Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steam Truck pimp (Cinematic spam / Image heavy)

I submit for your critique my Steam Truck project. This is a model I created to eventually use in a short animation project, and to get the "Cinematic Bug" out of my system so I can go back to focusing on game enviros (my true love). Modeling, textures and background all created by me in 3ds max 9.0. There is a lot I would like to improve, but I feel Ive taken this as far as I can without some input from the community poly120.gif

Overview: This truck is designed to haul ore from a mine to a processing facility at high speeds over long distances. The supercharged boiler powers 3 drive motors with 4 massive cylinders in each allowing for straight line speeds over 100mph. It is operated by a 3 man crew - Driver, Engineer and Spotter.

Goal and specs: My goal with this project was to practice sub-d modeling and texturing, as well as to create something cool for my portfolio to help the job hunt. I created all geometry and background elements from scratch. In total I made 38 tiling map sets and 16 custom map sets, plus custom generated HDRI's for the reflections. The truck is 3,520,763 polys before subdivision (which occurs at render time), and the background is about 1/4 that (without trees and grass). The truck is rigged (all suspension elements function properly) and the entire interior is built out.

Post Mortem: Overall I am pleased with how this turned out. I feel I learned volumes about sub-d as well as texture creation and post processing and I developed a very good pipeline for working with such a large scene, all of which I think will be valuable when I begin working on larger game enviros. The things I feel I could have done better is the lighting, the texture on the ground (actually bothers me quite a bit), the texture on the cab, and my cameras. This project took longer than I planned, but I feel ok with that since it was a learning experience, and I also now have 38 very decent tiling map sets that I can recycle into future projects to save time.

If you actually read all that, thanks! Please crit this thing up - Let me know what you feel could be improved to really bump this up to pro level, or even just anything that stands out as amateur or poorly done, and I promise my next post will actually be game related poly120.gif

-Nick (wants a job)

KROPAT_TRUCK_7.jpg

KROPAT_TRUCK_8.jpg
KROPAT_TRUCK_9.jpgKROPAT_TRUCK_10.jpgKROPAT_TRUCK_11.jpgKROPAT_TRUCK_12.jpgKROPAT_TRUCK_13.jpgKROPAT_TRUCK_WIP7.jpg

Replies

• mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Looks really cool, lots of detail all over. I agree with luke... must have taken time to texture it. Oh and can you please show a top perspective view of its front? All your screens are from the ground up. And the one that shows the back is a bit far away so can you show a closer one? thanks :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    all the dials in the cab add SOOOO much flavor its almost too much :P
    I feel like in order to balance out the detail distribution, the cab needs a heavy dose of user wear n tear. things to make it look lived in especially details on the floor.
    trash- geri rigged cup holders, photos of family - or sexy ladies, used to death seat covers, broken shit- repaired with tape, fuzzy dice-esque things- etc etc.

I know how it feels to be at the end of something and to be bathing in the after glow of making a successful piece. the idea of going back in an reworking stuff when its near perfect is something that probably wont happen :P

at the end of the day these images will make anyone shit their pants so kuddooos.
    also- BANNER IMAGE SAYS I!
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    apsolutly epic, my only issue is the third pic - might just be me (and im thinking this less the more i look) but it looks a lil too big for that enviro, just scaling the truck down a tad or the enviroment equally may help it but as i say its probably just me

oh and i want to see this animated - if you could show us the rig to would be sweet

looking forward to more updates !!!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Honestly I think these renders are just killing this piece. That enviro in contrast to how amazing the truck is - well it's doing it a HUGE injustice. I know the focus is the truck but honestly you can make the enviro 100x better.

The renders seem really photoshoped and edited to the point that it's hideous at this point. Your originals were much more impressive and I think you are really killing an awesome piece with this presentation.

Also I would like to see a render with the entire high poly model of the truck. i'm sure it will take 24 days to complete but man it would be awesome to see it.
  • KristianT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You sir, are an alien sent from outer space to earth only to texture awesome shit...
  • bfasten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bfasten polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing work. Love seeing the realistic textures on a very detailed model. It really does make all the difference with a scene like this one. Keep up the great work.
  • Desert-Island-Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Desert-Island-Designs polycounter lvl 7
    Nice modeling and texturing.

My only crit would be that its not realy saying Steam to me - but thats a minor point on such a detailed and ultimately sexy piece of work.

If it was Id say think about the key elements of a steam engine and try to show a few of them in the design. Heat can be generated in a variety of forms so thats not too important but for Huge distances Water would be, so on a redesign Id be tempted to either show huge water tanks or maybe a catchment system on the roof in a similar way to the how steam trains used to fill up on the move. And probably a nice big fifth wheel coupling too :D

Beatyfull addition to your folio.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I initialy thought that it was done in Unreal. Im not sure if thats a compliment though~~ Rendering needs to be improved. With Mr.Moody on this. Presentation needs to be better. Modeling is nice. the textureing is ok. I think your going over with the grime and some of the areas dont make sense.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy shit this is insane, awesome work!
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    holy fuck i am astounded at the level of detail and quality.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    haha, I like how there are multiple operators. one for the maneuvering and one for monitoring the gauges. Thats cool.

On the texturing, I think this thing is so universally dinged up that you don't fully appreciate the griminess of it all, nor does it read all that well from a distance. It just looks noisy.

I think what this needs is areas of relative cleanliness, and then areas of solid grime.

