Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

XV88 -WIP-

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
Hey hows everyone doing,
I am creating a XV88 set in the world of war hammer 40k.
Part of the tau race. I plan on using this model along with my chaos marine model to put to together some still images to boost my portfolio.

Please let me know what you think of the early stages of the XV88

tauxv883.jpg

tauxv881.jpg

tauxv882.jpg

Replies

• Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firstly I'm going to say that your render could show off your model a lot more effectively, crop out the wasted space on the sides, use a subtler gray instead of the black background, I'm guessing you're using a light tracer/skylight (given you're using max) try adding 3 or so omni's with 0.3 intensity with a murky brown colour, a red and a blue either side, or whatever the equivelent in your 3d software, this will show off detail and look much nicer.

The model itself looks like it's got a lot of potential, here are some criticisms I have; the thighs are completely straight, they should be angled and look a bit thicker at least, that goes for the knee too, the pose is way to stiff, even for the modelling stage. The helmet doesn't look accurate to a Tau battlesuit, it looks close but not quite iirc, the arms also look too short, lengthen them completely, try having the bend put in, you'll probably be able to see it better in comparison to pictures of the model itself as they all have bent arms. The jet pack on the back is also very blocky and from memory I recall that they taper in at the bottom towards the back, there is also a large Tau emblem on the side that you could add. The torso section is too squashed, the top bits or 'pecks' should come down a lot lower over the abdomen which you've improvised, the crotch area is also larger and more curved than on your model. Furthermore there is a radio antenna on the helmet of the battlesuits, you should try adding that to both sides of the helmet, don't forget the tracking device mounted on top of the guns :), this is looking at the old XV88, I don't know if you're basing it off a forgeworld model or something, but hopefully some of these things you can improve on.

But keep working on it, is it subd at all?
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ihazard,
    Thank you for the critique. I'm using Maya, in that last render I put up here i was using a simple surface shader.
    I'm using the art I see in the Tau codex and trying to make it my own.
    I did a bit of work on it before I have to start getting ready for work.
    It's not much but I just wanted to see if I'm on the right direction.

also is there a better place to host pictures other than photobucket?

TAUHEAD.jpg
    TAUFEET.jpg
    SIDE3.jpg
    SIDE2.jpg
    SIDE1.jpg
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    imageshack.us

That render is a bit dark? Try using this http://nextgenhardsurface.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=43
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys its bee n awhile and ive been super busy laty
    i just wanted to throw the latest screens up
    Critiques welcome, Thank yall for your time.

sidev2.jpg

sidv1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us