Home Technical Talk

OverDose Tools… For Your Own Use!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
OverDose Tools… For Your Own Use!

Wait, say what…?! Yeah, the guys at [TBG] work hard, and we love nothing more than making our own jobs easier when possible. One of these areas is our toolset, which helps us greatly when it comes to working on OverDose. “But wait, are these tools just for OverDose?” I hear you cry, and the answer is… No! While these tools were built for OverDose use, they can be used in other situations for modding other games. Here’s the run down of what this package contains:

ODCompress – Ahh, what will likely attract the most users. ODCompress will take any .tga file and convert it into a .dds file, allowing you to set the compression format, channel weights, alpha threshold etc, or just allow the tool to do what’s best (Which works flawlessly 99.9% of the time, even for normal maps!). Here’s the best bit, it will allow you to select files by hand or select entire directories. A really easy to use but powerful GUI.

moddb_13_1_small.jpg

ODFont – A tool that will take any true type font and create multiple resolution .tga/.dds files from it, for use in your game GUI’s from it. We don’t supply the code to help your engine support this feature so keep that in mind, but this is the tool we use to create in-game fonts in OverDose. .tga/.dds fonts are much better than loading a font directly into your engine.

moddb_13_2_small.jpg

ODMap – This tool is really only useful for OverDose development, but I’ve included it anyway so that you can, if you wish, compile D3/Q4 format .map files into OverDose .bsp files. Its also there to show you A) How easy it is to work with OverDose and B) How far our toolset has come with usability. Remember, the code for ANY of these tools is available at any time, so if you have a Q3 mod and what to convert ODMap into a new Q3Map compiler GUI for your own needs, get in touch.

moddb_13_3_small.jpg

ODModel – Again, this tool is mostly for OverDose work, and will take a .ase/.obj.lwo model and convert it into OverDose’s own .mdl format models (The OD .mdl isn’t to be confused with the Source format .mdl, although we have the same goals. OD.mdl will simply stream line the mesh as much as possible, cleaning it and taking out any junk that isn’t needed). It will also convert any .ase/.obj.lwo model into and OverDose .cm Clip Model for use in game for collision detection and physics, as well as turn .md5mesh into a .md5clip model (Again for animated collision).

moddb_13_4_small.jpg

ODVideo – Another major tool that we get a lot of requests about. ODVideo takes any outputted images in animation form (For example, dumped right from the console with aviDemo) and turns them into a .ROQ video (complete with custom sounds), all in a handy GUI. But wait, that’s not all! It has separate frame rate and bit rate settings with a higher resolution, which, simply put, allow for stunning 720p 30fps 20mbit/sec videos.

moddb_13_5_small.jpg

Each tool comes with verbose output on compile which allows you to check exactly what’s going down in Groovetown with the program, as well as the ability to log it all to an external text file. Click the shiny download button below to find the download:

moddb_13_6_small.jpg

NOTE: These tools are supplied as game editing tools, and as such there are certain rules to how they work. The directory that the tool will search in must be directly accessible from where the program is been used. For example, for use with Doom 3 media, simply place in your “Doom 3” folder and then load the directory “base” on program load. This will allow all of Doom 3’s file structure visible by Windows to work with the tools.

Ok, that’s pretty much it. We wanted to release these tools because to be quite honest, they really do help with media creation. I know the .dds tool alone gets a hell of a lot of requests, simply because its so fast and easy to use but it exports superior compression with normal maps compared to others. That ATI tool…? Waaaaaaay too complex.

So, enjoy, and if you have any questions just ask away!

(No, ODRadiant isn’t in this package, as its WIP, so if you’re a coder then get in touch we need help on that front. It wouldn’t be much good even if it was as its for OverDose!)

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Not one reply? :(
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i read it and didnt see much use expect for overdose specific things

the texture compressor might me some use i guess
  • McBradd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McBradd polycounter lvl 12
    Honestly, this is the first I've heard of OverDose, or Team Blur, but it's incredibly generous of you to share the tools you've built. I'll give ODCompress and ODFont a run through and see if they are an improvement over our current toolset. Thanks again.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    really nice of you to give us the tools! more companies should share stuff like that :) i love to improve workflows :) Thanks!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    did you guys write your own DDS save code or use a 3rd party library? just asking before I reinvent the wheel
  • eddybrown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for sharing these tools!

I've had a look at the texture compressor but when I scan a directory for TGAs I'm getting illegal filename issues. What are the filename limitations? Does this use Cuda for compression, it seems to be really quick compressing.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    On illegal file names - Its because the internal file system in OD and all tools are limited to files inside .PK3 files, or files in directories, but they must NOT contain spaces anywhere, must be formed of only letters from A to Z (upper or lower case), numbers, or underlines... and the full path is limited to 256 characters.

On the DDS save code - Yes its totally custom built from the ground up.

On CUDA for compression - Nope, it uses the same library as the one from ATI (the same one used by The Compressonator).
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Odium:

It is very generous of you guys to share your hard work with the community! Tho I likely wont make any use of the toolset at this time, I have to commend your efforts.
    Kudos gentlemen! Well done.
  • eddybrown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I tend to have a lot of hyphens in filenames I use so that basic thing would rule it out unfortunately.

But again thanks for sharing your tools and putting them out to the community.