Home General Discussion

Polycount Collaboration Project: Hail or Fail?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
It just seems that it's done for...

The last one had some people working on it, and there was some great stuff being made, but now it just seems like it's taking up space...

Just keep riding the train or derail?

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    You gotta pick your battles. This one looked lost pretty early on.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Hopefully it can get back and running, it was definitely a good time participating. :)
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohhhh I read it :shifty:
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I got lost a few weeks into it and was going to pick something to work on but couldn't be arsed to understand how/what was already being worked on, lots of people were doing same objects, etc.. etc.. so i said meh. seemed to be too many cooks not enough leads.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After offering to help in any way I could if not in asset creation then with automation and technical help. I was told "we're only taking people who can draw..."

Ouch...

I get that my 2D skills aren't all that sharp, I'd even call them way behind the curve. But way to totally misunderstand all of what I was offering... heh. Haven't fallowed it that closely since.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    imo, the only way a game is going to get made is if it's super small and simple, maybe each artists contribution fits into a really defined template with guidelines so it can fit into the game like a lego brick and you can have as few or as many as you like and the game still works. I'm thinking the scale of a game which would go on ipad, not the next balls-out massive crysis game

remember the polycount 'world' where everyone had a plot and you they were all connected up for a render? like that idea (not literally, but in the way the pieces fit pretty much any way and however many you had).

I think if the game design embraces the fact that the game is going to look higglty-pigglty and a total mix of styles instead of fighting it, it's also taken a step closer to reaching a real goal
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    After offering to help in any way I could if not in asset creation then with automation and technical help. I was told "we're only taking people who can draw..."

Ouch...

I get that my 2D skills aren't all that sharp, I'd even call them way behind the curve. But way to totally misunderstand all of what I was offering... heh. Haven't fallowed it that closely since.

that's what pretty much put me off the first collab. while there was character art to a degree, it became very obvious very fast that it was just a project for concept and environment artists to make some pimp folio pieces. i joined it under the impression that a demo vid (at least) with characters, enviro... well, everything you'd expect from a multi-talented forum, and was let down, so i just left it, i feel bad that i didn't tell anyone i wasn't interested anymore. but that's the way it is i guess.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    As someone who was apart of the first group, who also did some actual work, and tried to reorganize after all of the leadership left, I would say this thing is a epic fail. The first group started slowly too. I've yet to see any real progress from the 2nd group.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    yea its running again check out this HERE also we need to start the location poll if no one has any other suggestions I was gonaa do that.

Seriously have you guys looked at the section in awhile(yesterday)?

I've been checking back when I can, but I've been terribly busy with college, and other work, so its been hard to do anything really.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    To be brutally honest, I think a huge thing that ruined the first one (which I was a part of for a bit) was a lack of experience all around. With only 2 or 3 members having actual industry experience. Lots of wheel spinning and idea men with nothing to back it up - it became a waste of time. The entire project was dreamed up by an idea man, who left, then lots of "we should do this - we should do that." It's not a slight, but a reoccurring problem with relatively new artists and projects like that is idealism - caring too much about back story and shit and not about making art. Personally, I can't see it ever working and, if you're looking to work on a group project, join or make a mod or find a few like minded guys to just jam with.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Fairly certain I'll be closing that forum off completely in the coming week, if not tonight.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I reckon it *could be done, just not anything like the way it has been attempted. There needs to be something concrete before all the pretty art gets added, one or a few people just need to get a basic prototype up and running which could easily have varied art hung onto it- but pages of documentation and reams of concept art are not the way to begin imo.. thats just words and pictures.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thing is you don't really need the forum space to get a prototype up and running.. so adam doesn't have any bearing on the success of the project.

dont want to speak for adam, but if something became a solid, playable test with clear potential for art collab, then the forum space would probably be back and available.. but until then it's still hot air
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Having that forum there, with no progress and wheel spinning is also kind of a sore spot. Like, why have a practically dead forum kicking around? If you really want it to keep going, there's no one stopping you from opening a singular thread in PnP and just jamming out with your clam out.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the idea of it, but if it was a tad bit organized it would work well.

It's just smart to make a list, the importance of a list is one of the crucial things missing from this project. We're still thinking too big, like that dude who wanted to make a community MMO... from scratch...

Clearly people want something like this to happen, I mean... there's the Civil War and tons more community projects going on as I write this. If we had done it right, all that work would have been contributed to something awesome.

Not saying the Civil wars aren't awesome... umm cause, they are!

Please don't rape me.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Then - give it a chance on your own. It would actually be a 3rd chance and is just a sore spot if it goes south again. Even by thinking it should have it's own forum, it's making it way more grandiose than it needs to be. Hook up with another artist, get shit started together. No need for recruiting threads and all of that. People will still support the project, it just doesn't need to be this huge thing. If it fails, it fails, and it's one thread that fades away, not one entire section taking up our main forum page and just slowly dying.

It's the same with CW, you don't need people to tell you to do this shit. Just find a small group of like minded guys and do whatever you want.

I mean, if you think that this would ever get big enough and polished enough to be note worthy, you're wrong. There's no reason to have this expansive thing when in a best case scenario you're just going to get a few props to show off. That being the case, the same thing can be accomplished with just one source and not eat up admin time.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    I'm actually surprised that that section hasn't been deleted already.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised that that section hasn't been deleted already.

To be honest, so am i.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the problem was that you let everyone have a say in what was going to be made and how. democracies dont work. should have had a clear idea with 2 or 3 people max and then everyone else would just make things for you. you know...like a real studio. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah no one would take ownership or break it down into teams
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    woah I just took over like 3 days ago... I was tryna put it back together right. Not me

heh. not singling anybody out. i havent even been following it much since it started. i have no idea about what state its in.