Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

el fergo zbrusho

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Ferg polycounter lvl 17
Finally tryin to get my act together and do a full character, sculpted, lowpolied and textured. I'll also post my sketches and various zbrush abortions in here to keep from clogging up the WAYWO... and get more crits hopefully.

Feel like I've gotten pretty stuck with my style and am probably doing the same things over and over with every character. Some of that's intentional and it's just a matter of style... and some of it is habits that need to be broken so I can grow as an artist. Any crits are muchly appreciated :)

Here's today's bust... started out as a warm-up and ended up taking all the time I'd allotted to start a full character. Owell.

(based off / inspired by / ripped off from Allen Williams' incredibly badass sketch)

penumbrasculptpainted.jpg

More soon!

Replies

• Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I absolutely love it. Great job blending the different surface types, I would love to see this as a full character.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work Ferg! I really like the sharp shapes you have in the head. My only complaint is that the shoulders feel a little too disconnected and out of style from the rest of the sculpt.

- BoBo
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    razgriz - thanks dude! I would love to make him a complete character, but since it's not really my design I'm gonna try and do one that's 100% original.

bobo - thanks, great crit, I agree and did some work on the shoulders. I'm callin it done, hopefully this is an improvement, I've spent entirely too much time on it now heh.

cheers

penumbrasculptpainted3.jpg
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    excuse my french but holy shit, that is one badass sculpt.. where do you get your drugs? haha

cant wait to see what you cook up for your full character, until then ill be watching this thread :)
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work, really inspiring!
    The only part that bugs me is the middle metal bone part on the chest, it just kind of fades into the skin while the one above it has this really cool insertion point under a flap of skin.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Ferg, you're a crazy person.

CRAY ZEE
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE Ferg you do more now k!?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I've always loved your stuff, Ferg. Your tight detail and confident, spot on form is inspiring. Do you have any video recordings of your zbrush sessions?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Great work Ferg, I always love your sculpts, looking forward to seeing a full character!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing job man!
    Maybe you could polypaint him a bit. Just a couple of base colors layed down properly and a good shader could bump up presentation even more.
    or you could even do smth like this if you'll gave a bit more time:
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?p=597908

anyway keep rocking - I wanna see more=)
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Mike Yevin - haha, thanks man, jesus is my drug of choice actually.
    timewiese - thanks, yeah I hear ya but I wanted to keep the pecs as bigger, smoother shapes, whereas the collar bone was supposed to be defined all the way.
    Swizzle - Crazy? I was crazy once...
    Vig - thanks!
    Makkon - Gracias duder! I haven't made any recent recordings, but I have a few on my vimeo account: http://vimeo.com/8788809 . I can't really recommend them though, my workflow for those is pretty simple and sloppy, not really something I'd want anyone try and study heh. Sketch mode and production mode are pretty different for me.
    Bal - thanks man!
    D1ver - Thanks! He's actually polypainted quite a bit in grayscale to pop the shapes and break up the materials a bit. I thought about doing a color paint but it would just take so long and I really need to get started on another character.

...which leads me to the fact that I still haven't done that. The other day I remembered that I used to paint, and so I started one and blew most of my free time the past few days on it. It was fun but now I really need to hop back on the 3d train. I also decided that I'm not allowed to do any more faces with crazy 3d shapes until I do a lot more art that isn't that.

anywho here's the painting, it's about four feet tall and all acrylic. Photo kills about half the color range but whadyagonnado. More 3d after this, promise.

maggotbrain.jpg

cheers!
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    ... holy crap dude. that's awesome! how many hours did that take?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    >: O AND MAD PAINTING SKILLS!!?

killer painting... but i'm afraid you have too much talent (welcome to donate some my way :))
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    daphz - thanks man, took about 20 hours. I'm incapable of workin on paintings for more than a couple of sessions, and I rarely plan em. I just drink a ton of coffee, put on music and zone out for however long I can.
    nizza - thankzza... Tell ya what, I'll trade you five units of whatever it is I've got for five units of whatever it is you've got. Deal?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Ferg, if I had any money whatsoever, I'd offer to take that painting off your hands for a handsome price.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks swiz, but it wouldnt matter how many millions you offered me, I just FUCKING destroyed it while trying to put on a gloss finish. Insane paint rage ensued.

