Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Short Sword, with a twist!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
What I have here is a sword with some steam punk inspired stuff to make it all cool and hip.

I looked at some steam punk stuff and decided that my short sword wasn't hip enough for the kids these days, so I decided to add a device, like a radiator, that heats the blade.

This is what I have for now..

A handle, hilt is some sort of rubbery stuff holding the blade to the handle, and the radiator system, powered by some sort of steam/gas/water device internally.

Need more inspiration so I opened up this thread, also didn't want to keep cluttering the WAYWO thread.

I am super open to advice at this point because my mana is running low. I would like to make a low poly/game version, but I really want to just "finish" the model rather than thinking ahead... it kills me everything.

Also, is there a easy way to make a ring/weld type thing for the pipes? They looks really weird just coming out of the canister..

25rgvgo.png

2elz1mq.png

1zn680i.png

Replies

• LateWhiteRabbit
    What do you mean by weld or ring? You could model a flat part coming off the tank where the pipes exit with a weld where it meets the tank. Then just add in some washers and nuts at the base of the exhaust pipes.

And I have to say, right now the design looks fatally flawed. The greatest source of heat on the weapon is going to be right next to the hands of the user. Whoever uses this sword is going to get burned a long time before their enemy.

I would move the steam tank up onto the base of the blade (it'll transfer more heat to the sword as well) and model a guard out of some type of non-heat-conductive material to go between the wielder's hands and the tank.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit. but I want to know how to shape the washer, or something similar to the tank itself, you know? So it follows the contour of the tank.

Also the gas could be HHO, soo it's cool to the touch :P. Oh and I can't move it up more because then it'll get stuck when I'm slicking a guys head off, ya know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyhydrogen
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Thanks for the crit. but I want to know how to shape the washer, or something similar to the tank itself, you know? So it follows the contour of the tank.

Also the gas could be HHO, soo it's cool to the touch :P. Oh and I can't move it up more because then it'll get stuck when I'm slicking a guys head off, ya know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyhydrogen

I stand corrected. You learn something new everyday.

As for modeling the washers to follow the contour of the tank, I would model them normally, position it over the pipe, then use the Align tool (in 3ds Max) to get the angle right to the surface, then set turn on Snaps with the Face option checked and snap the bottom vertices of washer to the side of the tank. A little cumbersome I know.

But wouldn't the pipes be welded on anyway? There are curved washers, but not, that I know of, curved nuts. So if you wanted to go the nut and washer route, at least all you would have to worry about would be curving the washers - the rest would be pretty straight forward.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just remember, when metal gets hot, it gets soft.
  • Builder_Anthony
    Hmm i have a idea.Maybe make something similar that projects a laser onto the blade heating it.Or something really crazy like a spiral of particles that is small magnetic dust the circles around the blade and your little device heats the floating steel dust.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought the twist would be that it was really long :(

I don't have anything actually helpfull to contribute... sorry.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I think you should rethink the design, right now it looks neither balanced, nor functional. How does one hold the sword? And why not just hollow out the grip instead of adding an external tank?
  • Neelem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neelem polycounter lvl 7
    i thought it was a shortsword with a twist in the middle :P
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice LateWhiteRabbit, I am modeling some washers and nuts as I type, well... you know what I mean :).

I like your ideas Builder_Anthony, but it's a bit too sci-fi for this type of thing I think, wicked ideas though man!

Looks like it's from Fallot konstruct, always wicked stuff from those guys!

I kind of like the look of having an external tank, was always in my mind you know? I think you might be right though Slash, I gotta move this tank on top.

For ScudzAlmighty and Neelem:

24mb7kh.jpg

Alright... back to work, boys! I think I gotta add that grip all along the handle, or basically where the hand meets the handle.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The tank still seems a little to big.. Really unbalanced. Why not integrate it with the handle? I guess it would end up looking like a gunblade then..
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speaking of unbalanced... ahaha I gotta fix this... Might have to make some ribs that run across the tank and then come down to the blade, that should reinforce it.

9l8zub.jpg

Should not have started working on the model at this hour... I should go to bed it's almost 2am...
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    I would suggest modeling from concept art. or reference... get a handle on how weapons work and what make them functional/cool... then elaborate/improvise those ideas/techniques... there's no part of this weapon that makes any sense or is otherwise interesting.

Find something that looks cool/functional and draw inpiration from that. or draw it up or find concept art that makes sense... starting in 3d without doing any idiation at all is a bad move chief. Good luck though.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    You got a cool concept keep working on it. Make it a flamethrower sword-... thingy! Might come in handy... sometime.

