Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spacecraft By Anthony

Replies

• Builder_Anthony
    Sup...
    This is 27 polys,but youll notice that some vertex are not all flat.`I dont understand snaping yet but id like all of them to be flat on same setting.Is there a way to flatten them out to the grid?Im reading up on it but could you post buttons to hit.

Theres also some parts floating around in the back that got rotated on accident.Ill have to figure that out as well.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    ...what am I looking at, exactly?
  • Builder_Anthony
    Well i created lines converted them to editable poly and spaced them.Each section is a differnt polygon.Theres no extrude on anything.Basicly 2d block out.
  • Builder_Anthony
    Anyone know how i could make this flat to eliminate the vertex points from not being even?I just want it flat as if drawn on a peice of paper.Just the grey part.3ds max11
  • Builder_Anthony
    I think i hit align to grid.

Learned today you can combine objects into a current group by creating a seperate group and then hit group group and itll make them into one group.

End of days work.
    endofday.jpg
  • Builder_Anthony
    No i dont have a concept photo.Funny i thought it looked like a fish also.jnbj.jpg
  • Builder_Anthony
    Learned you cant weld objects in the same group..
    .hj.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, i am also wondering what i am looking at :poly145:
    Looks like paper cut outs... basic ones.

Info please :)
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    are you using planes?
    you might want to try to start from a cube and extrude the faces to form the rough shapes you desire then from there add edge loops to really define your shape
    and if you need a little detail to create another cube and create the shape you want and just place it were it needs to go on the model, I'll show you what i mean, i need to find a render of the space ship i made and I'll show you. I hope this helps man.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is a little confusing at first but now I am starting to see a spaceship after a 6 pac.
  • Pete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i can see it, reminds me a bit of the Raptor from UT3

axon_raptor.jpg?atw_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2Fimgres%3Fimgurl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fusers.atw.hu%2Fblacklegion%2Fimages%2Fgallery%2Faxon_raptor.jpg%26imgrefurl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fusers.atw.hu%2Fblacklegion%2Findex.php%253Flinker%253Dkepek%26usg%3D__Cp4CMk7WAuamtjdXaCwMIQUmxJE%3D%26h%3D640%26w%3D1016%26sz%3D285%26hl%3Den%26start%3D0%26zoom%3D1%26tbnid%3Dwe1bS3TPtDJbWM%3A%26tbnh%3D118%26tbnw%3D188%26prev%3D%2Fimages%253Fq%253Dut3%252Braptor%2526um%253D1%2526hl%253Den%2526safe%253Doff%2526client%253Dfirefox-a%2526rls%253Dorg.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial%2526biw%253D1440%2526bih%253D720%2526tbs%253Disch%3A10%252C71%26um%3D1%26itbs%3D1%26iact%3Dhc%26vpx%3D659%26vpy%3D310%26dur%3D1508%26hovh%3D178%26hovw%3D283%26tx%3D162%26ty%3D104%26ei%3DDPcmTdDMHZLA4gbJ8KW8CQ%26oei%3Dx_YmTfrwMMawhQfcz-W3Dg%26esq%3D4%26page%3D1%26ndsp%3D26%26ved%3D1t%3A429%2Cr%3A15%2Cs%3A0%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D720
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    right I can't believe no-one has said this yet: You're doing it wrong. This is a very wrong way to model.

What people have said, I'll echo: Check out the tutorials that come with 3d studio max and google for some introductory tutorials like these: http://cg.tutsplus.com/category/tutorials/autodesk-3ds-max/?tag=basix

Generally when modelling you want to start with a plane or a geometric shape, then take edges and faces and use the extrude tool to grow out more geometry.
  • Builder_Anthony
    One or two man ship.

Expermenting with one or two man cockpits.One up front and one in the middle faceing backwards.

Im looking to add fans in the wings and tail or maybe adding a tail behind the back box.

Im not realy sure how its going to land either.

I started out drawning lines and extruding them......boy was that a mistake.Welding is a chore now but at least im learning new things like you can hit tools/grab viewport/save image.Thats for a picture.

Kind of makes me laugh you saw the ship after a six pack.
    If you see some small green men tell them to draw me a picture of there ride.
    kjkbk.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    you need to add depth to it,
    thats were a lot of people are getting confused
    take a render that shows the depth, right now it looks like you did it in Photoshop or illustrator.
    and really check out those tutorials man they'll help you alot.

try to pick a angel that you can see the depth and the shapes. and like i said id show you my spaceship wip so you can see that depth and the concept of starting from a cube or the basic shape of the object you eventually want it to become I.e if its a barrel off-coarse you want it start off with a cylinder as your primitive object
    spaceshipex.jpg
    but keep up the work man, keep at youll get it.
  • Builder_Anthony
    Edges look to sharp.

Will try champering again at 0.2 but i think i will get these small triangles again.Could use some tips on that.

I guess i have to figure out whats wrong with the top of the right windsheild.I have to cut a edge in there i think but that hasnt been going to well.
    tttttttt.jpg
    11311.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I don't understand what I'm seeing. You need to post a concept or reference if you want some feedback otherwise we have do idea what you are doing.
  • Builder_Anthony
    There is not concept drawing.

Im makeing the front nose of a aircraft with a windsheild and a wing.

I plan on mirroring this over to create the other side.

Im asking what step you would take next to smooth this.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony, you're going to have a pretty difficult time getting constructive advice and practical solutions to your problem with the way you're approaching this.

The first thing is that you don't really seem to have an established idea of what this ship is, nor are you actually communicating that to us. Usually we use concepts, drawings or even more sophisticated block outs to explain our idea to ourselves and others. We're virtually staring at floating shapes that we have no idea about and we're not really prepared to give you practical answers based on what you're giving us.

Second thing is that you seem a little green behind the ears. There's nothing wrong with that, we've all pretty much been there. The most helpful advice though, is to do some tutorials that will literally walk you through the steps of creating a model. Sure it's kind of a bugger not to be going out and modeling your own ideas, but the upside of it is that you actually gain some useful knowledge that you can apply elsewhere, and you get to at least create something that looks rather good.

You can look at trying something like this as a basic intro to modeling:
    http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/toaster/toaster_01.php

Or perhaps this if you feel like something a little more advanced:
    http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/fiat500/fiat500.php

As others have said, Max comes with some helpful tutorials for a lot of things and even using the help menu was something I did quite often when I was learning. Use some of this advice!
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    I'll echo Arcanox. You aren't ready to model your own ideas yet, and it will be a very long time before you are ready to model with no reference or concept picture. Don't feel bad about needing reference - even most professionals use reference and concepts, either drawn by themselves or someone else, for every model they make.

3ds Max has an excellent tutorial on modeling a chess set that takes you through nearly all the ways you can model, and it is very informative for beginners and easy to follow. Finish that tutorial and a couple of others and then come back to your spaceship with new skills.