Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Small Enviro Piece (God of War inspired)

artstream
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
artstream polycounter lvl 11
Hey all,

Just a small piece I'm working on before GDC. Referencing God of War mainly as my inspiration: I want to create a small & closed scene that still gives the player a sense of being small in a large space.

Here's a few images of where I'm at now, currently battling with pillar/support styles. The 3 blocks in the back are going to be 3 large statues. Yellow blocks represent human reference (32x32x96)

pillar_decision.jpg

blockout_detailrevamp.jpg

Here's my main reference piece. saddleroom.jpg

Replies

• PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    The concept you've chosen has very little encroaching on the floor, with most of the detail up high. It also has a very empty floor that does a great job of giving you an immediate mental measurement of the room's full size. Your pillar's sloping base is basically doing the opposite. It disguises the room's shape by limiting the space in which the player can move, and makes it feel much smaller.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but if you want to really achieve that roomy feel, you'll need to find another method that works with your pillars.

Edit: Giving the ceiling more empty space would probably do it. Turning the concept upside down, basically.

Edit #2: I think removing the two pillars and archways in the center would also work. You'd have less repetition in your scene and more to communicate the room's size.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback PatrickL, I took your 2nd suggestion and gpt rid of the center detail. I'm not going for an exact replica of the room, just using it for scale/design reference, but your point about making it more open and less crammed was spot on. Does this look any better? Not sure what I'll be putting in those alcoves (maybe doors, hinting at multiple paths or random pottery pieces)

openroom.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Already pushed to page four by the awesome, gotta keep it moving and upfront, haha.

Current state of the enviro:
    openroom-1.jpg
    openroom_side.jpg

The piece above the archway in the 2nd image is probably going to be some sort of relief/etchings/something that I'm not sure of yet. Not as much time as I'd like getting devoted to this, but hopefully I'll have more time in the next few days and the weekend. I also scaled down the pillars, they were reading too thick. Does this look more open and grand? I'd like to move into the modeling of assets here soon so I can focus on the texturing and lighting. Thanks for any and all c&c.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I think the door may be a little on the small side. It's not feeling all too epic at the moment. I would also maybe widen the center section or change up those pillars a bit. The path to that altar type area feels a little constricted, negating the grand and open feeling you're going for.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks SeanEG, I'll work on that next.

Had an idea at work, to give the environment a stronger function/purpose: images, then text.
    new_idea.jpg
    new_idea2.jpg

The idea is that each door leads to a maze that the player would have to go through and solve a puzzle, activating the icons on the reef above the corresponding door. After activating both reliefs, the large gate that I blocked out would open, revealing the final location/destination.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Are you planning on making that statue? Because I don't see a focus point in your progress shots. Anyway keep it up because you're making good progress.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Habboi, no, I was planning on having that block in the back be a relic of some kind that's surrounded by 3 statues. Not sure if it's reading as such since it's just basic geometry right now. Thanks for the feedback!
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rough update before bed, based on some crits by other artists (you rock Emil!).

grandscale2.jpg
    grandscale.jpg

Although I'm not re-creating the concept, I am using it for scale and design aesthetic. One thing that really stuck out once it was said was that the environment dwarfs Kratos: there's not a lot of micro detail, it's a lot of large shapes. Everything stands so tall and large over Kratos. So with that, I'm trying a different approach with the environment. Does it feel more "grand" now? I feel that it's getting close, but not quite there yet.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man. Just to continue what we were talking about earlier.

If you really look at the concept and try and break down the elements, you'll see there really isn't much to it and the whole thing can be build with only a few modular pieces. If you do this, you'll be able to see what defines the architecture and how you can reproduce the style to it's full potential.

Primarily everything in this scene is either a circle or a straight line (excluding a few detailed areas).

Firstly, you'll notice that almost all the round elements, if connected or mirrored they will form a perfect circle. However, there is only area that breaks that shape and that is the center piece archway, which forms an oval shape. In a way, it's allowed to break the rules slightly because it is a feature, it is meant to be stand out and requires attention. But it is still using the same design principal.

kv_01a.jpgkv_01b.jpg

Next you have the rectangular/straight lined features. You'll see these shapes were specifically left for the pillars and the walls. Why there and not everywhere else?
    Well by having long straight lines, it emphasises the illusion of height. It will make the scene seem far more grand and dwarfing to the character/viewer. Even the detailing on the wall is rectangular and not a square, which is still using long straight lines.

kv_02.jpg

Squares seem to be only left for the floor and ceiling. Simple shape, not to draw too much attention but to complete the harmony of the scene.

Finally, you have the detailed flourishes in the scene. This seems to be the wildcard, something that takes these basic geometric shapes and tells them to cram it! They look like they belong with this architecture because they take from the 2 main design elements. They are long lines, but instead of straight they are curved. They aren't curved enough to complete perfect circles so they are their own design element. They look like vines or thorns on a rose stem or something like that. These designs are used sparingly and only in key areas, such as where a wall meets the ceiling.

kv_03.jpg

There you have it, four simple rules. So to maintain consistency with your environment, keep those in mind when creating your assets. It will show through that your scene was designed and thought out before it was built and that it was built that way for a reason.

Hopefully that helps with you going forward with your scene.
    kv_04.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Emil: man hug, now I REALLY owe you that cherry coke or dr. pepper, hahaha.