Home Technical Talk

Tips for creating with only one photo

If you have tips please post.

Im new to 3dsmax11 and i ran into the problem of only haveing one image to work from,it was a photo that was angled the way 3ds max11's perspective viewport starts in default.One thing i did to create a rough side image of this was to use splines and trace out half of the picture in the perspective viewport.....basicly blocking it out with splines then id convert it to a editable poly and extrude 10.

I kept doing this over and over and if you look in the top viewport you can see it building a side image slowly.I then rendered it and saved the side view as a picture.

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Um....what? Pictures of whats going on would help a lot here.

Are you saying your trying to make orthographic images from a single perspective image? No idea how you could do that, I would just build it by eye at that point.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the title is not saying much either, very confusing post :(

Maybe you are referring to image modeling? or camera mapped modeling? 3dsMax has some build in tools to match a camera in 3d space to a 2d image by referencing a few points in the picture and 3d space. Its called camera match or so, just google it. Otherwise what gsokol said, just post images: makes it always easier for us to understand things.

edit: found a nice online resource:
    30.jpg
    tutorial on modeling models based on pictures (what image modeling is)
    http://d2d04grx5ahzvh.cloudfront.net/228_Max_CamMatch/30.jpg
  • Builder_Anthony
    Im sorry i cant really explain this with a photo because i overwrote my origional photo with the side view photo.

I didnt realize that camera trick though renderhdj.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I am still lost though at what you want :(
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I don't know what you're after either... are you asking for tips on creating depth when you only have one view? Or are you trying to Camera Match the FOV of a scene camera to a photo?

In addition to checking out Camera Match you might want to check out Match Mover which is used to create reference points in video so you can animate to something. I think it was included in 2011 or will be in 2012... it was on subscription and those things normally get rolled into the next release.

Also check out Image Modeler which has the potential to be very helpful for modeling sort of in the same way, but you need a lot of different views, its best if you can take a bunch of photos and feed those into it.
  • Builder_Anthony
    No im ok i dont need anything.I thought id start a thread to help people out but its just confused everyone.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    maybe you saved to many words, like a few more words on the introduction sentence might have pushed it in the right direction. I see now your angle but like others I assumed you were lost at first, kinda like if you can help me post some tips ;)

Writing good posts can be an art, because structure effort and pictures always matter. People are often lazy and especially here often don't understand a word you are writing until you add fancy images to them ;) Not writing to much can be good too as it increases the attention rate :D

While we are on the topic:
    Autodesk acquired a year or 2 imageModeler and Stitcher, booth products were owned before by a company that was specialized in Image Modeling and analyzing, a industry that provides tools to analyze and reconstruct scenes from photographs. Its often used in the crime scene to investigate areas based on picture footage, but its also used by insurance companies.
    03l.jpg
    There is some real cool software out there, its just that many of the people from the entertainment industry don't know much about them.
    I used imageModeler before but it takes a lot of input and its a lot less intuitive and fast as poly modeling in max. A simple camera mapping setup in max is usually faster for me.
  • Ben Apuna
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool