellowbaked.png

I think it turned out well don't you?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would double the amount of sides on the cylinder, right now its looking very jagged.

The detail inbetween your planks is too fine now and getting lost in the normals, you should edit your HP so those planks have softer edges, so it transfers over. Its very important to model your high for your low, and what I mean when I say this is, to model your details so that they will read well at the intended size of the end result model, and at the intended texture resolution. Right now the plank detail would only be noticed when you zoom in on the highpoly model, its barely there on the lowpoly model, and would disappear completely with mip mapping when viewed ingame.

Its good that you took the metal bits out of the low, they add a LOT of geometry and will only make a mess of things when you're doing your first bakes, on top of that they only represent a small hieght difference, so its not really essential to model them in, as they wouldn't be noticed in most situations. Extra sides on the mesh to give more roundness will be noticed however.

Be carefull with silly workflows where you use a "middle" mesh, as changing your mesh normals after you bake is never a good idea, it will almost always result in smoothing errors. A better solution in this case is again, just to use double the sides on the asset(24?), this will make any "wavyness" in the result minor enough not to be noticeable/problematic.

I always like to caution against any workflows that require editing after the bake, when you get to more complex assets you *will not be able to do this* so its a bad habit to rely on, better to study and understand why you get problems, and then fix them with your final geometry, than do stuff like this.

Here is another barrel thread that I talk about some of the same points, but a bit more indepth with some example shots: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79443

A thread on wavyness/a couple general baking issues: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72713

One of the reasons your previews bakes were so bad, was that those metal bits were separate meshes intersecting the main mesh. When you have intersecting meshes you will want to keyframe both the low and high elements, and move them apart to bake. This will avoid errors as the rays from the different elements intersect when projecting the normal.

In most cases, you simply wouldn't model it this way, it would all be connected and a nice solid seamless mesh, but its important to understand the intersecting issue as you will need to learn how to do "exploded" bakes for more complex assets.

It looks like you have some smoothing errors on the top/bottom of the mesh, this is most likely caused by changing the mesh normals after baking, however these sort of "caps" can be problematic when baking unless your baker and renderer is properly sync'd up(which most arent, wont go into that here tho).

What you want to do is separate the top and bottom caps onto different smoothing groups. Make sure your uv are also separated there as well, which they should be with any conventional layout. You always need to have your uvs separated where you have hard edges/smoothing groups, or else you will get artifacts in your bakes.

Make sure you're using the "cage" method(default in max) and not "use offset" as the cage is averaged, where the "offset" method is not, which means it is bad for any meshes that have hard edges/smoothing errors, as you'll miss details on the edges of those hard edges.

There, hopefully that helps, that covers most of the basic problems people run into with normal maps, it takes some people years to learn all of this on their own, so hopefully you can soak it in.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here is my latest bake:

woodbarrelrender.png

I don't know what to do at this point. Every bake seems to have some kind of imperfection. Maybe it's time to call it good enough and move on to texturing?
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    One thing I have noticed when baking cylindrical objects are that they require 2 bakes and then a combine in order to get a good normal map. One thing that seems wrong in that pic is the intensity, you can barely make out the height difference between the side planks and the metal ring. I'm not sure how baking works in blender, but I guess its a matter of doing 2 bakes and combining them in order to fix the problems.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Planks look better, roundness looks better too. You're getting there, don't give up on it, learning how to do a quality bake is very important, and this is a good simple asset to hammer away on. When you get onto more complex stuff you'll be happy you went through the entire process with this.

It now looks like your metal rings are too hard edged, go in and add a nice big fat bevel to these(on the high), that should fix the errors there. Aside from this and the smoothing errors on the top, its looking much better actually.

Now, it looks like you have some smoothing errors at the top, what I would do here, is make sure these 2 rows of quads(the inner > shape) are one 1 smoothing group, the top cap is on one smoothing group, and the sides of the barrel are on one smoothing group. Also make sure your uvs are split accordingly too, to avoid errors. This should help with those smoothing issues.

It looks like you're previewing via renders? I would look into a nice viewport shader. If you follow the link 3ps my link in my thread you can find our shader, which we have a free version of, that has a shit ton of features, and has a mode to render normals very accurately.

Xoulio's shader is also very good and a lot of people like it, just so you dont think i'm trying to pimp our shit shamelessly here. I think with the latest version of max it has the normals fix too.

When you finally get the bake sorted and looking good, you should throw RGB colors onto your highpoly, so you can bake a diffuse map and easily split the channels to create masks for the different material types.

Edit: Oh I keep saying max but I see you're using blender, well the same advice should be applicable, tho I'm not sure exactly how blender's renderer works, and I doubt it has properly sync'd up normals.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    One thing I have noticed when baking cylindrical objects are that they require 2 bakes and then a combine in order to get a good normal map. One thing that seems wrong in that pic is the intensity, you can barely make out the height difference between the side planks and the metal ring. I'm not sure how baking works in blender, but I guess its a matter of doing 2 bakes and combining them in order to fix the problems.

Like I wrote about on my last post, I highly suggest NOT doing multiple bakes, attack the problem at the root, do not try to simply fix the the symptoms of the problem. These sort of methods will be much harder to use on more complex assets, so its best not to rely on them, instead to understand why the problems occur.

The metal ring thing is just a matter of highpoly content, nothing to do with baking method.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Planks look better, roundness looks better too. You're getting there, don't give up on it, learning how to do a quality bake is very important, and this is a good simple asset to hammer away on. When you get onto more complex stuff you'll be happy you went through the entire process with this.

It now looks like your metal rings are too hard edged, go in and add a nice big fat bevel to these(on the high), that should fix the errors there. Aside from this and the smoothing errors on the top, its looking much better actually.

Now, it looks like you have some smoothing errors at the top, what I would do here, is make sure these 2 rows of quads(the inner > shape) are one 1 smoothing group, the top cap is on one smoothing group, and the sides of the barrel are on one smoothing group. Also make sure your uvs are split accordingly too, to avoid errors. This should help with those smoothing issues.

It looks like you're previewing via renders? I would look into a nice viewport shader. If you follow the link 3ps my link in my thread you can find our shader, which we have a free version of, that has a shit ton of features, and has a mode to render normals very accurately.

Xoulio's shader is also very good and a lot of people like it, just so you dont think i'm trying to pimp our shit shamelessly here. I think with the latest version of max it has the normals fix too.

When you finally get the bake sorted and looking good, you should throw RGB colors onto your highpoly, so you can bake a diffuse map and easily split the channels to create masks for the different material types.

Edit: Oh I keep saying max but I see you're using blender, well the same advice should be applicable, tho I'm not sure exactly how blender's renderer works, and I doubt it has properly sync'd up normals.

Actually, I'm using GLSL in the viewport. They look 99% the same though. What appears to be a smoothing error is actually some geometry from the high poly object transferring down on the faces below it. I think I want to reshape the barrels a bit so there isn't any occluding geometry. I'll try the beveling on the rings and see if that doesn't solve the problem I'm having.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah and if you can, try to avoid areas that look like >_ if you know what i mean, they can be problematic. You might try just doing a simplier cap on the top with just a little recessed area in the normals, and totally flat geometry there. Sometimes with normals simplifying is a good thing.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reduced the complexity of the barrel and tried to bevel the rings. It seems that the floating rings on the high poly object is causing the issue with the bad bake.

woodbarrel03normals.png
    I know the map is huge. I thought a higher res image could be scaled down to remove the errors. Here's the render with the new map:

woodbarrelrender01.png
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    The green channel looks inverted. Those horizontal spans seem to go inwards, and not out.