Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Revel

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Revel interpolator
At last I've decided to create my personal Sketchbook thread. Mostly I'm going to use this thread for my 2D digital painting work because I realize that I need to start practice to draw again (for the whole 2010 I'm so full of 3D!).

So here is what I got starting first day in 2011 (probably you guys saw it in WAYWO 2011 thread already). A self portrait......for my facebook account lol :)

001hin.jpg

Second one, is a character design that I recently create it's called Ecorche...well simply because the direction is an ecorche-cyborg-ish dude (will post more about this later!).

closeupface001.jpg

Third, is a portrait of my 2 beautiful cousins.

sasafira.jpg

If you're a huge fans of Metal Gear Solid concept art, you might notice that I highly influenced by Mr. Yoji Shinkawa. Other than him, Frank Miller's Sin City is also an inspiration for my work, I like the looks of high contrast black and white on the brush stroke. And last but not least, my source of inspirations, are the whole Polycount community!

*Feel free to write anything in here, comments/ critics/ whatever as long as not picture as I want to keep this thread contain only my works. Thanks :)

_Revel

Replies

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Update! I've been working on this guy for a couple of days and here is the result. Hope you guys like it!

angelvd.jpg

The idea of him came when I'm at the office, finished modeling some assets and had quite a lot of free time after that, and just begin to draw something, then he was born!

*ok, for the face i intended to draw Dante from DMC, but turns out doesn't looks like him, so...

_Revel
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    Looks like you're off to a great start mate.

I'd recommend not spending too much time with the high contrast style as you might get stuck in the routine of doing it. Probably more fully rendered things will help you with form a bit more :) But keep the value range you have going on now, a lot of people tend to forget about contrast resulting in dull pieces.

I'd recommend some anatomy studies, even if it is just surface anatomy to to start getting things in proportion and in a more believable state (if that is what you are heading for, even if you're going for a more stylized feel it is always good to know how everything is place)

Keep up the drawing!

Cheers!
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Haha..my friend know me as a black and white guy, cus I like to design things as black and white (sometimes looking the silhouette and abstract line can be more interesting then the whole object). But I think doing only this kinda style won't get me anywhere. Especially after looking at peoples work around here (one of them is you :)), I realize color can be awesome if use correctly. That's why I'm trying to begin to use color in my work. I've tried in the latest Angel piece actually but it's a total FAIL lol so I delete the color and get back into my comfort zone.

OKAYS next piece will be in color!.......if it looks good heheh..

_Revel
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    Haha believe me my friend, I've gone through a lot of bad pieces to get to where I'm at. And I absolutely understand deleting or starting new pieces once you start heading towards that downward spiral. I found a way to overcome that by just messing it up even more with colour to create a chaotic piece, and then slowly try and bring it back (I found so many neat colour combinations and techniques this way) the only thing I say is just to keep at it and work through the struggle! :D

If you post some colour stuff up (even though it is a fail) I'll help you to the best of my abilities on trying to bring the piece forward
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Woow neat stuff you've posted so faar - i have a thing for black and white images...ahem! I agree with Allan-p, keep pushing yourself :) I'll be waiting for your next color image.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Dang, haven't got much free time lately (thanks to Resident Evil 5 a.k.a busy playing games after work lol)..anyway, I just post some of the sketch that I did way back (almost 2 years back). Based on my classmates characteristics (and yes, my class is that small in the college, minus one more girl...and no, it's not as good as what you think hahah)

mm68girls.jpg

Next image is more old (somewhere around 2007-2008), it's more traditional pencil on paper thingy, A3 size.

Travis Barker (most amazing drummer on earth!)

travisenhance.jpg

Some random girl from magazine

girlheartbreakenhance.jpg

Err...doodle

dollbn.jpg

Enjoy!

_Revel
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Updates!

Here are the drawings that I did during my free time at office. Finally can finish with colors! I LOVE colors lol..

--- Twins ---

twinsz.jpg

--- Cosplay Party ---

cosplayparty.jpg

Hope you like it enjoy!

_Revel
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    This one is my entry for Silent Hill concept art 'Be Buried In Silent Hill' competition. In short we need to design a burial sculpture which is..well, disturbing.

--- Dual Path ---

burialsculpturedualpath.jpg

Is there anyone here join the competition also? But submitting have to be via Facebook and I'm not too sure there's a lot of people here actually using Facebook lol..

_Revel
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Here is the Ecorche character that I created today, enjoy :)

--- Ecorche ---

closeupface.jpg

Slowly learning how to use colors in every piece that I created...and it actually fun!

_Revel
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Done another digital painting of my friend :)

--- Nisa ---

nisasmall.jpg

_Revel