Home Technical Talk

Wondering what my next step should be.

The photo shows a front of cocpit,hull,and wing of a spacecraft.

Everything in here looks like it has hard edges.

In the upper right corner of the model is a windshelid for a cocpit,theres a problem there im not sure how to fix...See the lighting difference.Not sure if its streching or needs another cut.Unsure.

Id like to know what would be my next step in building this model.I think it needs to be smoother.

Should i do something else before trying to make it less hard edged?

tttttttt.jpg

11311.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    throw more geo at it!
  • tristamus
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    DKK wrote: »
    Sure.

I can tell you are trying your hardest to be constructive, DKK...

As for your next step, there is a lot that could be done to solve your issues with the differences in lighting.

Yes, add an edge, perhaps like I've depicted in the image...

image1paintover.jpg

You're going to need more geometry than even I have depicted there, but you get the idea, right?

Try to keep your topology (The edge flow and way you build the geometry) in quads...meaning, 4 vertices only for every polygon. If you must have triangles, then that's okay, but if you're going to take it into ZBrush, make damn sure it's all evenly spaced topology and no tris (Triangles).
  • Tom Ellis
    My honest suggestion here is to just take a step back and follow some tutorials.

I'm not gonna pretend to be the authority on learning because I'm still learning a lot myself but Ive read a few of your recent posts and you don't appear to be grasping many of the fundamentals, resulting in you getting stuck, getting frustrated and posting on here.

I'm guessing you just jumped around the Max help file a bit, followed the start of one or two web tutorials and then dived into your own stuff head first. While it's admirable that you're working on your own projects, 3D packages are complex beasts that need a solid grounding of knowledge before they can be used and navigated properly.

So my advice is this, it's not free, but it WILL help you immensely. The reason I'm not suggesting any freebie tutorials is because the DT tuts 'hold your hand' and explain everything very well, so you're almost guaranteed to be able to follow them and understand them. There are some great free tutorials too, but listening to Joe Bloggs talk over a 4x video ain't helping you much when you dont understand what the hell Joe Bloggs is doing.

Go to Digital Tutors, sign up for a months training and check out 'Introduction to Max 2011' and 'Intro to Modeling in 3DS Max'.

Follow both those tutorials exactly, and you will know perfectly how to properly use Max to model, texture and render.

Then once you're ok with that, go to Eat3D and go through the Old Damaged Pillar kit.

After that, you should be well armed in skills to tackle your own projects. Seriously, it sounds a lot of work, money etc but it really is important that you get a good knowledge of how to work in 3D before you get into your own stuff. Think about it, if you're already asking for help when you're at the stage you're showing in your OP, you're gonna be stumbling at every hurdle from then on.... That's a lot of questions on Polycount!
  • tristamus
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    My honest suggestion here is to just take a step back and follow some tutorials.

I'm not gonna pretend to be the authority on learning because I'm still learning a lot myself but Ive read a few of your recent posts and you don't appear to be grasping many of the fundamentals, resulting in you getting stuck, getting frustrated and posting on here.

I'm guessing you just jumped around the Max help file a bit, followed the start of one or two web tutorials and then dived into your own stuff head first. While it's admirable that you're working on your own projects, 3D packages are complex beasts that need a solid grounding of knowledge before they can be used and navigated properly.

So my advice is this, it's not free, but it WILL help you immensely. The reason I'm not suggesting any freebie tutorials is because the DT tuts 'hold your hand' and explain everything very well, so you're almost guaranteed to be able to follow them and understand them. There are some great free tutorials too, but listening to Joe Bloggs talk over a 4x video ain't helping you much when you dont understand what the hell Joe Bloggs is doing.

Go to Digital Tutors, sign up for a months training and check out 'Introduction to Max 2011' and 'Intro to Modeling in 3DS Max'.

Follow both those tutorials exactly, and you will know perfectly how to properly use Max to model, texture and render.

Then once you're ok with that, go to Eat3D and go through the Old Damaged Pillar kit.

After that, you should be well armed in skills to tackle your own projects. Seriously, it sounds a lot of work, money etc but it really is important that you get a good knowledge of how to work in 3D before you get into your own stuff. Think about it, if you're already asking for help when you're at the stage you're showing in your OP, you're gonna be stumbling at every hurdle from then on.... That's a lot of questions on Polycount!

Listen to him! =D
  • keres
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    Everyone tells me Lynda.com is significantly better than Digital Tutors on some subjects. Steve Nelle taught me how to use 3ds Max, and there are few parts of the program (with the exception of animation) that I haven't learned from his videos.
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    What creation said. It also helps to follow a concept image. If you try to work from something in your head or make it up as you go along you'll run into problems really quickly and get discouraged. Rarely do you see artists jump straight to a 3d model. Even if you start with 3D to block out shape and proportions, usually you take your blockout and paint over it in 2D to flesh out the idea before going back and redoing it in 3D.

Basically, I can't tell what that is supposed to be, even though you explained it.
  • Tom Ellis
    keres wrote: »
    Everyone tells me Lynda.com is significantly better than Digital Tutors on some subjects. Steve Nelle taught me how to use 3ds Max, and there are few parts of the program (with the exception of animation) that I haven't learned from his videos.

I always found Lynda incredibly dull and boring over DT. The thing about DT is that the training is project based, and usually it's something cool and the instructors are industry guys (I think the Max guy works for Dreamworks).

For example, the Intro to Max 2011 kit has you Modeling a spacecraft, texturing it, rigging it, animating it and then rendering and comping into a plate background. So you're working in a real world workflow and have a project goal rather than 'this is the translate button, it moves objects, like this'.

Everyone has their preferences though, I just think Digital Tutors take the boring out of learning. When I learned with DT 4 years or so ago, I remember thinking 'oh awesome I get to model that car!' and I think that's what motivated me to actually watch and follow the training which is important for beginners who will get bored and frustrated easily.