Either the climate here is too dry or the medium I used was too old, but it started beading up and turning white instantly, and my attempts to remove it just fucked it up worse. Looks like someone jizzed all over it then hired a drunk guy to scrape it clean with a rusty butter knife. FML.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man that sucks at least you snapped a shot of it before it was all fucked up. And yea the cold weather normally dries things out pretty fast... Cool stuff still!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Ferg wrote: »
    Looks like someone jizzed all over it then hired a drunk guy to scrape it clean with a rusty butter knife. FML.

I would like a picture of that.

On a serious note, awesome sculpt and painting. Can't wait to see some more of your work.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Nice dude- cool to see you flexin out some 3d asskickery mr. graffiti man :P
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    real shame that piece went down its was total bazoobs, so would have boughts that :'(
    always love seeings the canvases
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    have you ever considered making prints of your work? i would definitely be interested in buying something of yours..
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like someone jizzed all over it then hired a drunk guy to scrape it clean with a rusty butter knife. FML.

AND NOW IT IS ART!!!!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    i would have cried like a little bitch.

awesome painting anyway, totally glad you grabbed a snap of it thanks for sharing.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Fuckn'l man! loved that painting! Real nice mixture of wildstyle-ish and portrait! Do you have more canvases? Would be awesome to see more! And yeah, you should consider making prints of stuff like the painting! Looking forward to seeing the finished model! :D
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    I really like your work, sad that the painting's gone :(
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Vig - thanks, yeah, turns out the medium was too old. Apparently one of the ingredients slowly oxidizes in the bottle if there's much air inside it, and that's what happened. Always keep your acrylic medium in small bottles with only a little room for air kids!
    Zipfinator - Hah, thanks, and be careful what you wish for there buddy...
    konstruct - heh thanks man, and speak for yourself, mr graffiti man indeed
    mat - wellll I have some good news for you Mr Mat! I repainted the whole goddamn thing in a fit of righteous indignation, so you can still purchase it for the thousands of dollars you were originally planning to offer me! god bless america!
    Mike - Sort of, I assume it would take a lot of work and cost a lot though... if I got more interest I'd check it out, but I'd probably need to sell twenty or thirty to break even, based on my past experiences with printing. We shall seeee...
    Jesse - haha, so that's the secret eh?
    nfrrtycmplx - heh yeah, I almost did have myself a bitch cry... but then I flew into an art rage and repainted the whole thing, which was a lot more satisfying than crying
    sltrOlsson - thanks man, I do indeed have more canvas work, but my portfolio for them is down right now... I have a couple on the last page of my cghub though. I'll toss the traditional gallery back up once I get my portfolio back up, should happen within a month ish
    Hal - Thanks :) but not to worry, I resurrected it like jesus... see its hands!

So yeah, for those of you who didn't read my individual replies there, I repainted that acrylic piece all over again. Couldn't let the universe (and my own stupidity) just steal it from me like that. So that story has a happy ending after all.

On a sadder note, I probably wont be jamming as hard on that full character as I promised. I got more paid work so I won't have that much free time for a week or two... But I'll keep the busts flowin for now. Thanks for the words everyone!

warm up sketch from yesterday... robo ceasar is not feeling confident about his role in history

roboceasar_sm.jpg
    roboceasar.jpg.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay, way to get your painting back ^^

and pfft, paid work is overrated man. Should just chill out here making characters :)
    (that last head freaks me out btw, gj :3)
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    nizza - If only there was some way I could get paid... to make characters.... hmmmm....

Did a "splody" sculpt redux, cleaned up and re-rendered for the ultimate high-rez viewing experience... check the original here. Any crits on the presentation here would be super helpful, compositing/rendering isn't really my strongest area

splody_redux.jpg
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome, dude. It would be a great thing to print out and put on display somewhere at home.) Just an awesome piece of art, great work) higher rez does it more justice
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Haha that head is so fucked up! In the good way! :D Love it!

You can officially call that last head for HD™ now!
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    JESUS H. JOHNSON!

