Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Impalin Kaylun

InProgress
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
InProgress polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys!

Well, I was inspired by the Civil War to start off with something that pushes my skills, while also going for a fun project that I could add to my portofolio. For that reason, I chose Jouste's Impalin Kaylun The Super Skewer. I chose this concept because it has massive variation in it's materials (flesh, metal, cloth, latex-ish, rock/bone-like substance) so I could learn to sculpt them. Since it's a portofolio piece, I will also make a low poly for it. Basing off the 2 contests going now, it's going to be 10k tops (because it's a much simpler design), 2048x2048 texture maps (diff, normal, spec) and the deadline will be March 7th. (Because of peer pressure.)

This is the concept for it:

impalin___kaylun_by_jouste-d328o8r.jpg

And here's where I currently am. Fiddling with some parts and fixing normals so I can get to the main juicy part of it all, the sculpting.

kc5EB.jpg

Any feedback is most definitely welcome.

-InProgress

Replies

• makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very very nice concept looking forward to see more results
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @makecg: Thanks for stopping by. I'll do my best!

Sorry for the lack of updates. My exams are coming up, so updates will be far and few in between. I'm trying some different matcaps right now, but I'm not really getting a good result. If you have any suggestion for work matcaps, just say them.

Current progress:
    KBZ6x.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of progress done, because I went through a lot of trial and error and still have to go through a lot of it to get it at least decent. Worked on the hands and feet for now. Some feedback would be great.

PGIwm.jpg
    yCFlB.jpg
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good so far. All of Joust's designs look like they're a lot of fun to create.

The only thing I'd suggest is to make the gloves and clothing parts as separate subtools from the main body. It'll be much easier and cleaner to boot.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Norron: Thanks a lot for the suggestion. My initial thought for it was to learn to do hard edges on the armor, but then I quit on the gloves and made them a separate object.

@makecg: Thanks.

And once again, I only did a bit to relax after a long day of studying. The eyes came out better than I would have expected. Any feedback is welcome, as always.

zYBkL.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm such a slacker. Barely did any work on this, but started fleshing out a project I had in my mind for some time. I've added in a couple of new subtools, but spent most of my time tweaking and redoing detail on the foot and gloves.

vRtd7.jpg
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Limbs are looking a little spongy compared to the original concept. Check the volume and profiles of his knees and elbows again.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GarageBay9: Thanks for watching. I tried to fix the kness, hopefully it's not as spongy anymore.

Reworked the shape and worked on some of the props. The knife and sheat are finished, but still have work on the bag and one handed shotgun-revolver.

This will be probably the final update until after Dominance War. While the end result may not be as good as the other sculpted characters based on jouste's concepts, it's more of a practice and learning run. Already got enough info both on proper meshflow and Zbrush itself.

Here's a short list of things I did wrong because I didn't really pay attention, some of which are quite obvious:

1. Make sure your basemesh has consistent density all around.
    2. Save often and in different files, in case you have to revert to an older save.
    3. Sometimes, you just have to take a break from something for a bit to see the shapes better, especially if you're a slow modeler.

Enough of that, here are the updates.

PUhEd.jpgghE2f.jpg