Edit: Oh I see what you're all on about now and I agree. Slight misunderstanding on my part due to language(use of certain words).
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    inefficient != non-functional.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qlz - sorry dude, but i have to disagree... steampunk is not about weird bullshit that doesn't make any sense... it's fantasy and low-tech science fiction... some would argue with me about the science portion of that. But regardless. Shit has to function or at least be percieved to have a function.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=steampunk+weapon

just saying "it's steampunk, so it's ok" is like using "STYLIZED" to explain why a persons concept art doesn't have any god damn feet :)...

Either way, if you like the concept that's cool... i'm only suggesting that people do a bit of research and sketching before jumping into a 3d model...

imagine holding this and trying to cut someone with the blade... unless you're holding it by the canister you'd never be able to swing it effectively. This means you'd probably be better served having the canister/fuel mechanism attached to the front of the blade. But, if you're a warrior on the go, you probably don't have a shit load of ways to refill the fuel can that's in the front, so you might need to attach it to something that is attached to the character holding the sword via a tube of some kind and put a valve on the sword... but if it were me, i wouldn't attach my flame thrower or whatever to my blade, but instead have a seperate weapon that was a flame thrower instead. These two weapons individually would be more effective.

I'm just sayin'. It could be cool, it just happens to not be for a few small reasons that are easily fixed IMO.

*** edit *** yes, i do see that the canister is on the side now... still just sayin' :)
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    not sure if anyone proposed this, but the current design is sorta bland, so why not put the heating device in the actual handle? it would be a tad oversized, but the handle would be a furnace essentially. load coal/fuel in and at the bottom a billows like pump would be used to heat up the blade. the blade could have a different metal that would heat faster than the blade metal, thus heating the entire blade. At high temps it could even glow red. :)

Then if you make a character to go with this, just make a nifty coal ammo bag to hang on their belt. and the user would probably need a cool heat resistant glove! Just another cool thing to make with it.

heres a crude sketchup of what I mean.
    steam_sword.jpg
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for all the advice guys, I did made a sketch in the beginning, but it's kinda the same as my model ahahah. Ummm it isn't really steampunk to a tee, I was just inspired by steampunk, umm... you know?

The tank is floating in my picture.. so worthless.

I like your Idea <3oobersli, but wouldn't that burn my hand? Unless I wear some wicked awesome gloves... so never mind, ahah.

29m1so3.jpg

You know what? I'm getting some sexy ideas, soo look forward to a new design tonight eh.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome that you did some sketches and wrote some notes... especially the "buy/find eraser!" pretty good stuff.

post a bunch of sketches/ideas. after a while of sketching and taking feedback on the ideas on paper, you'll start to naturally progress towards good solid design quicker and then the creativity can really start to flow.

The most important thing is that you take comments/feedback very well. Most artists have a difficult time getting past the initial emotial response of someone having a problem with their work... for that i say "cheers!"

Keep it up! sketch sketch sketch
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Keep going! ^_^ If you stick with this and just keep pushing ideas around, I'm sure you'll end up with an awesome design in the end XD
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    ok so the hot sword idea is interesting.. though bizarre.
    I think I get what you're going for is the same sort of aesthetic as a flaming sword, without the magic ya?

.. so suggestion: why not put the tank on the pommel as a counterweight to a heavy blade out front, then run piping from the tank through the handle, along the back edge of the blade, and at regular intervals through the blade itself, ending with outlets on the blade edge. The piping could be ornamented like lace, vines, or plant branches in brass, adding to the overall steampunk aesthetic while maintaining the idea of a heated or firebreathing sword. You could even integrate a valve release button into the hilt of the sword to be thumb activated at a moments notice, or add in a valve somewhere if you want longer on/off periods.
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Vailias wrote: »
    \
    .. so suggestion: why not put the tank on the pommel as a counterweight to a heavy blade out front, then run piping from the tank through the handle, along the back edge of the blade, and at regular intervals through the blade itself, ending with outlets on the blade edge. The piping could be ornamented like lace, vines, or plant branches in brass, adding to the overall steampunk aesthetic while maintaining the idea of a heated or firebreathing sword. You could even integrate a valve release button into the hilt of the sword to be thumb activated at a moments notice, or add in a valve somewhere if you want longer on/off periods.
    I have to second this advice from Vailias.

The pipes from the tank would radiate heat to the blade much easier if they were actually in contact with the flat surface of the blade and running most of its length. Off to the side, like they are now, is pretty wasteful from a mechanical standpoint, with a large percentage of heat being dissipated into the air rather than going into the blade.

And I'd figure that regardless of fuel source or type used, the inventor of this thing would want a small portable tank to be as fuel efficient as possible.