Ferg, can you try to be a little less awesome you're soakin up all the tallent. O_O

That crazy primary color head thingy is breathtaking. I can't think of a single thing to change, other than to get your name on that proud piece of sexy.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    d1ver - thanks man :) I've thought about doing that... too busy and broke now though
    sltrOlsson - thanks!
    natetheartist - thanks dude <3

today's warmup sculpt... it's a study... sort of. A thousand cookies to whoever can guess who it is, since it looks nothing like him. Mainly trying to shake up my old facial anatomy habits.

nicetry.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    totally Niko from GTA...or the lead singer from..nah I dunnno. Great stuff Ferg!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was gonna say Jean Reno but dunno man :P (still looks badass :3)
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    thanks guys, and yep, based off Jean Reno, good eye Nizza

Workin on a new portfolio here. Each image will lighten a little as a rollover effect... I'll add more images further down, but this should give an idea of the layout.

cheers

monkeyknifefightslayout_ver1.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, Few pointers that might help.

For the header. Red and white work nicely, though it is a bit unclear because of the background img being so damn white too. I'd try and darken that quite a bit, ditch the drop shadow or make it really soft. Maybe try a white pixel outline for the red text to make it read better. Maybe place the 3d artist behind your name to balance out the img, or lift it up a bit, because it is almost crawling into the text below.

The text inbetween, is that, pro for the left row and personal on the right ?

The thumbs, can use a bit more height, maybe 50 pixels but it will help display the work way better then having to cut it short. I would also consider using one example in it that is yelling click me, then having multiple, cause it gets REALLY busy, becomes distracting, and most do not add much.

The background grey of the thumbs, blends in to the background. Now that can be a plus, but right now it feels like they have no border and one thumb goes into the next. I would go for a darker tint background to have the work pop out more. I dont feel the need to have a harder outline since you get that lighting effect.

Last thing i would like to add is spacing. spaaaacinggg. there.
    Your thumbs should be cleaner by now, but if i try and look at one, the other thumb is right there screaming for attention and my eyes just bounch from image to image.
    By adding a good bunch of spacing it becomes a lot calmer, and i think you can concentrate on the work better. It becomes a rainbow once you add a ton of other images to it :D

Maybe that helps a bit, maybe i wasted your time, what i do know, is that my coffee is now cold, but thats oke cause your zbrush work keeps me warm. GIMME SOM MO!

Oh and my thoughts on that sculpt is Jean Reno too :P
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, i dont usually comment on peoples stuff but i love this. really beautiful!

how many subtools ?
    nizza - If only there was some way I could get paid... to make characters.... hmmmm....

Did a "splody" sculpt redux, cleaned up and re-rendered for the ultimate high-rez viewing experience... check the original here. Any crits on the presentation here would be super helpful, compositing/rendering isn't really my strongest area

splody_redux.jpg
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the exploding face of color :)
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    rens - Hell yeah! Thanks for the ideas, turns out I've got a month to get it updated to I'll have plenty of time to play with it and try a bunch of variations, gonna be nice to have a real portfolio again. And I definitely appreciate you sacrificing your hot coffee for the sake of my website.
    planaria - thanks! It's just two subtools, one for the head and one for the hair.
    ack master - cheers :)

almost didn't post this doodle... I'm really starting to notice the way I recycle the same anatomy for most of my sketches. I might work on this a bit more but it's gonna be my last head sketch until I get some studies done. Need to shake up the ol' mental library.

oldpunk1.jpg
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff, Ferg, love mr. splody-head and roboceasar, your shading style rocks. I kinda wish you had a full game-rez character like that, not just crazy busts :P
  • Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha wow man your work is crazy soo different but it's really refreshing.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    You're an inspiration man, 2d stuff especially. I would love to see a timelapse video of you making anything.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    thanks guys... no time to talk so here some stuff. Gonna add hair, tattoos and piercings to the sculpt tomorrow hopefully

also I've been stealing color schemes for my 2d warmup sketches from people on cghub

oldboy_900.jpg

skully.jpg

warmup2.jpg
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    You're quite artistic!! like your sense!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really starting to notice the way I recycle the same anatomy for most of my sketches.
    oldpunk1.jpg

You're crazy,

and so is this guy :D
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    roboceasar_sm.jpg

Fucking love this dood!
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Love your sculpts! So much style and character in each one.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    thanks guys! bed time quickie

birdooo.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    skully.jpg