Home General Discussion

Well rounded Zbrush DVD(s)?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
Just watched a zbrush tutorial on youtube on a whim and realized i don't really know the first thing about the power of this program and I'm actually kinda pissed at myself right now for taking this long to decide to jump into it and find out more.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=038aNfh4AsY[/ame]

Anyone know of a really good, well rounded DVD that will teach the core fundamental functions of the program? I don't care if it's characters, environments, whatever, I'm really itching to learn zbrush on a level where i don't have to bounce back and forth with max so much and really open up new artistic doors with the program.

Any and all insight is appreciated, free tutorials would be great too, though I'm over not spending money for some really high quality educational dvd's these days. I have some free time at the moment and i'm waiting on a couple art tests that i know could have been stronger had i known more about this program.

Personal note, I'm a hotkey junky and really like to learn how to use a program super efficiently, so if anyone knows any tutorials on how to customize zbrush or just suggestions on streamlining it's use that'd be great. As is i find the tool selection, brush size changing (incriments of 10) a pain in the butt.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Stinger88
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, thanks stinger, now I feel kinda silly for asking. These are incredible, not used to a company offering such extensive free tutorials for their product.

Edit: Good lord as dumb as this post was I'm so glad I made it, these videos are mind blowing, so much artistic energy going right now to try new stuff!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. Pixologic are pretty damn good for there tutorials. (Probably because they'll be the first to admit that their software and interface isnt the easiest to learn). I have a few DVD's but i think i've refered to ZClassroom more than anything else.

After you've messed around with the beginner stuff. Theres a Tutorial section in the forums which is pretty good.
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

inparticular this thread (DID YOU KNOW THAT..) is very helpful. And teaches some awesome tricks.
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=099157
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great lookin' out dude. I've just about finished watching the basic videos and already i feel as though I can actually use this program and grow now, before i was just fumbeling around like an idiot. Finally knowing where the core brush settings are spread out to is going to help a ton, not to mention the hundreds of little things i just picked up.

I look back on my digital art career and remember how everything swims along till i get to the point where i can take it into zbrush and i would fumble with it, use a standard brush to try to make nooks and crannies for rocks and such and just give up, electing to use a touch of normals from zbrush (which were amaturish to say the least) but usualy setteling to get most of my normal information from xnormals. I've long been in awe of fully realized zbrush work and how the AO bakes combined with normals just shine.

Anyway, i'm about ready to let this thread fade away into obscurity since i'm probably the odd one out on knowing about this obvious Zbrush stuff. Can't believe i've waited this long to really dive into it, i think i've usually just had too much riding on my art be it a classroom setting without much time or a contest with fast approaching deadlines that i haven't taken the time to really learn a developed workflow for Zbrush, something vital at that in the current age, sure it'll just become more and more important as time goes. Well... better late than never. Might be makin' a pimping and preview post soon, do some zbrushin'!