I'm looking forward to seeing this new design you're cooking up. The current design frankly just looks awkward.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry guys, I want to answer and read all the new posts but before I do I have some new stuff. I made a new concept and you'll have to believe me I sketched it and then implemented it in my model.

This is what I have. I made the tank smaller as well, moved the pipe closer to the blade and added reinforcement, also added a "basket" type deal for the tank to easily replace the setup, if it breaks. Still have to add some details and stuff but I'm going to read all the new posts now.

33bmgdj.png

es3oeg.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Jessica Dinh, and also for your advice nfrrtycmplx. If I don't read the criticism and feedback from Polycount I wont ever learn anything. The people here are all amazing in one way or the other, not taking their advice would mean that I'm an idiot, ahah.

Wow Vailias, awesome ideas dude! I love the lace/vine idea but I'm having a hard time trying to imagine it, not too sure what you mean. I also like your valve release idea, I'm definitely going to implement that somehow, along with adding a on/off button on the pommel so that the character can hit a mob on the head to activate the heating device to pwn further.

I think we were sub consciously thinking on the same brain wave length LateWhiteRabbit. Scared? I am.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update:

While I was uploading I also adding some bolts and screws to the piece that holds the tank.

2s76o81.png

1fxthy.png

2hz7sw2.png

x57fwz.png

I also started unwrapping, see how that goes.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    This looks tons better than your first design!

I think it needs more detail on the tank and the hilt however.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I'm working on some sketches right now for some details. Adding some rivets and stuff.
  • NickT3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a really cool design. Im subscribing to see this thing finished :)
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Good job on the re-work. It looks mechanically sound now. Can't wait to see you texture this.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    Redesign looks sick. nice work. Are you using max? that render on the white background looks amazing for display purposes.
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Put the tank on the bottom front, rather than top front of the hilt where you have it, and have your heat pipe come up and over. It'll look much more balanced. You could even put the basket under the hand where it wouldn't interfere, and put some sort of cage over it. Your design is improving, but in my opinion, it has a far way to go until it's done.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys, but don't get your hopes up because I'm terrible at texturing, ahahaha!

Hey Cyreal, I'm using Max and that render was the result of a sky portal light and mental ray, I messed around with the mental ray light shader option of the light and it came out pretty good eh? You could probably use a point light and get the same result, maybe even a better one.

SnaFuBAR, I dig your ideas man, I'll try to change things around when I'm done texturing and stuff, it's just that I started doing it and don't really wanna jump back to moving stuff around. The canister isn't as heavy as you think, the blade itself would be the heaviest thing, then the handle, then canister.

So this is what I got now, 2 more pieces left then I'm going to try some texturing... yayyyyyy
    wak1vd.jpg
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm talking about visual balance. It's all about design, brosef.
  • NoctyQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've gotten a long way! :thumbup:
    What's the polycount?

I dig the alterations you've made to the design and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished :)
    I also felt like tuning in and admire your render setup! Very nice :poly136:
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I feel that your hipoly is still pretty empty, almost like it's just a mesh smoothed version of your low. If I were you I'd continue another day and add small details..ie: bolts, rims, metal seams, etc etc.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Nocty, thanks for the kind words man, the polycount is just under 5k.

Hey ErichWK, I did add some of the details, I`ll show you all the small stuff on the update to come :). I`m on a roll here with the unwrapping and already doing some crap looking texturing so I don`t wanna stop now!

Not looking to make a normal map or anything, I always have bad results with it so I`ll just focus on modeling and diffuse and specular textures for this one.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to give you a glimpse of how much I suck at texturing:

5k5cw3.jpg
  • rbeverly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks a lot better than the original design. You might consider turning the handle the other way though. Assuming you strike opponents with the bladed side, you want as much weight in front of the hand as possible, compared to the amount of weight behind the hand. The reason is that as the blow descends, weight behind the hand will tend to turn the blade to one side or the other. Weight in front of the hand will keep the blade stable and result in a cleaner blow.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I know what you mean man, that was my initial sketch so I might as well change it, it`s a easy rotate so no harm done :).
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't get over the fact of how bad that texture looks.. god it's a fucking rust can...

I'm taking another approach on this, going to power up the old scheme designer and pick a good color palate. After than I'm going to start mucking about with the texture again.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quitting is for fucking pussies, so here we go, hopefully the polyboys can help me out here. End the rest tomorrow, it's late man.

s1jbmf.jpg
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, this is what I got: Yeah It looks terriblem but in my defence it's my second time ever texturing. It's all made in gimp except the leather/polycount/logo on the can, which I got online (3dtotal & google).

314rnkn.jpg

2aki4c1.jpg