The best example of this would be the bumper in the 4th picture. To me this looks like a generic grimy texture pasted over your UV. The directionality of some of those scratches are peculiar, and I think there are a lot of missed opportunities to have your texture reinforce the shape of your object and grant a look into the history of this vehicle. For instance, why is the paint chipped smackdab of the beam, but not around edges and other protrusions where the paint would be most susceptible to being chipped?

But overall :thumbup:

On a conceptual and modeling level this is SCHWEET, but I do think the texture and the aforementioned presentation issues are letting it down.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everybody for your replies so far-

@mkandersson - Ill post some additional views soon (have to work tomorrow yuck).

@konstruct - I love the idea of the trash and random stuff in the cab, I might very well try and add some of your ideas - the girly posters and garbage seem like they would totally fit :)

@MephistonX - it does look a bit out of scale, but its actually just flippin huge - the truck is 100' long, 32' wide and 28' tall - the drivers sit 18' off the ground ;)

@Jesse Moody - thank you for your crit - I agree the presentation isnt perfect (presentation is a weak point for me) but I didnt think it was all that horrifically terrible... I fully agree the presentation could be way better, and Im open for suggestions on how to improve it. I'm confused by the request for the entire high poly tho... This renders in one pass, and the only Photoshop work done to it is some levels, and the sky.. the entire model is rendered in every view. Id be happy to show what you would like to see if you could elaborate a bit - sorry for the confusion on my end :(

@KristianT - dont let that get out man! Im trying to blend in as human... damnit :p

@Desert-Island-Designs - Thanks! I agree this isnt very traditional steam styled.. it started much more traditionally and sort of got away from me. I like the 5th wheel idea tho, that does certainly need to be implemented.

@whats_true - no argument here, as said before I have issues with presentation... can you suggest what I can do to make it better?
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    What in the fuck? AWESOME!!!!

Out of words sorry.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    I'll just go along with everyone else in the thread and say out-loud FOR FUCKS SAKE...great job man.

Steampunk is def my favorite art style and this is amazing.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    awesome details!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    holyyyy shit this is INSANELY AWESOME!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Oh, man.

The things I would do to take that truck for a spin around the block. haha.

Really awesome work Mechadus. Turned out great!
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    This is unbelievable. You're a modeling god. I'm not worthy!
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    get rid of the background man.

Focus the render on the truck itself.

The background is not that good compared to the truck, and distracts from the truck. I dunno if you're also trying to make the scene look like a game quality scene, but since that asset is not a low poly bake, you want to show it for the cinematic quality you're going for.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Epic, my only concern is the really long front overhang; you'd never be able to use this thing off-road and it'd probably get stuck anywhere hilly like the streets of San Francisco.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
  • Don Karnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any chance of seeing the diffuse? :P
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    looks good from a modeling perspective... but the texturing i wouldn't agree is so amazing. The texturing/materials applied just make it look like a super scratched up mess.

also agree that the renderings don't do it much justice either. I think if you did better renderings a lot of the texture noise could be forgiven, but even then, there's a lot of uncecessary scratches and rust all over the thing... some colour choices aren't really working for me (like all the green metals). I'd suggest seperating your elements a bit better through specular settings and gloss settings too...

the model is fucking amazing, I hope you can pull everything together and get some amazing renders of it.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreeing that the BG sells it short - something smaller, more podium/diorama-esque would probably be better. Seconding the need for "lived-in" crap in places. And for all that worn texturing, none of the actual geo seems to be dented :P Tire material also seems pretty flat, not much ambient light/rimlight or lighter dust. I'm also lackign a better frontal view - almost looks like you're hiding the cockpit, a pretty crucial area :)

As a reference on simpler presentation: Photos-room_com___10sBuggy_desert_front_by_Marek_Denko.jpg
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback everybody! Since the general concensus seems to be that the background needs to go, Im definately going to loose it in favor of something much simpler. Now that I have been away from this project for a few days I certainly see how it could be mucho better.

@ Don Karnage - Id be happy to show some maps when I post the additional / new views - there are 38 diffuse maps... which ones would you like to see?

@ nfrrtycmplx - Ill work on the specular and gloss separation idea... Right now do you feel everything is just too uniformly shiny / glossy?

@ rasmus - thank you for the ref image - I remember seeing that render a while back on 3dtotal or something. Looking at my work I very much agree with the comments about the tires - they need lots of work. I will play with a similar presentation and see what I can come up with :)

Thanks again everybody, I super appreciate all the feedback and ideas! Ill post updates when I have a little time to work on this thing - I have 2 full time jobs now :(
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    so many nice details in the mesh that are completely hidden by the texturing and rendering :(
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Can't wait to see this without the background. That was definitely taking away from the awesomeness.

I don't know why but the truck makes me want a Natural Light and a rare steak. Awesome details.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    God damn this is amazing.
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    great details! now all u need is some drivers..
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Mechadus - I think that's the biggest issue i'm having with it. That and the uniform level of distress on everything. Seems like it's all the same type and level of scratches on everything. Would be cool to see different types of materials, everything looks metal right now (which is appropriate for steampunk maybe).

also all the scratches run in the same direction on an element. The round objects/surfaces should probably have surface details/scratches that help define the shape of them. If i have time later i'll do a quick paintover to better show what i'm talking about. But basically you can do a lot with the scratches to help push the forms a bit, and maybe then it wouldn't read ss flat as it does. (not that it looks terrible or anything... it's actually a very awesome model)